Re: FastStone Image Viewer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Linda Galdieri, Jan 1, 2010.

  1. > FastOne is wonderful but I never did like how the FSViewer overlays text
    > onto a digital photograph
    >
    > Do you know if the newer FastOne has solved any texting-usability issues?

    I should mention FastOne certainly adds text to photos better than
    Irfanview 4.22 or MSPaint 5.1 does text (both IrvanView and MSPaint require
    you to guess the textbox size ahead of time but neither IrfanView nor
    MSPaint will automatically resize the textbox when you inevitably need more
    or less textbox room).

    On the other hand, Paint.Net 3.36 overlays text without needing a text box
    to be guessed at and invariably resized. Paint.Net will even let you move
    the text box to a new location on the photograph when you need that too.

    Do you know if this latest version of FastOne handles texting better?

    Linda Galdieri, Jan 1, 2010

  2. On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 02:39:36 +0100, Yrrah wrote:

    > Perhaps there are people who prefer the IrfanView way of adding text
    > because they don't want an automatically resized text box.

    I always had a dislike for the IrfanView default approach which requires a
    text box to place text inside of. The Paint.Net method, by default, seems
    so very much cleaner (because there is no text box when placing text, by
    default).

    If FastStone (thanks Seabat) could just turn off the text box, it would be
    great for texting photos. Likewise for MSPaint.

    Does anyone know if this latest FastStone (or IrfanView) has the ability to
    turn OFF the textbox when adding text to a digital photo?

    Linda Galdieri, Jan 2, 2010

  3. Linda Galdieri

    F. Reeware Guest

    Linda Galdieri <> wrote:

    > I always had a dislike for the IrfanView default approach which requires a
    > text box to place text inside of. The Paint.Net method, by default, seems
    > so very much cleaner (because there is no text box when placing text, by
    > default).

    It appears that people's preferences can differ. What a surprise :)

    F. Reeware

    F. Reeware, Jan 2, 2010
  4. On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 05:09:22 +0100, F. Reeware wrote:

    >> IrfanView requires a text box to place text inside of.
    >> Paint.Net method needs no text box when placing text

    > It appears that people's preferences can differ. What a surprise :)

    Having the option text either way is what I'm searching for.

    It would be nice if the software allowed either method of texting (text box
    or not).

    Linda Galdieri, Jan 2, 2010
  5. Linda Galdieri

    WalksOnBy Guest

    On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:23:02 -0800, Linda Galdieri
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 05:09:22 +0100, F. Reeware wrote:
    >
    >>> IrfanView requires a text box to place text inside of.
    >>> Paint.Net method needs no text box when placing text

    >> It appears that people's preferences can differ. What a surprise :)

    >Having the option text either way is what I'm searching for.
    >
    >It would be nice if the software allowed either method of texting (text box
    >or not).

    While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) try
    inexpensive Photoline from www.pl32.net On the Layout menu choose "Text to
    Picture". There you will find all sorts of options. Automatic text input of
    EXIF fields, font selection, foreground and background colors,
    transparencies, outline, 3D text, shadows, special effects, etc. Save your
    favorites as any preset you like for further quick access. It creates the
    text as an independent layer that you can then later manipulate (resize,
    move, change the text attributes, change the text, effects, etc.) right on
    the photo till your heart's content. After that layer is created then click
    on the Text tool when that layer is selected and it acts just like any
    other text layer.

    WalksOnBy, Jan 2, 2010
  6. Linda Galdieri

    Yrrah Guest

    WalksOnBy <>:

    > While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) try
    > inexpensive

    Then don't post in 'alt.comp.freeware'.

    Yrrah

    --
    Some of the best of the best in Freeware
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/

    Yrrah, Jan 2, 2010
  7. Linda Galdieri

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Jan 2, 2010
  8. Linda Galdieri

    WalksOnBy Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 03:23:52 -0800, John Corliss <>
    wrote:

    >WalksOnBy wrote:
    >> Linda Galdieri wrote:

    >>> Having the option text either way is what I'm searching for.
    >>>
    >>> It would be nice if the software allowed either method of texting (text box
    >>> or not).

    >> While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) (snip)

    >Then why not remove ACF from the crossposting? Alt.comp.freeware is
    >supposed to be for the discussion of freeware, not commercial software.

    Then remove RPD from the crossposting.

    WalksOnBy, Jan 2, 2010
  9. Linda Galdieri

    WalksOnBy Guest

    On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 13:27:13 +0100, Yrrah <> wrote:

    >WalksOnBy <>:
    >
    >> While not freeware (this is also being x-posted to rec.photo.digital) try
    >> inexpensive

    >Then don't post in 'alt.comp.freeware'.
    >
    >Yrrah

    Then don't post in rec.photo.digital

    WalksOnBy, Jan 2, 2010
  10. Allen wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >> On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:04:56 -0800, John Corliss wrote:

    >> Lied and in case you don't like it, I live in the United States where
    >> freedom of speech is guaranteed by our constitution. Not only that, but
    >> I have lots of guns *also a constitutional right here* so if anybody
    >> else comes after me, I can simply shoot them to death.

    > Plonk!

    Please don't publically plonk, esp. x-posted.

    alt.comp.freeware out.

    --
    lsmft

    John McWilliams, Jan 3, 2010
  11. Linda Galdieri

    John Corliss Guest

    Re: FastStone Image Viewer (Forgery)

    Somebody pretending to be John Corliss wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >> (removed the forgery)

    The post to which I'm replying is a forgery which I did not send. It was
    sent through x-privat.org, with whom I don't have an account. I only
    post through Computer Country (an ISP in Oregon) or occasionally,
    through my account with Eternal-September.org.

    The alt.comp.freeware group is being flooded with forgeries. Keep your
    eyes open by checking message headers, specifically looking for
    "x-private.org" in the path statement. Better yet (if you can) set your
    news reader to flag everything sent through x-privat.org. Note though,
    x-privat.org isn't the only service being used to post forgeries to this
    group.

    --
    John Corliss BS206. Using News Proxy, I block all Google Groups posts
    due to Googlespam, and as many posts from anonymous remailers (like

    No ad, cd, commercial, cripple, demo, nag, share, spy, time-limited,
    trial or web wares OR warez for me, please.

    John Corliss, Jan 3, 2010
  12. Linda Galdieri

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    Re: FastStone Image Viewer (Forgery)

    John Corliss <> wrote in news:hhpbdj$552$-
    september.org:

    > Somebody pretending to be John Corliss wrote:
    >> John Corliss wrote:
    > >> (removed the forgery)

    > The post to which I'm replying is a forgery which I did not send. It was
    > sent through x-privat.org, with whom I don't have an account. I only
    > post through Computer Country (an ISP in Oregon) or occasionally,
    > through my account with Eternal-September.org.
    >
    > The alt.comp.freeware group is being flooded with forgeries. Keep your
    > eyes open by checking message headers, specifically looking for
    > "x-private.org" in the path statement. Better yet (if you can) set your
    > news reader to flag everything sent through x-privat.org. Note though,
    > x-privat.org isn't the only service being used to post forgeries to this
    > group.

    A forger is posting in this group using my email address in his headers.

    --
    Bear Bottoms
    Freeware website: http://bearware.info

    Bear Bottoms, Jan 3, 2010
  13. Linda Galdieri

    Keith Nuttle Guest

    Re: FastStone Image Viewer (Forgery) Sometimes

    On 1/3/2010 5:47 AM, Bear Bottoms wrote:
    > John Corliss<> wrote in news:hhpbdj$552$-
    > september.org:
    >
    >> Somebody pretending to be John Corliss wrote:

    >> The post to which I'm replying is a forgery which I did not send. It was
    >> sent through x-privat.org, with whom I don't have an account. I only
    >> post through Computer Country (an ISP in Oregon) or occasionally,
    >> through my account with Eternal-September.org.
    >>
    >> The alt.comp.freeware group is being flooded with forgeries. Keep your
    >> eyes open by checking message headers, specifically looking for
    >> "x-private.org" in the path statement. Better yet (if you can) set your
    >> news reader to flag everything sent through x-privat.org. Note though,
    >> x-privat.org isn't the only service being used to post forgeries to this
    >> group.
    >>

    > A forger is posting in this group using my email address in his headers.

    While there are times when there are obvious forgeries posted on the
    newsgroups, if you are using your name, sometimes it may not be a forgery.

    Several years ago I found I was posting messages that I did not send. It
    turns out that the poster was legitimate, and the grandson of my
    father's cousin. We have corresponded ever since. My brothers share
    the name of several of his cousins.

    Keith Nuttle, Jan 3, 2010
  14. Linda Galdieri

    Bear Bottoms Guest

    Re: FastStone Image Viewer (Forgery) Sometimes

    Keith Nuttle <> wrote in

    > On 1/3/2010 5:47 AM, Bear Bottoms wrote:
    >> John Corliss<> wrote in
    >> news:hhpbdj$552$- september.org:

    >>> The post to which I'm replying is a forgery which I did not send. It
    >>> was sent through x-privat.org, with whom I don't have an account. I
    >>> only post through Computer Country (an ISP in Oregon) or
    >>> occasionally, through my account with Eternal-September.org.
    >>>
    >>> The alt.comp.freeware group is being flooded with forgeries. Keep
    >>> your eyes open by checking message headers, specifically looking for
    >>> "x-private.org" in the path statement. Better yet (if you can) set
    >>> your news reader to flag everything sent through x-privat.org. Note
    >>> though, x-privat.org isn't the only service being used to post
    >>> forgeries to this group.
    >>>

    >> A forger is posting in this group using my email address in his
    >> headers.
    >>

    > While there are times when there are obvious forgeries posted on the
    > newsgroups, if you are using your name, sometimes it may not be a
    > forgery.
    >
    > Several years ago I found I was posting messages that I did not send.
    > It turns out that the poster was legitimate, and the grandson of my
    > father's cousin. We have corresponded ever since. My brothers share
    > the name of several of his cousins.

    Well, well. That happens with my family too.

    Bear Bottoms, Jan 3, 2010