Re: file extensions not showing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by floffy, Jun 28, 2009.

  1. floffy

    floffy Guest

    nutzel;6371 Wrote:
    > I've been trying to help a friend of mine with a problem she is having
    > with
    > OE 6
    >
    > She's been having trouble with the opening of some *.pps attachments
    > which
    > have been a problem for her. I went to her house and showed her how I
    > solved
    > the same problem which I had awhile back. Here's how I did it.
    >

    > I right clicked the attachment and in the drop down list I saved it to
    > the
    > desktop.
    >
    > I then right clicked it while on the desktop and with the open with
    > command
    > opened it with the power point viewer.
    >
    > I also clicked the option to always this program with this kind of
    > file.
    >
    > This has worked fine. It even opens *.pps files while still in Outlook
    > Express.
    >
    > However, now when she gets an Windows Live she clicks it to open it,
    > it
    > says Power Point Viewer cannot open it. She never had this problem
    > before
    > with this type of program.
    >
    > I told her to put it on the desktop and to proceed from there as we did
    > with
    > the *.pps attachment but she couldn't do that because she couldn't get
    > the
    > Save As option as before.
    >
    > I then told her how to drag it to the desktop so that she could use the
    > Open
    > With command and open it with Windows Live Mail but it wouldn't drag.
    >
    > Oh! One other thing. None of the email attachments she gets show an
    > extension. Such as the *.eml in the attachment in Windows Live That
    > didn't
    > show up on her computer. I've got a hunch that it might have a
    > connection
    > with the indexing options in Control Panel. I really don't know what
    > that's
    > all about.
    >

    > Can any of you shed any light on any of this?

    Could be Association of the Files are not fine
    if it's to much prob with the computer, reinstall windows
    it long but fix everything

    --
    floffy
    floffy, Jun 28, 2009

  2. floffy, ye awful walleyed slave, it offends me to the soul to hear a
    robustious periwig pated fellow tear a passion to tatters, to very rags,
    ye mewled:

    lmfao
    Hu Flung Dung, Jun 28, 2009

  3. floffy

    richard Guest

    On 27 Jun 2009 22:39:08 -0400, "floffy" <>
    wrote:

    >nutzel;6371 Wrote:
    >> I've been trying to help a friend of mine with a problem she is having
    >> with
    >> OE 6
    >>
    >> She's been having trouble with the opening of some *.pps attachments
    >> which
    >> have been a problem for her. I went to her house and showed her how I
    >> solved
    >> the same problem which I had awhile back. Here's how I did it.
    >>

    >> I right clicked the attachment and in the drop down list I saved it to
    >> the
    >> desktop.
    >>
    >> I then right clicked it while on the desktop and with the open with
    >> command
    >> opened it with the power point viewer.
    >>
    >> I also clicked the option to always this program with this kind of
    >> file.
    >>
    >> This has worked fine. It even opens *.pps files while still in Outlook
    >> Express.
    >>
    >> However, now when she gets an Windows Live she clicks it to open it,
    >> it
    >> says Power Point Viewer cannot open it. She never had this problem
    >> before
    >> with this type of program.
    >>
    >> I told her to put it on the desktop and to proceed from there as we did
    >> with
    >> the *.pps attachment but she couldn't do that because she couldn't get
    >> the
    >> Save As option as before.
    >>
    >> I then told her how to drag it to the desktop so that she could use the
    >> Open
    >> With command and open it with Windows Live Mail but it wouldn't drag.
    >>
    >> Oh! One other thing. None of the email attachments she gets show an
    >> extension. Such as the *.eml in the attachment in Windows Live That
    >> didn't
    >> show up on her computer. I've got a hunch that it might have a
    >> connection
    >> with the indexing options in Control Panel. I really don't know what
    >> that's
    >> all about.
    >>

    >> Can any of you shed any light on any of this?

    >Could be Association of the Files are not fine
    >if it's to much prob with the computer, reinstall windows
    >it long but fix everything

    Reinstall won't fix the problem. That will only reset the defaults and
    you'd have to go back through all of your custom changes and do it
    over again.
    richard, Jun 28, 2009