Re: Feedback on SP3

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jeff Strickland, May 6, 2008.

  1. Service Pack 3? For WinXP?

    I seriously doubt it is legitimate. I've not heard of anything like this,
    and XP is not even supported anymore. Well, it won't be supported in a
    couple of weeks.

    I'd hold off because it sounds like a scam ...

    Jeff Strickland, May 6, 2008

  2. Why would Bill & Co., launch SP3 less than 30 days before they plan on
    stopping support of the OS that the service pack is designed for? That
    sounds lke pure folly to me.
    Jeff Strickland, May 6, 2008

  3. Re: Feedback on SP3 -- PS

    I'm not arguing that there is no SP3. I mentioned it earlier, but if you say
    there is one, I'm prepared to accept it at face value.

    I'm asking what the background is that would have them (Bill and the Boys)
    release an update just mere days before they will pull the plug on the OS,
    and clear the entire wing of the building to get ready for the next project.
    It seems costly to me to expend the engineering manpower during the final
    days of a product set. I suppose if I had a personal fortune of $50B, a few
    thousand manhours to engineer something to support something that was going
    away wouldn't mean very much to the bottom line.

    Jeff Strickland, May 6, 2008
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >> Why would Bill & Co., launch SP3 less than 30 days before they plan on
    >> stopping support of the OS that the service pack is designed for? That
    >> sounds lke pure folly to me.
    >>

    > I can't attach a gif, but here's the text when I turn on autoupdate (
    > notify only)
    > I would assume that MSFT has a scheme for choosing pc's to autoupdate ,
    > otherwise would be doing millions of pc's on one day. Perhaps Dave and
    > my s/n , etc is is that group for today.
    >
    > When I click update shield, I see: ( did CTRL C and paste)
    >
    > XP Service Pack 3
    >
    > Size: 66.9 MB - 316.4 MB
    >
    > Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is an update to Windows XP that
    > addresses key feedback from our customers and is a cumulative update
    > that includes all previously released updates for Windows XP, including
    > security updates. Windows XP SP3 contains a small number of new updates
    > and should not significantly change the Windows XP experience. After you
    > install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
    >
    > More information for this update can be found at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929

    And I think that is the significant part, that will put Jeff's mind at
    ease. "cumulative update" - meaning if you've been using Windows Update
    until the current time, you probably have the best part of it already
    installed into your SP2 based OS. It is not like the purpose of SP3 is
    to bunge a whack of new code into your machine. You got most of it
    incrementally. Now, if they're forcing a few utilities in there as well,
    versions that you don't want, that might make me think twice.

    "you may have to restart your computer" -- I guess that passes for
    humor at MSFT...

    Paul
    Paul, May 7, 2008
  5. Jeff Strickland

    Fred Guest

    Re: Feedback on SP3 -- PS

    > I'm not arguing that there is no SP3. I mentioned it earlier, but if you
    > say there is one, I'm prepared to accept it at face value.
    >
    > I'm asking what the background is that would have them (Bill and the Boys)
    > release an update just mere days before they will pull the plug on the OS,
    > and clear the entire wing of the building to get ready for the next
    > project. It seems costly to me to expend the engineering manpower during
    > the final days of a product set. I suppose if I had a personal fortune of
    > $50B, a few thousand manhours to engineer something to support something
    > that was going away wouldn't mean very much to the bottom line.

    Xp is being withdrawn as a retail product soon.
    Some OEM's will still be able to sell XP with computers after the cutoff
    date, as an example the Asus Eeepc will be sold with XP as an option.
    Certain Vista licenses include the right to downgrade to XP using the Vista
    license key.
    Microsoft recently stated that XP security updates will continue for
    24months after the release of SP3.
    You would expect XP to be considered end of life when Windows seven is
    released.
    Fred, May 7, 2008
  6. Jeff Strickland

    Wilson Guest

    sometime in the recent past - Bobb - posted this:
> [...]

    >> supported in a couple of weeks.
    >>
    >> I'd hold off because it sounds like a scam ...

    > ======
    >
    > It's legit. It showed up on my PC too.
    > I have it set to 'notify me' so then turned off auto-update.
    >
    > I had just set this to family ( all are casual users)
    >
    > ... as of today a MAJOR Windows XP update has been released.
    > I suggest that you do not have your PC install it automatically.
    > READ this FIRST.
    > Turn OFF autoupdate - now.
    >
    > How ?
    >
    > Click Start
    > then Control Panel
    > then System
    >
    > Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click
    >
    > " Turn off auto-update" (bottom option)
    >
    > Having done that - NOW you can read the rest of this .
    >
    > SP3 = XP Service Pack 3. It is a compilation of the last 18 months of
    > updates ( a few hundred ?). SP3 will be a BIG download and will install
    > Internet Explorer 7 as well as a few hundred other fixes/updates. So,
    > ESPECIALLY if you like the look and feel of Internet Explorer 6 do not
    > do it. Also, if you use Outlook Express, it changes to Microsoft Mail (
    > big difference)
    > ( to see if IE6 or IE7, open Internet Explorer then click "HELP" then
    > 'about'. It will list Internet Explorer Version 6.... or 7xxxx)
    >
    > IE7 isn't BAD, just different.
    > If you're using IE7 and Microsoft Mail already - you won't notice.
    > If you use a web browser for email then you won't care about mail
    > change, but Internet Explorer's look will change.
    >
    > To read about it:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929
    >
    > If you do want it ( having issues ?) , wait a week or two in case any
    > major bugs reported.
    > Also there will be thousands (millions ?) of pc's downloading it for
    > next few days so it will take even longer than normal. If you don't
    > mind - do be aware that
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173#tab0
    >
    > 1. it takes a lot of disk space
    > 2. it will take quite a while to install and
    > 3. DO NOT cancel it once it starts.
    >
    > You can also choose to check - "just notify me" ( my usual setting.)
    > That way it checks but YOU give the OK before anything happens. THAT's
    > how I noticied that SP3 is now released.
    > Click Start
    > then Control Panel
    > then System
    >
    > Click the Automatic Updates tab, and then click
    >
    > "Notify me..."
    >
    > When you choose this setting to autoupdate, your system checks the
    > Windows Update site periodically for critical updates ( SP3) while the
    > computer is connected to the Internet but the connection to the Internet
    > is not being used.
    >
    > After Automatic Updates has compiled a list of available updates, a list
    > of updates is displayed. Click any updates that you want to download.
    > Automatic Updates downloads only the updates that you selected. When the
    > download is complete, you are prompted to install the updates.

    But if you don't download SP3, won't you have trouble with subsequent
    updates? Just a thought.

    --
    Wilson N45 W67
    Wilson, May 7, 2008
  7. Jeff Strickland

    olfart Guest

    >> <snipped>
    >>

    > But if you don't download SP3, won't you have trouble with subsequent
    > updates? Just a thought.
    >
    > --

    SP3 isn't going on any (4) of my machines. Updates are turned off and will
    stay that way. It was assinine to include all previous updates and patches
    in SP3 since some of them I chose not to install when they were released. XP
    runs fine for me as it is. Support will end soon anyway and then there wil
    be no more updates to fix suspected security holes and other flaws. A good
    Firewall, A/V and spyware program as well as somecommom sense when online is
    all you need.
    olfart, May 7, 2008
  8. Jeff Strickland

    Baron Guest

    olfart wrote:

    >>> <snipped>
    >>>

    >> But if you don't download SP3, won't you have trouble with subsequent
    >> updates? Just a thought.
    >>
    >> --

    > SP3 isn't going on any (4) of my machines. Updates are turned off and
    > will stay that way. It was assinine to include all previous updates
    > and patches in SP3 since some of them I chose not to install when they
    > were released. XP runs fine for me as it is. Support will end soon
    > anyway and then there wil be no more updates to fix suspected security
    > holes and other flaws. A good Firewall, A/V and spyware program as
    > well as somecommom sense when online is all you need.

    Do you honestly think that just turning off updates will stop your
    machine from being updated if M$ so wishes !

    I'm glad I don't have to suffer any of that !
    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, May 7, 2008
  9. Jeff Strickland

    Wilson Guest

    sometime in the recent past olfart posted this:
    >>> <snipped>
    >>>

    >> But if you don't download SP3, won't you have trouble with subsequent
    >> updates? Just a thought.
    >>
    >> --

    > SP3 isn't going on any (4) of my machines. Updates are turned off and will
    > stay that way. It was assinine to include all previous updates and patches
    > in SP3 since some of them I chose not to install when they were released. XP
    > runs fine for me as it is. Support will end soon anyway and then there wil
    > be no more updates to fix suspected security holes and other flaws. A good
    > Firewall, A/V and spyware program as well as somecommom sense when online is
    > all you need.

    I found this thread after I started to put SP3 on the wife's XP (my laptop
    is running Vista.) I checked the 'what to do before installing SP3' and
    didn't find the patches they warned about installed, so I let the download
    begin. Result was SP3 failed to install anyway. I don't intend to run the
    download again.

    Set updates to notify with automatic turned off was always a better idea
    than waking up to find another patch was installed in the night.

    --
    Wilson N45 W67
    Wilson, May 8, 2008
  10. Jeff Strickland

    JJ Guest

    I downloaded and installed SP-3 on both our machines at home and had no
    trouble. Both running XP-Pro. It did not delete Outlook Express and I was
    already using IE-7.
    Joe J

    JJ, May 8, 2008
  11. Jeff Strickland

    JJ Guest

    Re: Feedback on XP SP3 - how long to slipstream

    Well that is certainly odd because it took over 40 minutes on both my
    machines including restart. Download at 100kbps, then the install.

    Joe J.

    JJ, May 9, 2008