Re: External drive - Fat32 or NTFS or '?'

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jameshanley39@yahoo.co.uk, Aug 2, 2008.

  1. Guest

    On Aug 1, 1:51 pm, "- Bobb -" <b...@noemail.123> wrote:
    > I know the answer is " it's up to you", but for folks that use a lot of
    > portable disk space ...
    >
    > I just bought a 500Gb USB 2.0 external drive (MyBook) and it came
    > preformatted as Fat32. The only purpose for this external drive is archiving
    > , portability (not day-to-day use) . I have a few internal 300gb SATA drives
    > that I'll migrate here ( to better organize), so thinking it over before I
    > start. I haven't used Fat32 in several years on my 'media pc' and
    > debating - is it worth it to reformat as NTFS to be able to have large file
    > sizes ? ( Fat32 limit = 4gb and if I record long video , or copy a DVD it
    > might exceed that). Also I have lots of pictures - many small file sizes, so
    > with Fat32 I'll use a min of 32k per picture. ( I just copied a 9k file - on
    > NTFS it uses 12k - on fat32 it uses 32k - a few thousand pictures and I'm
    > wasting a lot more space on Fat32) My current drives are mostly NTFS
    > partitions so I could "leave the really big files" there.
    >
    > I currently have only Windows boxes , but going to build a separate Ubuntu
    > box and MAY want something off a portable drive but I could work around
    > that. Experiences ? - better to leave as-is for OS portability ? Or will
    > Fat32 use too much overhead ? etc
    > Or another format that's compatible with multiple OS'es ?

    I don't have big files or big drives or use lots of space .. But just
    looking at this philosophically..

    FAT32 has the disadavantages you have mentioned..
    The large file issue is an immediate problem. So you may not want to
    wait before formating it or later converting it to another file
    system..

    Seems to me that windows or microsoft rather, has its fave file system
    for windows(or one favourite, NTFS), and linux has its.

    You have 2 routes. Getting linux to see the windows one, and
    getting linux to ee the windows one.

    Maybe linux is OK at seeing NTFS these days?

    This thing came up on a search.. file system windows linux
    http://www.fs-driver.org/
    It gets windows to see linux's Ext2 file system.

    From the description they give, it seems totally seamless and ideal.

    And although linux gurus may disagree, I think it's easier to get
    windows to do things (when something has been written for it), than it
    is to get linux to!
    linux is always more DIY to get something done. Windows often tends
    to have the one great program written specifically to easily do what
    you want and more!
    Linux can be more flexible but you have to string things together and
    know alot, and be able to fish through, lots of well known documented
    obscure details!..

    NOTE- on posting, I got ERROR
    Google Groups does not currently support posting to the following
    usenet groups: "microsoft.public.windowsxp" . I am of course posting
    with Google Groups.
    At times i've used microsoft.public.windowsxp.general but never the
    (immediate -or any) "parent".. (I mean parent in a similar sense to
    parent directory)

    , Aug 2, 2008

  2. gnu / linux Guest

    On Aug 2, 5:06 pm, ""
    <> wrote:
> [...]

    > And although linux gurus may disagree, I think it's easier to get
    > windows to do things (when something has been written for it), than it
    > is to get linux to!
    > linux is always more DIY to get something done.  Windows often tends
    > to have the one great program written specifically to easily do what
    > you want and more!
    > Linux can be more flexible but you have to string things together and
    > know alot, and be able to fish through, lots of well known documented
    > obscure details!..
    >
    > NOTE- on posting, I got ERROR
    > Google Groups does not currently support posting to the following
    > usenet groups: "microsoft.public.windowsxp" .  I am of course posting
    > with Google Groups.
    > At times i've used microsoft.public.windowsxp.general  but never the
    > (immediate -or any) "parent".. (I mean parent in a similar sense to

    NTFS if possible (most Linux distros will mount NTFS these days)

    gnu / linux, Aug 3, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Aug 3, 12:04 am, "gnu / linux" <> wrote:
    <snip>
    > > You have 2 routes.    Getting linux to see the windows one, and
    > > getting linux to ee the windows one.

    > > Maybe linux is OK at seeing NTFS these days?

    <snip>

    > NTFS if possible (most Linux distros will mount NTFS these days)- >
    > -

    I thought it could.. So he can go either way.

    Why do you say "NTFS if possible"?
    As if that is preferable to ext2

    Why not ext2 and let Windows see it? Maybe Windows can see ext2 fine
    no problems.

    I am guessing that with gnu/linux in your name you don't consider NTFS
    superior, do you?!

    note- i'm not a big linux user(Maybe one day. Stranger things have
    happened - to others)

    , Aug 3, 2008
  4. It depends on what you want.
    fat32 uses less space but there is a 4GB file limit on fat32.
    NTFS can save a file the size of the whole disk.
    But NTFS can only be used with windows xp/vista and NTFS needs more space
    for the file tables
    FAT32 can be used on any os.
    NTFS is also faster too.
    I reccomend if you are useing windows and you are useing a drive over 10gb
    use NTFS.
    if you are a MAC owner use HSF+ but that is mac only.
    if you want compatiblity with all os's go with FAT32 if you use windows only
    and some linux os's use NTFS.
    And you can convert FAT32 to ntfs useing windows but cannot be converted to
    NTFS to Fat32.

    computer geek, Sep 4, 2008