Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2010.

  1. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 04:06:24 +1000, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    : "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    : news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    : > An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack got
    : > jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came loose and
    : > swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
    : >
    : > < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
    : >
    : > I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
    : >
    : > --
    : > Regards,
    : >
    : > Savageduck
    : >
    :
    : Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
    : easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop the
    : race immediately????

    Obviously they would have if an official had seen the jack. But that's easier
    said than done. The track would be anywhere from one to three miles long, and
    until all drivers have passed a flag stand and seen the yellow caution flag,
    there's nothing to slow them down. (Actually stopping, i.e. red-flagging, the
    race would have been more dangerous than letting it continue, since a stopped
    car is a sitting duck for those behind it. You do that only if the track ahead
    is impassable.)

    In the best of all worlds, the officials would be able to push a button and
    send a radio signal to turn on a big yellow light on each car's dashboard. But
    that isn't easy either. The cars don't use the same radio frequency, so all
    the radios would have to be modified, along with the installation of equipment
    at the track. All doable, but of doubtful feasibility. (Somebody may tell me
    that they've already done that, but I've not heard of it.)

    The primary fault lies with the driver's pit crew. Not only did they screw up
    by letting the car leave with the jack attached; as soon as they saw the jack
    being dragged, they should have radioed the driver to pull over and notified
    the officials to put out the yellow flag. It makes you think that they were so
    inattentive that they didn't see the jack being dragged when the car left. A
    month's suspension for the head of the pit crew might help him get his mind
    right, but one somehow doubts that it will happen.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2010

  2. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2010 18:32:40 -0700, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
    wrote:
    : On 2010-07-03 17:05:51 -0700, Robert Coe <> said:
    :
    : > On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 04:06:24 +1000, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    : > : "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    : > : news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    : > : > An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack got
    : > : > jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came loose and
    : > : > swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
    : > : >
    : > : > < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
    : > : >
    : > : > I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
    : > : >
    : > : > --
    : > : > Regards,
    : > : >
    : > : > Savageduck
    : > : >
    : > :
[...]
    : The FIA fined the team for the incident (amount was not specified) the
    : driver Alberto Valerio was absolved of fault for this incident as he
    : had no way of knowing what had actually happened. However he and his
    : two team mates have been penalized 10 grid positions each for the next
    : race at Silverstone, for their role in causing a collision during the
    : Sprint race.
    :
    : GP2 does have the F1 EM LED Marshal flag and Race Control Management system.
    : < http://www.fia.com/oldautomotive/issue6/institute/article4.html# >
    : This has been in the cars since 2007 and places an LED array in the
    : cockpit giving the driver all the major marshal flag signals. So the
    : driver could have been signaled to return to the pits with a red flag,

    Black, I believe. Red stops the whole race.

    : it was not clear that he had been given that signal. As far as a local
    : yellow caution was concerned, that only became relevant once the debris
    : was on the track.
    : Once the jack broke away, he was free to continue racing.
    : These cars also have an Accident data recorder required by the FIA.
    :
    : GP2 is seen as a major stepping stone to F1 and most of the new
    : additions to the F1 ranks were GP2 stars. < http://gp2series.com/ >

    Interesting. I knew nothing about those in-car systems.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2010

  3. "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    []
    > Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant, so
    > Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
    > someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
    > yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.

    "Watch for the flashing black LED".....

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 4, 2010
  4. Robert Coe

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 08:32:50 +0100, "David J Taylor"
    <> wrote:
    : "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    : news:2010070320304550073-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    : []
    : > Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant, so
    : > Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
    : > someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
    : > yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.
    :
    : "Watch for the flashing black LED".....

    "... through your IR-sensitive glasses."

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2010
  5. David J Taylor wrote:
    > "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    > []
    >> Correct, but the system does not have a Black flag/light equivenant,
    >> so Red would be the only option as a signal to him, unless there is
    >> someothe combination of lights which indicates a Black such as a
    >> yellow+Red, or Yellow+Blue, that I do not know.

    > "Watch for the flashing black LED".....

    There could easily be a LED covered with a black bubble that'd flash.
    The flashes wouldn't be quite pure black, but it'd be clear the black
    one was activated.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jul 4, 2010