Re: Farewell to an old friend

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Ruether, Sep 2, 2011.

  1. "Allen" <> wrote in message

    > My October copy of Shutterbug arrived yesterday. The cover photo and
    > story is about the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured. It was a good
    > friend, but how many will miss it? Except for many old, old slides, it's
    > been out of my life for years.
    >
    > Allen

    Yes, I began near the tail end of Kodachrome 10, beyond which
    my memory gets fuzzy (but I seem to remember a grainy, contrasty
    version of K64, followed by a very nice version which I used
    for years [long after others converted to what I considered at
    the time to be the "candy-color" of Fuji 50 film]). Eventually,
    I "saw the light", and for a short time converted to Fuji 50
    (and I also used K200 for certain things - but "natural-looking"
    it wasn't, but it could be nice for a very limited range of
    uses). Then Fuji Velvia appeared. YIKES! Forget "natural-
    rendition" - exaggerated COLOR was in!!! (And I fell for it,
    too.) Meanwhile, the Kodak and Fuji E6 100-speed films became
    very nice (and almost identical), and Fuji produced a very
    usable "400"-speed slide film (if one de-rated the speed a
    tad). For my later commercial work, though, the then-good
    color negative films were what I mostly used (but I still have
    some long-outdated K200 and Fuji 50 and 100 in the freezer plus
    a few mailers - maybe I will keep some for old time's sake...;-).
    --DR
    David Ruether, Sep 2, 2011

  2. David Ruether

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:31:08 +0000, "David Ruether" <>
    wrote:
    :
    :
    : "Allen" <> wrote in message
    : news::
    :
    : > My October copy of Shutterbug arrived yesterday. The cover photo and
    : > story is about the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured. It was a good
    : > friend, but how many will miss it? Except for many old, old slides, it's
    : > been out of my life for years.
    : >
    : > Allen
    :
    : Yes, I began near the tail end of Kodachrome 10, beyond which
    : my memory gets fuzzy (but I seem to remember a grainy, contrasty
    : version of K64, followed by a very nice version which I used
    : for years ...

    Actually, there was an excellent K25 between K10 and K64. Less contrasty and
    no grainer than K10. It may have been the best Kodachrome of all.

    How quaint those ISO (excuse me, ASA) numbers sound now!

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 8, 2011

  3. "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:31:08 +0000, "David Ruether" <>
    > wrote:
    > : "Allen" <> wrote in message
    > : news::

    > : > My October copy of Shutterbug arrived yesterday. The cover photo and
    > : > story is about the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured. It was a good
    > : > friend, but how many will miss it? Except for many old, old slides, it's
    > : > been out of my life for years.
    > : >
    > : > Allen

    > : Yes, I began near the tail end of Kodachrome 10, beyond which
    > : my memory gets fuzzy (but I seem to remember a grainy, contrasty
    > : version of K64, followed by a very nice version which I used
    > : for years ...

    > Actually, there was an excellent K25 between K10 and K64. Less contrasty and
    > no grainer than K10. It may have been the best Kodachrome of all.
    >
    > How quaint those ISO (excuse me, ASA) numbers sound now!
    >
    > Bob

    I guess you missed my post of 9/3, --
    "YIKES!!! How could I have forgotten THAT one?!?! You are right,
    K-II/25 was the best of all of them. (I may have forgotten about
    it since during that time my finances were too "pinched" to shoot
    much of it, and once past the original [poor] K64, I was into the
    better version, and then onto the E6 Ektachrome and Fuji films...)."
    But, yes, after good 100-speed films arrived, it was hard to look
    back, except for Velvia...8^)
    --DR
    David Ruether, Sep 8, 2011
  4. David Ruether

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:08:38 +0000, "David Ruether" <>
    wrote:
    :
    :
    : "Robert Coe" <> wrote in message
    : news::
    : > On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 15:31:08 +0000, "David Ruether" <>
    : > wrote:
    : > : "Allen" <> wrote in message
    : > : news::
    :
    : > : > My October copy of Shutterbug arrived yesterday. The cover photo and
    : > : > story is about the last roll of Kodachrome manufactured. It was a good
    : > : > friend, but how many will miss it? Except for many old, old slides, it's
    : > : > been out of my life for years.
    : > : >
    : > : > Allen
    :
[...]

    Yeah, I've got to break the habit of replying before I've read the whole
    thread. I'd been off in the boondocks (i.e., away from ny Usenet feed) for a
    week and hadn't gotten caught up.

    The trip was worth it though. In addition to seeing our daughter and her
    family, my wife and I got the pictures we needed to complete our Shoot-In
    submissions for this month. :^)

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Sep 10, 2011