Re: FIC AZ31 USB

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Paul, Jun 17, 2009.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    a concerned member of the usenet community wrote:
    > FIC AZ31
    >
    > Did this board have USB 1.1 or 2.0? FIC does not have support for it
    > anymore, I guess.
    >

    > Thanks!

    I don't know if I could find a page on the via.com.tw site any more,
    which documents the 686a Southbridge. One Anandtech article mentions
    the 686a supports four USB ports, and another posting with a
    Linux DMESG output, indicates UHCI.

    00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 10) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    I/O ports at 5c80
    Capabilities: <available only to root>

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_controller_interface

    "The OHCI standard for USB is similar, but supports USB 1.1
    (full and low speeds) only

    Universal Host Controller Interface (UHCI) was created by
    Intel for USB 1.0 (full and low speeds).

    Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) is a high speed
    controller standard which is publicly specified. The USB-IF
    insisted on this for USB 2.0"

    So if that DMESG is accurate, the 686a Southbridge is USB 1.0.

    http://www.baber.com/baber/411/fic_az31.htm

    If there is a spare PCI slot, it is easy enough to fix. Install
    a USB2 PCI card in a spare PCI slot. You can then get better
    speeds for your USB2 devices. Then you should see an EHCI
    entry in DMESG, and an "Enhanced" entry in the USB section
    of Device Manager in Windows. If you have an older Windows OS, you
    might want to get a USB card that comes with drivers.

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-124-008-S06?$S640W$

    ( Based on NEC uPD720101 $10 )
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124008

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 17, 2009

  2. Paul

    Paul Guest

    a concerned member of the usenet community wrote:
    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> a concerned member of the usenet community wrote:
    >>> FIC AZ31
    >>>
    >>> Did this board have USB 1.1 or 2.0? FIC does not have support for it
    >>> anymore, I guess.
    >>>

    >>> Thanks!
    >>>

    >> I don't know if I could find a page on the via.com.tw site any more,
    >> which documents the 686a Southbridge. One Anandtech article mentions
    >> the 686a supports four USB ports, and another posting with a
    >> Linux DMESG output, indicates UHCI.
    >>
    >> 00:07.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 10) (prog-if 00
    >> [UHCI])
    >> Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
    >> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 11
    >> I/O ports at 5c80
    >> Capabilities: <available only to root>
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_controller_interface
    >>
    >> "The OHCI standard for USB is similar, but supports USB 1.1
    >> (full and low speeds) only
    >>
    >> Universal Host Controller Interface (UHCI) was created by
    >> Intel for USB 1.0 (full and low speeds).
    >>
    >> Enhanced Host Controller Interface (EHCI) is a high speed
    >> controller standard which is publicly specified. The USB-IF
    >> insisted on this for USB 2.0"
    >>
    >> So if that DMESG is accurate, the 686a Southbridge is USB 1.0.
    >>
    >> http://www.baber.com/baber/411/fic_az31.htm
    >>
    >> If there is a spare PCI slot, it is easy enough to fix. Install
    >> a USB2 PCI card in a spare PCI slot. You can then get better
    >> speeds for your USB2 devices. Then you should see an EHCI
    >> entry in DMESG, and an "Enhanced" entry in the USB section
    >> of Device Manager in Windows. If you have an older Windows OS, you
    >> might want to get a USB card that comes with drivers.
    >>
    >> http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-124-008-S06?$S640W$
    >>
    >> ( Based on NEC uPD720101 $10 )
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124008
    >>
    >> Paul

    > Thanks.
    >
    > I finally got back to it a while ago (nasty storms about w/tornadoes and
    > all) and see that your enhanced entry is not present on that box where it is
    > on others. Makes sense, I guess.
    >
    > I have a card I can put in there for him but won't have a front jack
    > available so I guess I'll have to put a hub up on his desk so he can use
    > flash drives on it. I'm not sure it will transfer as fast for him but at
    > least he can use it.
    >
    > Thanks again...

    The cards typically come with one internal port. At one time, you could
    find cards with a 2x5 pin header, or a 1x5 pin header, and there were
    some front panel USB solutions compatible with that. I don't know if
    the regular USB connector, available inside the computer, is going to help
    quite as much.

    (Card with a regular USB connector, mounted inside the computer.
    This is currently the most common option.)
    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/15-124-008-S01?$S640W$

    This Koutech card uses a VIA main chip (unlike the NEC on the
    first one I posted). But it has a 2x5 header on the PCI card. And
    that would be compatible with the connector available on
    some computer cases.

    For example, my Antec Sonata has two front mounted USB connectors,
    and the case comes with a 2x5 female connector and cabling. That
    is plugged in to either a PCI card like the following one, or
    into a 2x5 on the motherboard.

    (Card with a 2x5 header, compatible with cabling inside some cases)
    Koutech Model IO-PU222
    http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/15-201-008-02.jpg

    If there are zero ports on the front of the computer, you used to be
    able to get "5.25 inch I/O trays" to mount in a disk drive position.
    That is one way to add front mounted connectors, when a case has none.
    Again, the selection is a lot smaller than it used to be. And without
    nice pictures of the cable ends, it is pretty hard to tell whether
    this should be purchased or not.

    SILVERSTONE SST-FP32-B Aluminum USB/1394/Audio Panel
    http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/13-999-356-02.jpg

    This is an example of Silverstone documentation.

    http://www.silverstonetek.com/downloads/pindefine.jpg

    Frontx.com also makes accessories and cabling, if you have
    the dollars to spend.

    Paul
    Paul, Jun 18, 2009