Re: External Sata hard drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ded, Apr 17, 2008.

  1. ded

    ded Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Someone asked me if they purchased an internal SATA hard drive and put it
    > in a SATA enclosure would they be able to use it as an external hard drive
    > on their PC that has an IDE internal drive? Any conflicts or problems?
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Phil B.
    > --
    > "

    I assume you mean an external sata enclosure that is connected to it's own
    dedicated PCI card , it is a common configuration with PC's with IDE drives
    there will be no conflicts and no problems.
    ded, Apr 17, 2008

  2. ded

    M.L. Guest

    >> Someone asked me if they purchased an internal SATA hard drive and
    >> put it in a SATA enclosure would they be able to use it as an
    >> external hard drive on their PC that has an IDE internal drive? Any
    >> conflicts or problems?

    > I assume you mean an external sata enclosure that is connected to
    > it's own dedicated PCI card , it is a common configuration with PC's
    > with IDE drives there will be no conflicts and no problems.

    There are external SATA drive enclosures that can also be connected via
    USB, but you'll lose the SATA speed advantage.
    M.L., Apr 18, 2008