Re: FF 3.04 high RAM + CPU usage

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by John Doe, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Pat" <just_a_ghost@in_this_house.com> wrote:

    > Hi. I just switched to Firefox 3.04 from the last V.2, hoping it
    > would resolve the constant freezing and crashing I was suddenly
    > experiencing with this browser. But the only change was for the
    > worse.
    >
    > I looked up all the info that is appearing online about this
    > problem, and applied all of the suggested fixes including making a
    > new profile, blocking scripts and flash, cleaning the temp files
    > and cookies and history, disabling ALL of the plug-ins, and a
    > whole bunch of tweaking via about:config. All to no avail. Hoping
    > to find some new suggestions here.

    I don't understand how tweaking is supposed to solve a 99% CPU usage
    problem.

    Try reinstalling Firefox.

    > The problem is the longer the browser is open, the more it uses
    > the CPU and the more RAM it ties up. Most of the time it keeps CPU
    > usage at 99-100% and is using well over 500MB of RAM.

    Mine easily uses about 120 MB of RAM, but only 2% CPU.

    > It has become impossible to use it much at all, let along use it
    > as I once could. At one time I could have dozens of tabs open
    > without any sort of slowdown.
    >
    > I am using Windows XP with all of the available patches to date.

    The problem probably has something to do with how Firefox is
    interacting with your system (that means every single thing on your
    system, including stuff that other programs install and reconfigure).
    When I install Windows, I make incremental backups of the whole
    Windows partition, so when something goes wrong during the
    installation or at any time later, I can revert to a known good copy
    and continue from there. That probably doesn't help you, but that's
    what I would do if it's important enough.

    --
    The first big front wheel rollerblades.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/3056505603

    John Doe, Dec 10, 2008

  2. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Pat" <just_a_ghost@in_this_house.com> wrote:
    > "John Doe" <> wrote

    >| The problem probably has something to do with how Firefox is
    >| interacting with your system (that means every single thing on
    >| your system, including stuff that other programs install and
    >| reconfigure). When I install Windows, I make incremental backups
    >| of the whole Windows partition, so when something goes wrong
    >| during the installation or at any time later, I can revert to a
    >| known good copy and continue from there. That probably doesn't
    >| help you, but that's what I would do if it's important enough.
    >
    > Are you suggesting that I reformat the hard drive to solve this???

    If you aren't even willing to reinstall Firefox, I wouldn't expect
    you to reinstall Windows. Whether you're willing to reinstall
    Windows might depend on how badly you want to solve your problem.

    Also possible is to use a disk manager and avoid the draconian
    practice of reformatting the whole disk. Then you can keep personal
    files on another partition separate from for Windows partition. But
    you still need to backup copy important files to removable media.

    I would consider the possibility that you have a polluted
    installation of Windows. Windows installations don't last forever,
    especially not typically when used by someone who opens dozens of
    browser windows at the same time. Sometimes a user is afraid to
    reinstall Windows because he has too much stuff (including important
    personal files) on the hard drive that is difficult to replace.

    Again, do you keep a copy of important files from your hard drive to
    removable media?

    John Doe, Dec 10, 2008

  3. John Doe

    Go **** yourself.

    John Doe, Dec 10, 2008
  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Reiss wrote:

    > This is precisely why the handicapped one called John Doe should
    > be ignored.

    Says a nym-shifting troll.

    In your short posting history, Pat, this isn't the first time you've
    asked for free help while expecting reply authors to guess about
    important information you haven't provided. I can tell easily enough
    that you haven't tried reinstalling Firefox, Pat. But instead of
    cooperating, your response was to play a guessing game. Also, when I
    suggested reinstalling Windows, I included the disclaimer "That
    probably doesn't help you, but that's what I would do if it's
    important enough." The latter part of that is absolutely true, Pat.
    You are the only person that can determine whether using Firefox is
    important enough to reinstall Windows (or at least to reinstall
    Firefox).

    John Doe, Dec 11, 2008