Re: FF 3.5 Starts Very Slowly

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Ralph Fox, Jul 3, 2009.

  1. Ralph Fox

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 03:37:31 -0400, in message <>
    "Bishoop" <> wrote:

    > I just upgraded to FF v3.5.
    >
    > The first time I start FF after the Win XP machine I'm using it takes almost
    > a minute for FF to come up. During this time there is lot's of harddrive
    > activity. Subsequent FF starts are fast.
    >
    > Any clues as to why this is happening.

    I would guess your virus scanner wants to scan FF before allowing it to
    run the first time.

    Before starting Firefox, open the XP Task Manager on the "Processes" tab
    and make sure the "Page Fault Delta" column is displayed. When you
    start Firefox, which processes are showing high PF Delta values?

    > Never anything like this with other
    > FF versions.

    I haven't noticed a significant difference with Firefox 3.5.

    If you want a Gecko-based browser that loads faster, try K-Meleon
    http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ . I find that K-Meleon loads
    faster than any version of Firefox.

    (For other readers: K-Meleon is Windows only. Linux
    users should try Galeon http://galeon.sourceforge.net/ )

    --
    Regards
    Ralph