Re: FF camera with mirrorless design

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bob Williams, Apr 19, 2010.

  1. Bob Williams

    Bob Williams Guest

    Alfred Molon wrote:
    > Who would be interested in a camera with a large (FF or even bigger)
    > sensor, with a high pixel count (let's say 24MP or more) and
    > interchangeable lenses, but with a very compact body due to a mirrorless
    > design?
    >
    > Would be great to have such a thing, but I suspect that the market for
    > such a camera would be quite small, because pros usually like big and
    > heavy.

    I don't know about the size of the market, but I certainly would be
    interested in a SMALL FF digital camera with a 28-105 IS zoom and an
    EVF. Wouldn't even have to have interchangeable lenses. Fifteen years
    ago, Olympus made a P/S film camera (FF by definition)that was compact,
    pocketable, and had a 4X Zukio zoom lens. Image quality was superb.
    In those days, a compact P/S with a good 4X lens was almost a cult camera.
    Physics does not prohibit a small FF camera with a 4X zoom lens because
    Olympus has already created one 15 years ago.
    I wouldn't even go for outrageous MP counts. About 8MP would be plenty.
    It could produce 8x10s at 300ppi, which is enough for most photographers
    including wedding photographers. The pixel sites would be so large that
    its light gathering power would be awesome. ISO 6400 or higher would be
    a piece of cake. It would be the penultimate "available light" camera,
    a boon for indoor and night time shooters. Also because of the large
    pixel sites, this camera would become the P/S stop-action camera of
    choice. Shooting outdoor action at f=5.6 and 1/2000 sec at ISO 800 would
    become the norm!
    With time, maybe FF sensors will be cheap enough to incorporate into
    compact P/S cameras.
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Apr 19, 2010

  2. "Bob Williams" <> wrote in message
    []
    > I don't know about the size of the market, but I certainly would be
    > interested in a SMALL FF digital camera with a 28-105 IS zoom and an
    > EVF.

    []
    > Bob Williams

    What about:

    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

    24-120mm (eq) lens.

    Not followed up by Sony.

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 19, 2010

  3. "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > In article <hqh4ie$oi2$-september.org>, David J Taylor
    > says...
    >> What about:
    >>
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

    > It's not FF.
    > --
    >
    > Alfred Molon

    ... neither is it what I would call "compact". I suspect FF would be even
    bulkier.

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 19, 2010
  4. Bob Williams

    sobriquet Guest

    On 19 apr, 20:15, Alfred Molon <> wrote:
    > In article <hqh4ie$-september.org>, David J Taylor
    > says...
    >
    > > What about:

    > >  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonydscr1/

    > It's not FF.

    It has an exceptionally large sensor for a non-interchangeable lens
    camera.
    If only Canon would come up with something similar, preferably on 4 AA
    batteries
    and with an articulated (swivel) display.

    sobriquet, Apr 20, 2010