Re: Explain "windowboxing" please

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by PS1, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. PS1

    PS1 Guest

    Don't Tv stations do it sometimes to films to try and stop you recording
    them, don't they windowbox the films for the first few mintues

    "Del March" <> wrote in message
    > I believe "windowboxing" is the term used to describe putting a border on

    all
    > four sides of the screen. If it's called something else, enlighten me

    please.

    > In any event, why is this done? I see it mostly on the opening credits of
    > cartoons, although I believe one or more of my Marx Brothers videos has it
    > also. It doesn't seem to change the aspect ratio in any meaningful way.

    So

    PS1, Aug 12, 2003

  2. PS1

    Two Pi R Guest

    >Don't Tv stations do it sometimes to films to try and stop you recording
    >them, don't they windowbox the films for the first few mintues

    Huh? How does letterboxing prevent recording? They do it because the credits
    would be off the screen. The alternative is to compress the picture during the
    credits which makes everything look quite strange. They'll cut off people and
    scenes but not their names.

    Two Pi R, Aug 12, 2003

  3. PS1

    Richard C. Guest

    "PS1" <> wrote in message
    : Don't Tv stations do it sometimes to films to try and stop you recording
    : them, don't they windowbox the films for the first few mintues
    :
    :
    : "Del March" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > I believe "windowboxing" is the term used to describe putting a border on
    : all
    : > four sides of the screen. If it's called something else, enlighten me
    : please.
    : >
    : > In any event, why is this done? I see it mostly on the opening credits of
    : > cartoons, although I believe one or more of my Marx Brothers videos has it
    : > also. It doesn't seem to change the aspect ratio in any meaningful way.
    : So
    : > what is it for?
    :
    How would that stop recording?