Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter, Jul 3, 2010.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    >
    > "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    > news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    >> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack got
    >> jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came loose
    >> and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
    >>
    >> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
    >>
    >> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> Savageduck
    >>

    >
    > Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
    > easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
    > the race immediately????




    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

    --
    Peter
     
    Peter, Jul 3, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Peter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:35:04 +1000, "Pete D" <> wrote:

    >
    >
    >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >news:4c2f8033$0$5502$-secrets.com...
    >> "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >>> news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    >>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack
    >>>> got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came
    >>>> loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
    >>>>
    >>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
    >>>>
    >>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
    >>>>
    >>>> --
    >>>> Regards,
    >>>>
    >>>> Savageduck
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
    >>> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
    >>> the race immediately????

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peter

    >
    >LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
    >

    Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
    spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.

    I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    the crashes.

    I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
    are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
    crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.
    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Jul 4, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 2010-07-04, tony cooper wrote:
    ....
    > Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
    > spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
    >
    > I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    > zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    > the crashes.


    No, that's NASCAR. Formula 1 and its feeder groups (GP2 etc,),
    serious crashes are few and far between.

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
    Author: =======================
    Pro Bash Programming: Scripting the GNU/Linux Shell (2009, Apress)
    Shell Scripting Recipes: A Problem-Solution Approach (2005, Apress)
     
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jul 4, 2010
    #3
  4. tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:35:04 +1000, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> "Peter" <> wrote in message
    >> news:4c2f8033$0$5502$-secrets.com...
    >>> "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>>
    >>>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >>>> news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    >>>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack
    >>>>> got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came
    >>>>> loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> --
    >>>>> Regards,
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Savageduck
    >>>>>
    >>>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
    >>>> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
    >>>> the race immediately????
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Peter

    >> LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
    >>

    > Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
    > spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
    >
    > I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    > zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    > the crashes.
    >
    > I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
    > are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
    > crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.


    Forgot about him till you mentioned it; it was horrifying at the time.
    (Wasn't there, iae.)

    At the same time, I can remember "The Catch" by SF 49'er Dwight Clark
    via Joe Montana, and about where in the end zone Clark was, but I can't
    remember the final score nor even what year the game was.

    --
    john mcwilliams
     
    John McWilliams, Jul 4, 2010
    #4
  5. Peter

    tony cooper Guest

    On 4 Jul 2010 02:13:25 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    <> wrote:

    >On 2010-07-04, tony cooper wrote:
    >...
    >> Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
    >> spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
    >>
    >> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    >> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    >> the crashes.

    >
    > No, that's NASCAR. Formula 1 and its feeder groups (GP2 etc,),
    > serious crashes are few and far between.


    All the more reason to keep attending. The rare catch is worth
    waiting for.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Jul 4, 2010
    #5
  6. Peter

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:59:49 -0400, tony cooper <>
    wrote:
    : On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:35:04 +1000, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    :
    : >
    : >
    : >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    : >news:4c2f8033$0$5502$-secrets.com...
    : >> "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    : >> news:...
    : >>>
    : >>>
    : >>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    : >>> news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    : >>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack
    : >>>> got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came
    : >>>> loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
    : >>>>
    : >>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
    : >>>>
    : >>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
    : >>>>
    : >>>> --
    : >>>> Regards,
    : >>>>
    : >>>> Savageduck
    : >>>>
    : >>>
    : >>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
    : >>> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
    : >>> the race immediately????
    : >>
    : >>
    : >>
    : >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    : >>
    : >> --
    : >> Peter
    : >
    : >LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
    : >
    : Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
    : spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
    :
    : I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    : zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    : the crashes.

    I think you're being silly. I haven't watched nearly as many races as you
    have; but when I do, it certainly *isn't* to see crashes. Indeed, ctashes
    disrupt the action and contribute more boredom than excitement.

    : I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
    : are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
    : crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.

    They can tell you who won the previous two. What created so much excitement
    that year was that Vukovich was going for his third win in a row. That's why
    everyone remembers that particular crash.

    Automobile racing is far safer than it used to be, yet its popularity is
    higher than ever. That more and more people are watching in the hope of seeing
    rarer and rarer crashes is an explanation that makes little sense, IMO.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2010
    #6
  7. Peter

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:43:51 -0700, Paul Furman <> wrote:
    : Pete D wrote:
    : > "Peter" wrote
    : >> "Pete D" wrote
    : >>> "Savageduck" wrote
    : >>>
    : >>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear
    : >>>> jack got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It
    : >>>> came loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
    : >>>>
    : >>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
    : >>>>
    : >>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
    : >>>
    : >>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack
    : >>> could easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they
    : >>> not stop the race immediately????
    : >>
    : >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    : >
    : > LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
    :
    : Or what's the photog's life compared to a chance at the money shot <g>.

    Er... Let's not lose sight of the fact that no one (not even the photographer)
    was killed or injured in this incident. It didn't take any other cars out of
    the race. And the camera was wrecked only because it was poking through a
    (very beefy) fence.

    Bob
     
    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2010
    #7
  8. "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    > zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    > the crashes.
    >
    > I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
    > are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
    > crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.


    Since F1 became less of a character against adversity thing and more like
    watching a car on a rolling road supervised by a team of coffee sipping
    technicians I quit watching.

    Sure, it's safe and consumerised now. Some would say that's "better" and
    must be a "success" but you could say that about dumbed down and blandified
    news media and bubblegum movies.

    I've got no illusions left about about war and poverty but the same blow
    dried sofa set want "results" and the second you have to "do" anything they
    disappear behind a cloud of passive-anger NIMBY whining.

    --
    Charles E Hardwidge
     
    Charles E Hardwidge, Jul 4, 2010
    #8
  9. Peter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:26:00 -0400, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 21:59:49 -0400, tony cooper <>
    >wrote:
    >: On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:35:04 +1000, "Pete D" <> wrote:
    >:
    >: >
    >: >
    >: >"Peter" <> wrote in message
    >: >news:4c2f8033$0$5502$-secrets.com...
    >: >> "Pete D" <> wrote in message
    >: >> news:...
    >: >>>
    >: >>>
    >: >>> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
    >: >>> news:2010070301394675249-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom...
    >: >>>> An incident at the Valencia GP2 race. After a pit stop, the rear jack
    >: >>>> got jammed and was taken for a ride through several corners. It came
    >: >>>> loose and swatted a fat lens poking through the fence.
    >: >>>>
    >: >>>> < http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7YC1WNUaGk&NR=1 >
    >: >>>>
    >: >>>> I hope that guy had the lens, and/or camera & lens insured.
    >: >>>>
    >: >>>> --
    >: >>>> Regards,
    >: >>>>
    >: >>>> Savageduck
    >: >>>>
    >: >>>
    >: >>> Just shows how little control they have at these races, the jack could
    >: >>> easily have gone over a fence and killed someone, why did they not stop
    >: >>> the race immediately????
    >: >>
    >: >>
    >: >>
    >: >> $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    >: >>
    >: >> --
    >: >> Peter
    >: >
    >: >LOL, true, what is a couple of dead people compared to the cash?
    >: >
    >: Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
    >: spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
    >:
    >: I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    >: zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    >: the crashes.
    >
    >I think you're being silly. I haven't watched nearly as many races as you
    >have; but when I do, it certainly *isn't* to see crashes. Indeed, ctashes
    >disrupt the action and contribute more boredom than excitement.


    Yeah, I know. *No one* goes to a race to see a crash. Crashes aren't
    interesting. That's why every one stands up and gapes. That's why
    those that can bring out their cameras when there's a crash. That's
    why the next day's newspaper feature the crash photo and not the zip,
    zip, zip, scene as the cars pass by. That's why the television news
    plays and replays and replays the crash. That's why the live coverage
    dwells on the crashes.

    No one wants to admit watching races to see the crashes, but I don't
    believe them for a minute.

    I've only been to one NASCAR race. When my son was at University of
    Alabama we took him to Talladega as a birthday present. What did I
    watch?

    You have any idea how many really good looking tattooed women there
    are in Alabama? And where they have those tattooes? I really don't
    like the idea of defacing one's body with a tattoo, but I thought it
    necessary to take a really good look to make sure there hadn't been
    advances in the art that would make me change my mind.

    I didn't pay much attention to the menfolk, but I saw enough to know
    that a flood would wreak terrible damage in Alabama. Those belt
    buckles would be like anchors.

    I want to be clear that I don't think that NASCAR fans are not firing
    on all cylinders, but the average fan doesn't seem to be able to
    remember driver's names. They can only remember one or two digit
    numbers. I think #3 is popular because it's easy to remember and it
    fits nicely on a cap.

    I've never been to a Formula 1 race. They can't be all that
    interesting if they've been doing it all these years without being
    able to come out with at least Version 2. They should put Bill Gates
    in charge. He'd come up with new versions and make the cars that ran
    in the old versions non-compatible. Good for the car making economy.







    >: I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
    >: are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
    >: crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.
    >
    >They can tell you who won the previous two. What created so much excitement
    >that year was that Vukovich was going for his third win in a row. That's why
    >everyone remembers that particular crash.
    >
    >Automobile racing is far safer than it used to be, yet its popularity is
    >higher than ever. That more and more people are watching in the hope of seeing
    >rarer and rarer crashes is an explanation that makes little sense, IMO.
    >
    >Bob


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Jul 4, 2010
    #9
  10. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 4 Jul 2010 02:13:25 GMT, "Chris F.A. Johnson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On 2010-07-04, tony cooper wrote:
    >>...
    >>> Well, a spectator getting killed once in a while is a fair trade. The
    >>> spectators are there in hopes of seeing a driver crash and burn.
    >>>
    >>> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    >>> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    >>> the crashes.

    >>
    >> No, that's NASCAR. Formula 1 and its feeder groups (GP2 etc,),
    >> serious crashes are few and far between.

    >
    > All the more reason to keep attending. The rare catch is worth
    > waiting for.
    >



    I thought the main reason to watch the races was an excuse to drink beer.

    Without knowing the actual count, I suspect there are more beer drinkers at
    a NASCAR event than photographers.

    --
    Peter

    The more beer I drink the better my shots look to me.
     
    Peter, Jul 4, 2010
    #10
  11. Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 19:43:51 -0700, Paul Furman <> wrote:


    > :
    > : Or what's the photog's life compared to a chance at the money shot <g>.
    >
    > Er... Let's not lose sight of the fact that no one (not even the photographer)
    > was killed or injured in this incident. It didn't take any other cars out of
    > the race. And the camera was wrecked only because it was poking through a
    > (very beefy) fence.


    Arguably- and there will be arguments- the photog was in the wrong by
    poking his equipment through the fence; could be a distraction to the
    drivers.

    --
    john mcwilliams
     
    John McWilliams, Jul 4, 2010
    #11
  12. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Bill Graham" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >
    > "Charles E Hardwidge" <> wrote in message
    > news:i0pvol$fuj$-september.org...
    >> "tony cooper" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>
    >>> I've been to races. Don't tell me that people go to see the cars go
    >>> zip, zip, zip, in front of them for a few hours. They're waiting for
    >>> the crashes.
    >>>
    >>> I was at the 1955 Indianapolis 500 (and several other 500s). There
    >>> are people who were there that will relate that they saw Bill Vukovich
    >>> crash and die, but can't tell you who won the race.

    >>
    >> Since F1 became less of a character against adversity thing and more like
    >> watching a car on a rolling road supervised by a team of coffee sipping
    >> technicians I quit watching.
    >>
    >> Sure, it's safe and consumerised now. Some would say that's "better" and
    >> must be a "success" but you could say that about dumbed down and
    >> blandified
    >> news media and bubblegum movies.
    >>
    >> I've got no illusions left about about war and poverty but the same blow
    >> dried sofa set want "results" and the second you have to "do" anything
    >> they
    >> disappear behind a cloud of passive-anger NIMBY whining.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Charles E Hardwidge

    >
    > For the life of me, I can't understand why people like watching a bunch of
    > specialty cars race around an oval track at nearly 200 MPH. What is there
    > about this that even faintly resembles driving anything on a, "road"? When
    > I was young, I used to go out to South Hampton, Long Island, and watch
    > real road racing.....I had a friend who drove a Fiat-Abarth in those
    > races, and sometimes won. He would race his car in the single modification
    > class, and by adding a cardboard "fin" to the rear, he would also compete
    > in the two modification class. Then, during the week, he would drive the
    > same car to work every day, because it was his only means of
    > transportation, and it was street legal.....Those were the days of real
    > racing, and I could identify with it very well. Today, you might as well
    > watch a bunch of jet planes race for all the comparison to real driving it
    > has.



    They do allow smoking at NASCAR events. Here's your big chance Billy Boy.

    --
    Peter
     
    Peter, Jul 5, 2010
    #12
  13. Peter

    David Kerber Guest

    David Kerber, Aug 10, 2010
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Rik Bain
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    413
    Martin Bilgrav
    Oct 30, 2003
  2. Jimchip

    Re: N Scale Signal Targets

    Jimchip, Aug 22, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    572
    Jimchip
    Aug 22, 2003
  3. Tech

    Trojan Horse Targets Pocket PCs

    Tech, Aug 5, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    519
  4. Rich Wellner

    Temp and gamma targets for fuji frontier

    Rich Wellner, Sep 29, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    410
    Rich Wellner
    Oct 1, 2003
  5. Robert Coe

    Re: Fat lenses can be fat targets

    Robert Coe, Jul 4, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    449
    John McWilliams
    Jul 4, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page