Re: file downloads freeze up

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by bob@drebs.com, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    > From: thanatoid <>
    >> like i said, windows 3.1 works good but i want the dos file
    >> transfers as it's simpler, faster

    >Are you SURE this is actually the case?
    >
    >> and uses zmodem.

    zmodem has always worked flawlessly for me with the 486 and since nothing
    on the hard drive has changed, i was wondering if there needs to be port
    setting adjustment of some sort. the p133 motherboard ran win95 on another
    hard drive but i got sick and tired of mucking with the registry which is
    why i prefer dos and win3.1. win3.1 however uses kermit for file transfer
    and is a noticeably slower (over 5 times) than dos 6 and zmodem via either
    procomm and/or telix. everything else related to my university work is the
    same from the simple changeover to the p133 except this download freeze
    which is why i hoped it would be a simple adjustment somewhere.

    >I disagree with the other poster, if it works, why junk it? This
    >machine is 9.5 years old and runs win95B beautifully, faster
    >than XP or Vista do on 3GHz machines. I can do anything on the
    >Internet that I want to, too, and I don't have to update
    >anything (except for Spybot and virus signatures, just in case).
    >Anyway, I don't have to tell you - you are not a moron who is
    >already lined up to get his/her copy for Vastly Intrusive
    >Spyware Trojan Assortment.

    you should trademark that nickname. i love it. :)

    >Anyway. I suspect zmodem might be the problem. I don't know
    >enough to be sure. But it doesn't matter. Install Win95B or C
    >(this is a 166 but I have run 95B on a 486 just fine) and get a
    >nice download manager and/or an FTP program to handle the file
    >transfers. I use FileHound
    >([6] http://www.allabout.com/afs/software/filehound/ - many other
    >such dl mgrs are ad- or spyware), and WS-FTP, FWIW. They are
    >both fast as hell and full of great features.

    dos kermit also locks up. win3.1 kermit works okay which is why i think
    win3.1 is adjusting the port setting the way it needs to be done in dos so
    i'm wondering if an init change will do it.

    the university account is a unix system and doesn't allow non-terminal
    server connections so tcp/ip is out. i need just a terminal program and
    hyperterminal for w95 is a kludge so i use procomm or telix for dos. my
    problem isn't the software but a hardware malfunction that may be fixed by
    an init adjustment but nothing i've tried so far seems to have any effect.

    i use unix once logged in. i don't care for linux as you need a big system
    for that too. my dos 6/win3.1 uses 8mb ram tops. let's see xp or vista do
    that. i prefer the command line any day to graphic crap. i type over 90
    words a minute when i need to.

    thanks for the feedback.

    , Jan 21, 2007

  2. thanatoid Guest

    wrote in

    >> From: thanatoid <>
    >>> like i said, windows 3.1 works good but i want the dos
    >>> file transfers as it's simpler, faster

    >>Are you SURE this is actually the case?
    >>
    >>> and uses zmodem.

    > zmodem has always worked flawlessly for me with the 486 and
    > since nothing on the hard drive has changed, i was
    > wondering if there needs to be port setting adjustment of
    > some sort.

    I've actually managed (in one of my sparer moments) to connect
    to the internet with win 3.1 and it was a bit of a struggle. I
    don't know enough about unix/linux or even DOS to attempt that,
    anyway, I'm happy with my 2 machines running 95B and 98SELite.

    >>I disagree with the other poster, if it works, why junk it?
    >>This machine is 9.5 years old and runs win95B beautifully,
    >>faster than XP or Vista do on 3GHz machines. I can do
    >>anything on the Internet that I want to, too, and I don't
    >>have to update anything (except for Spybot and virus
    >>signatures, just in case). Anyway, I don't have to tell you
    >>- you are not a moron who is already lined up to get
    >>his/her copy for Vastly Intrusive Spyware Trojan
    >>Assortment.

    > you should trademark that nickname. i love it. :)

    I wish it WERE a nickname. I am absolutely convinced that is
    exactly what it is. It is quite clear from everything I've read
    that the most important concern (besides forcing everyone to buy
    new software and hardware) is DRM, and the NSA has admitted to
    "approving" the OS.

    <SNIP>

    > dos kermit also locks up. win3.1 kermit works okay which is
    > why i think win3.1 is adjusting the port setting the way it
    > needs to be done in dos so i'm wondering if an init change
    > will do it.
    >
    > the university account is a unix system and doesn't allow
    > non-terminal server connections so tcp/ip is out. i need
    > just a terminal program and hyperterminal for w95 is a
    > kludge so i use procomm or telix for dos. my problem isn't
    > the software but a hardware malfunction that may be fixed
    > by an init adjustment but nothing i've tried so far seems
    > to have any effect.

    My actual "tech" knowledge is quite limited but I have a program
    which I don't believe can be easily or at all found on the web
    anymore, it's a DOS "ports" program which I have used to figure
    out various modem problems a long time ago before I finally got
    Windows to work the way it should. It's under a meg - probably
    half a meg zipped, I can post it for you if you have access to
    binary groups.

    > i use unix once logged in. i don't care for linux as you
    > need a big system for that too. my dos 6/win3.1 uses 8mb
    > ram tops. let's see xp or vista do that. i prefer the
    > command line any day to graphic crap. i type over 90 words
    > a minute when i need to.

    Obviously, like me, you're not crazy about the computer these
    days being nothing but the 2nd idiot box... Still - progress,
    right?

    Let me know if you want the "PortInfo and the CTS Serial Port
    Utilities" program for DOS and if so, do you want rar or zip.
    I would post it to a.b.warez.ibm-pc.old.

    thanatoid, Jan 21, 2007