Re: Eye Test

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Hare-Scott, Jun 25, 2013.

  1. Dudley Hanks wrote:
    > Trying to get sparkly eyes from a dog like Mich is proving more
    > difficult than I'd thought it should be.
    >
    > If I use a fill flash, the eyes go demonish or blotchy. If I
    > just use natural light, they tend to appear rather
    > dull.
    >
    > Today, I tried using a reflector, but from what I've been told,
    > they still don't look that great.
    >
    > Any comments on how to get nice, flashy eyes in a canine
    > portrait?
    >
    > http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/EyeTest.jpg
    >
    > Take Care,
    > Dudley

    The way I have done this is to shoot indoors. Get the dog to settle (say on
    its mat) next to a bright but not sunny window,once it gets bored with
    wanting to talk to you it will tend to look out the window. Unless the dog
    is very jumpy or there is a stream of action outside the dog will be still
    for several minutes. Then shoot from somewhere around 30-80 degrees from
    the front, you are fairly certain to get the highlight of the window in the
    eyes. Shooting down will not work too well in most cases, in my view you
    want to be shooting level or even up a little. If you don't want to get
    down on the floor the dog can be up on some furniture (SWMBO permitting of
    course). With one of mine (the calm one) I was able to get close with the
    macro lens this way while he sat and watched the clouds go by.

    Now horses are more of a challenge.......

    David Hare-Scott, Jun 25, 2013

  2. David Hare-Scott, Jun 26, 2013

  3. George Kerby wrote:
    > On 6/25/13 7:42 PM, in article kqdddh$5bm$, "David
    > Hare-Scott" <> wrote:

    >>> Horses are where you use the umbrella. And NOT for reflective
    >>> purposes either...

    >> Is that what you mean?
    >>
    >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zr0lnag9np2prz/Aaah.JPG

    > ;-O
    >
    > No.
    >
    > To get the horse to look toward the camera with ears at attention,
    > you get an assistant to pop open the umbrella at the moment you
    > capture the image.
    >
    > Works pretty much all the time...

    Have you actually done this? How far away were you, how far was the
    umberella from the horses?

    If I am getting in close I would much prefer to NOT have sudden visual
    challenges confront the herd. If one of them decides your umberella is the
    one from hell that will steal his soul you had better not be between them
    and clear space as all of them will jump as soon as the first one moves.
    The only saving grace is that you are likely to be on the same side of the
    horse as the umberella and so will not get knocked flat if it shies. Even
    the rapid swing of a head on a 600kg horse will leave you with bruises and
    lucky to be standing.

    My main problem getting in close (softly, softly, catchee image, with little
    risk) is avoiding horse slobber on the lens.

    David
    David Hare-Scott, Jun 27, 2013