Re: fastvoip.com

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Steve Terry, May 16, 2011.

  1. Steve Terry

    Steve Terry Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > Anyone tried this for making cheap phonecalls they appear to have an
    > 0800 number and free calls to uk numbers for 3 months when you
    > deposit £10. No need to use a computer other than to sign up
    > Stephen

    Blimey! That's useful for Giffgaff's free 0800

    I hope payment by paypal is available, i wouldn't trust any other method

    Steve Terry
    --
    Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
    http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk
    Steve Terry, May 16, 2011

  2. Steve Terry

    Graham. Guest

    "Steve Terry" <> wrote in message news:iqs7ao$4fd$...
    > Stephen Hammond wrote:
    >> Anyone tried this for making cheap phonecalls they appear to have an
    >> 0800 number and free calls to uk numbers for 3 months when you
    >> deposit £10. No need to use a computer other than to sign up
    >> Stephen
    >>

    > Blimey! That's useful for Giffgaff's free 0800
    >
    > I hope payment by paypal is available, i wouldn't trust any other method
    >
    > Steve Terry
    > --
    > Get a free GiffGaff PAYG Sim and £5 bonus after activation at:
    > http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gfourwwk

    Do you need credit in your GiffGaff account in order to make free 0800/0500/0808
    calls?

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., May 17, 2011

  3. Steve Terry

    Steve Terry Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > "Graham." wrote in message news:iqsb22$poa$...
    >
    > "Steve Terry" <> wrote in message
    >> Stephen Hammond wrote:

    <snip>
    > Do you need credit in your GiffGaff account in order to make free
    > 0800/0500/0808
    > calls?

    Nope, nor additional top ups

    Steve Terry
    Steve Terry, May 20, 2011
  4. Steve Terry

    Steve Terry Guest

    Stephen Hammond wrote:
    > Come on someone must have tried it :(
    >
    > I'm not too keen after I wasted my money on on lycratalk or whatever
    > it is 2p per minute for 0800 access not 1p Mr Terry.

    2p per min to call landlines from a GiffGaff mobile a waste of your money!!

    I'm soooo... Sorry

    and the callthrough is called lycatalk
    http://www.lycatalk.co.uk/

    and yes they charge 1p per min extra for calling through their 0800

    Steve Terry
    Steve Terry, May 20, 2011
  5. In uk.telecom.voip Steve Terry <> wrote:
    > Blimey! That's useful for Giffgaff's free 0800
    >
    > I hope payment by paypal is available, i wouldn't trust any other method

    No Paypal, but things like Moneybookers, cashU and UKash. I think some of
    those vouchers can be bought at PayPoint/Zone/etc outlets. Hmm, they claim
    Paypal but didn't offer it to me:
    http://www.fastvoip.com/en/payment

    For a credit card there's 19% VAT plus 36p transaction fee on top (just like
    Betamax, but with Netherlands VAT not 15% Luxembourg).

    I just made a test call via the 0800 dialthrough to myself: seemed to work
    fine and cost nothing. They don't appear to support CLID though (the usual
    'number not available').

    Registrant:
    EasyTel bv
    Haarlemmerstraatweg 32
    Oegstgeest, ZH 2343 LB
    NL

    Domain Name: FASTVOIP.COM

    Registrant:
    Easytel bv
    Apollolaan 138
    Amsterdam 1077 BG
    NL

    Domain Name: TULPSOLUTIONS.COM
    (also registered there belkaart.be)

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, May 21, 2011
  6. Steve Terry

    Graham. Guest

    "Theo Markettos" <> wrote in message news:9Oh*...
    > In uk.telecom.voip Steve Terry <> wrote:
    >> Blimey! That's useful for Giffgaff's free 0800
    >>
    >> I hope payment by paypal is available, i wouldn't trust any other method

    > No Paypal, but things like Moneybookers, cashU and UKash. I think some of
    > those vouchers can be bought at PayPoint/Zone/etc outlets. Hmm, they claim
    > Paypal but didn't offer it to me:
    > http://www.fastvoip.com/en/payment
    >
    > For a credit card there's 19% VAT plus 36p transaction fee on top (just like
    > Betamax, but with Netherlands VAT not 15% Luxembourg).
    >
    > I just made a test call via the 0800 dialthrough to myself: seemed to work
    > fine and cost nothing. They don't appear to support CLID though (the usual
    > 'number not available').
    >
    > Registrant:
    > EasyTel bv
    > Haarlemmerstraatweg 32
    > Oegstgeest, ZH 2343 LB
    > NL
    >
    > Domain Name: FASTVOIP.COM
    >

    > Registrant:
    > Easytel bv
    > Apollolaan 138
    > Amsterdam 1077 BG
    > NL
    >
    > Domain Name: TULPSOLUTIONS.COM
    > (also registered there belkaart.be)
    >

    > Theo

    Some of the "resellers" offer PayPal, there is a default selection of several
    resellers depending on the country you choose to be in when signing up.
    There is nothing at all to indicate that those resellers have any connection with that country.
    quite the contrary in fact. You can choose resellers from other countries other than the default ones.
    As an example ckvoip13 has no merit stars and is the last on the default list for UK
    His website is down, but he has a standby one, a webs.com one which somehow does not
    fill me with confidence.

    Assuming the system is a viable one and not a complete scam, it must
    be manual because you have to type your username and voip brand in to fields longhand.
    All the Betamax brand icons are there, and fastvoip all by itself.

    I made up a username and put voipfuck as the provider and off I was whisked to the Paypal
    site to pay 11.80 euros 10.55GBP
    Incidentally this WAS the genuine Paypal site, it was not a phishing expedition, that was
    my first thought.

    I'm not sure they would have credited voipfuck if I had finished the transaction.
    (Of course I didn't).

    I can't get my head round why Fastvoip would encourage buyers to buy a voucher
    from a third party whilst on the fastvoip site, can someone explain the concept?
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., May 22, 2011
  7. In uk.telecom.voip Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    > I just made a test call via the 0800 dialthrough to myself: seemed to work
    > fine and cost nothing. They don't appear to support CLID though (the usual
    > 'number not available').

    I called some African destinations via the 0800 callthrough. One call
    worked fine, with reasonable audio quality. Another call wasn't answered
    (because my contact wasn't there) and eventually ended up at a message in
    Dutch that I couldn't understand. Another call had what felt a bit like
    YouTube buffering problems... I was getting bursts of audio spaced by
    silences. I also was having trouble with Skype to the same person, so it
    could have been Fastvoip were terminating VOIP in-country and the
    international internet link was struggling.

    So not an unqualified success, but moderately positive. Africa is a pretty
    difficult target for VOIP and quality problems are fairly usual. Quality
    was not as good as Betamax on this trial, but we'll see how it goes...

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, May 24, 2011
  8. In uk.telecom.voip Theo Markettos <> wrote:
    > Another call had what felt a bit like YouTube buffering problems... I was
    > getting bursts of audio spaced by silences. I also was having trouble
    > with Skype to the same person, so it could have been Fastvoip were
    > terminating VOIP in-country and the international internet link was
    > struggling.

    I'm now having severe problems with the 0800 callthrough. It either refuses
    to connect, or gives me stuttery background noise (like the VOIP codec is
    bandwidth limited), but the 'please enter your account number' message isn't
    played. Tried with both a mobile (yesterday and today) and a landline just
    now, so it's not my end.

    I haven't tried them for VOIP so I don't know if this affects that service,
    but for callthrough it's unusable.

    Theo
    Theo Markettos, Jun 6, 2011