Re: few linux laptop problems...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Jan 8, 2010.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jan 8, 4:49 pm, starlyte <> wrote:
    > i have a couple of problems with my linux laptop

    This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy .
    There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his mates)
    who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux. They have suffered
    Linux purgatory for years. They can only be masochists or anti-Linux
    trolls (no doubt M$ or M$ partners' employees). Otherwise they would
    have stuck to Windows.

    peterwn, Jan 8, 2010

  2. In message <25f84b90-9ce7-41d6-be34-
    >, peterwn wrote:

    > This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy .

    Not to me. I’m prepared to take descriptions of problems at face value, at
    least to start with.

    > There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his mates)
    > who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux.

    We have some like that here, but they make themselves pretty obvious: they
    can’t help slagging off the system right from the word go. Makes it easy to
    shun them.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 8, 2010

  3. peterwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:
    > On Jan 8, 9:17 pm, peterwn <> wrote:
    >> On Jan 8, 4:49 pm, starlyte <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> i have a couple of problems with my linux laptop

    >> This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >> . There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his
    >> mates) who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux. They have
    >> suffered Linux purgatory for years. They can only be masochists or
    >> anti-Linux trolls (no doubt M$ or M$ partners' employees). Otherwise
    >> they would have stuck to Windows.

    > i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac OS,
    > But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
    > i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
    > windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
    >
    > im using basically to save money.

    [snip]

    Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:

    > Thanks for your helpful response.
    > money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

    You can't have it both ways.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 11, 2010
  4. peterwn

    Sailor Sam Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

    >>> This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>> . There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his
    >>> mates) who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux. They have
    >>> suffered Linux purgatory for years. They can only be masochists or
    >>> anti-Linux trolls (no doubt M$ or M$ partners' employees). Otherwise
    >>> they would have stuck to Windows.

    >> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac OS,
    >> But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
    >> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
    >> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
    >>
    >> im using basically to save money.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your helpful response.
    >> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

    > You can't have it both ways.

    A fool and his money.

    Sailor Sam, Jan 11, 2010
  5. peterwn

    Enkidu Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

    >>> This sounds like the trolling that goes on in comp.os.linux.advocacy
    >>> . There seem to be a small hard core of people (flatfish and his
    >>> mates) who seem to have no end of trouble with Linux. They have
    >>> suffered Linux purgatory for years. They can only be masochists or
    >>> anti-Linux trolls (no doubt M$ or M$ partners' employees). Otherwise
    >>> they would have stuck to Windows.

    >> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac OS,
    >> But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
    >> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
    >> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
    >>
    >> im using basically to save money.

    > [snip]
    >
    > Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for your helpful response.
    >> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

    > You can't have it both ways.

    Of course he can. "Like" is not the same as "Insist on".

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 11, 2010
  6. peterwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Allistar wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

    >>> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac
    >>> OS, But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
    >>> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
    >>> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
    >>>
    >>> im using basically to save money.

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for your helpful response.
    >>> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

    >> You can't have it both ways.

    > "Free" doesn't necessarily refer to monetary cost.

    Did you only look at the last few words? In both quotes "money" was
    specifically mentioned. If 'money' isn't 'monetary' then I'm the sugar-plum
    faerie.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 11, 2010
  7. peterwn

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Enkidu wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Somewhere on teh intarwebs starlyte wrote:

    >>> i am not a troll, nor am i anti linux. granted im not a fan of Mac
    >>> OS, But alot of people are. Its just not my cup of tea
    >>> i have been brought up using windows, at work there is a mixture of
    >>> windows, linux, mac and even some irix machines
    >>>
    >>> im using basically to save money.

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >> Yet in your reply to Lodi you wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for your helpful response.
    >>> money is not an issue, i do like the idea of "free and open source"

    >> You can't have it both ways.
    >>

    > Of course he can. "Like" is not the same as "Insist on".

    C'mon Cliffie, you can read better than that. He said he likes 'the idea of
    "free and open source"'. Nowhere was 'like' used to refer to saving money or
    the cost of the OS.

    To simplify, the relevant bits are:

    a) "im using basically to save money"

    b) "money is not an issue"

    Two statements that directly contradict each other.
    --
    Cheers,
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jan 11, 2010