    Thanks, Emg.
    I will try that... I think I failed because I don't have the experience
    as an architect !? I have been a developer...

    tommylee, Jul 18, 2003

  2. tommylee

    John S Guest

    > I think I failed because I don't have the experience
    > as an architect !? I have been a developer...

    Should be considered the same title.

    Software Engineer, Software Practitioner, Analyst Programmer, Software
    Developer, Software Architect are all the same.

    Software development is not just about slapping a few controls on vb form or
    writing a bit of C# code. So maybe you should just give up or become
    professionally competent in what you do for a living.

    John S, Jul 19, 2003

  3. tommylee

    John S Guest

    No I am correct. They are just titles which mean the same thing. What your
    company describes as a 'Software Architect' is what my company describes as
    a senior (or principle) software engineer, another company my title that
    role as senior analysis programmer or designer. Naturally there are
    different grades which reflect the individual's experience and
    responsibilities, i.e. principle, senior, junior or just plan grunt.

    BTW, I don't know of any company that employs people to 'just cut code' -
    case tools do that.

    John S, Jul 21, 2003
  4. tommylee

    Jamie Guest

    yup, fair enough, but in your original email, you didnt mention
    anything about grades or levels, you said all those titles were the
    same.

    With those grades comes levels of responsibility.

    I agree with what you say about "Software development is not just
    about slapping a few controls on vb form or writing a bit of C# code"
    but as the grades/levels indicate, certain people arent ever going to
    be asked to put together a UML diagram, to design a database schema,
    map out where components are going to live on the network, decide when
    a message queue should be used, decide whether we should use Biztalk
    and many other SENIOR level decisions.

    These are the people that wont climb the career ladder of titles which
    programmers like u me have (eg. grunt -> jnr -> snr -> architect).

    oh, and when i say "cut code" i mean typing in code into an editor,
    not letting a case tool generate it! There are plenty of companies
    out there who have people doing that, i'm sure you've seen plenty of
    projects go tits up because no-one bothered to spec it or design it
    properly just like i have.

    Jamie, Jul 25, 2003
  5. tommylee

    dave Guest

    That's a lot of chiefs and not too many injuns!

    dave, Jul 25, 2003
  6. tommylee

    John S Guest

    > I agree with what you say about "Software development is not just
    > about slapping a few controls on vb form or writing a bit of C# code"
    > but as the grades/levels indicate, certain people arent ever going to
    > be asked to put together a UML diagram, to design a database schema,
    > map out where components are going to live on the network, decide when
    > a message queue should be used, decide whether we should use Biztalk
    > and many other SENIOR level decisions.

    My company expects the grads they take on to be able to correctly model
    basic systems using UML taking use cases and producing the static and
    dynamic views of the system. Where I work it is vital that people are
    versatile and able adapt; as an example you will always be working on more
    than one project, oftn doing different roles. If not, it means the company
    is going down the drain becouse there is no work and no one wants our
    products. In other words, we simply could not afford to have people standing
    around waiting for 'someone to sign of the requirements specification'.

    As far as detemining the 'most appropriate' technologies and approaches to
    take, of couse only senior people make the top decisions. For us, this is
    always undertaken by the technical project lead and other experienced people
    (both from the technical and business area domains) in conjunction with the
    customer. The customer(s) would soon dump you if you sent a grunt to do
    this.

    > These are the people that wont climb the career ladder of titles which
    > programmers like u me have (eg. grunt -> jnr -> snr -> architect).

    They would never be employed here.

    > oh, and when i say "cut code" i mean typing in code into an editor,
    > not letting a case tool generate it!

    Working for a software house we tend to write code once and re-use it where
    appropriate, both at the binary level and at the source code level (i.e.
    templates and case tool generated skeleton code). We could not survive if we
    did not have a process model in place which implied rewriting cod to do the
    same thing over and over again. Less than ten percent of effort and
    resources go into 'coding'.

    > There are plenty of companies
    > out there who have people doing that, i'm sure you've seen plenty of
    > projects go tits up because no-one bothered to spec it or design it
    > properly just like i have.

    Fortunately not, we don't deal with cowboys [for long]. Although I know this
    to be true as well - just look at the posts to this group - ha, ha!

    John S, Jul 25, 2003