Re: Experiment removing brown toilet bowl stains with various acids

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D., Apr 14, 2013.

  1. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:34:02 -0700 Oren wrote:
    > What software are you using to make these composite photos?
    > http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671632/img/12671632.png
    > http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671545/img/12671545.jpg

    Oren,

    I got carried away in the prior reply; so I'll directly answer.
    I used a combination of Imagemagick & Kolourpaint on Linux
    to create the DIY montages above.

    1. Imagemagick to resize the photos to similar sizes.
    2. Imagemagick to slap similar-sized photos together.
    3. Kolourpaint to hand craft the more complex arrangements.
    4. And, Kolorpaint to text, circle, & arrow the results.

    Had I been on Windows, I would have used:
    1. Irfanview to resize the photos to similar sizes.
    2. Irfanview to slap similar-sized photos together.
    3. Paint.NET to make the more complex arrangements.
    4. And, Paint.NET to text, circle, & arrow the results.

    IMHO, there is no single freeware program on either platform,
    which will perform all the tasks necessary to assemble and
    annotate a typical task-oriented photo scenario such as is
    shown in the better amateur do-it-yourself (DIY) project
    writeups.

    PS: I'm not sure what the difference is between a collage
    and a montage, so, I used the word "montage" to indicate
    an assemblage of photos & screenshots intended to help in
    explaining how to do something, in a single resulting image.
    Danny D., Apr 14, 2013

  2. Danny D.

    Guest

    On Apr 14, 9:11 am, "Danny D." <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 13 Apr 2013 17:34:02 -0700 Oren wrote:
    >
    > > What software are you using to make these composite photos?
    > >http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671632/img/12671632.png
    > >http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671545/img/12671545.jpg

    > Oren,
    >
    > I got carried away in the prior reply; so I'll directly answer.
    > I used a combination of Imagemagick & Kolourpaint on Linux
    > to create the DIY montages above.
    >
    > 1. Imagemagick to resize the photos to similar sizes.
    > 2. Imagemagick to slap similar-sized photos together.
    > 3. Kolourpaint to hand craft the more complex arrangements.
    > 4. And, Kolorpaint to text, circle, & arrow the results.
    >
    > Had I been on Windows, I would have used:
    > 1. Irfanview to resize the photos to similar sizes.
    > 2. Irfanview to slap similar-sized photos together.
    > 3. Paint.NET to make the more complex arrangements.
    > 4. And, Paint.NET to text, circle, & arrow the results.
    >
    > IMHO, there is no single freeware program on either platform,
    > which will perform all the tasks necessary to assemble and
    > annotate a typical task-oriented photo scenario such as is
    > shown in the better amateur do-it-yourself (DIY) project
    > writeups.
    >
    > PS: I'm not sure what the difference is between a collage
    > and a montage, so, I used the word "montage" to indicate
    > an assemblage of photos & screenshots intended to help in
    > explaining how to do something, in a single resulting image.

    I shoudl have said I'm a Paint.net fan.
    , Apr 14, 2013

  3. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 09:57:32 -0700 wrote:

    > I shoudl have said I'm a Paint.net fan.

    Personally, I'd use ANY freeware that easily annotates DIY-style
    photo assemblages.

    When I was on Windows, I first nearly died and went to heaven
    when I found out how FAST IrfanView was, and, how capable it
    was with batch renaming-by-exif and auto-rotation-by-exif.
    Nothing, even today, crops as easily as IrfanView.

    But, IrfanView stinks to high heaven when it comes to drawing
    curved solid or dashed arrows; and it's just OK for drawing
    circles and for texting (because you have to estimate text size
    before you've even composed your thoughts).

    Then, I found out about Paint.NET, and again, nearly died and
    went to heaven. The drawing of curved solid or dashed arrows is
    phenomenally easy in Paint.NET. Likewise, texting doesn't require
    a crystal ball, and drawing of circles and boxes around things is
    just ok.

    The worst thing I can say about Paint.NET is the slowness of
    starting the thing up (nothing compares to IrfanView for that!);
    and the PITA need for the NET Framework in the later versions.

    Even with those two drawbacks, to this day, I've never found anything
    better than Paint.NET for annotating standard DIY-style photos;
    however, I've long since moved on to Linux, so, I had to start
    all over again.

    Surveying all Linux programs, the ONLY freeware that easily texts,
    draws arrows, and draws boxes & circles on Linux is Kolourpaint.
    However, Kolourpaint drawing of curved arrows is purely a manual
    multi-part affair - so Kolourpaint has none of the ease-of-use
    of Paint.NET.

    And, Kolourpaint requires you to be omnipotent and know ahead of
    time the size and shape of your text. Of course, you can resize
    the text box both before and after the fact, but, there are very
    few programs that actually implement either texting, box drawing,
    or arrowing correctly.

    IMHO, the correct (easiest) way to add text:
    - You left click, and start typing (that's it!)
    - You should NOT need to draw or resize any stinkin' text boxes!
    - You can change the default fonts, colors, etc., separately.

    IMHO, the correct (easiest) way to add arrows:
    - You left click point1, and left click point 2, and that's it!
    - You can change the default direction, thickness, dashes, etc.

    IMHO, the correct (easiest) way to add boxes:
    - You left click point1 and left click point2, and that's it!
    - You can change the default filling, thickness, dashes, etc.
    Danny D., Apr 14, 2013
  4. Danny D.

    Oren Guest

    On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:11:30 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
    <> wrote:

    >Had I been on Windows, I would have used:
    >1. Irfanview to resize the photos to similar sizes.
    >2. Irfanview to slap similar-sized photos together.
    >3. Paint.NET to make the more complex arrangements.
    >4. And, Paint.NET to text, circle, & arrow the results.

    I run Winders fer Rednecks v.7.

    Thanks. I'll dig up these tools.

    (results from my first ever electrolysis tank for de-rusting tools and
    cast iron...)

    Nate made me do it...
    Oren, Apr 14, 2013
  5. Danny D.

    <> wrote:

    >Had I been on Windows, I would have used:
    >1. Irfanview to resize the photos to similar sizes.
    >2. Irfanview to slap similar-sized photos together.
    >3. Paint.NET to make the more complex arrangements.
    >4. And, Paint.NET to text, circle, & arrow the results.

    Put both on today and messed around. I'll figure out the text (where
    I want to place it).

    For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

    Thanks Danny. Nice App's...
    Oren, Apr 16, 2013
  6. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    Danny D., Apr 16, 2013
  7. Danny D.

    Oren Guest

    On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:50:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:01:13 -0700 Oren wrote:
    >
    >> For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

    >You might like the panorama command in Irfanview:
    > http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Panorama-Image-Using-IrfanView

    Thanks. I've been there already....an easy way to put 3-4 photos side
    by side - iirc.

    Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
    eventually get to it. I thought to just add a new layer with text
    only?
    Oren, Apr 16, 2013
  8. Danny D.

    dadiOH Guest

    Oren wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:50:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:01:13 -0700 Oren wrote:
    >>
    >>> For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

    >> You might like the panorama command in Irfanview:
    >> http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Panorama-Image-Using-IrfanView

    > Thanks. I've been there already....an easy way to put 3-4 photos side
    > by side - iirc.
    >
    > Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
    > eventually get to it. I thought to just add a new layer with text
    > only?

    In Irfanview? Draw a box then Ctrl + T

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH, Apr 17, 2013
  9. Danny D.

    Robert Macy Guest

    On Apr 16, 10:55 am, Oren <O...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 01:50:14 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >On Mon, 15 Apr 2013 16:01:13 -0700 Oren wrote:

    > >> For the most part I'm on the trail for composites for DIY.

    > >You might like the panorama command in Irfanview:
    > >http://www.wikihow.com/Create-a-Panorama-Image-Using-IrfanView

    > Thanks. I've been there already....an easy way to put 3-4 photos side
    > by side - iirc.
    >
    > Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
    > eventually get to it.  I thought to just add a new layer with text
    > only?

    my workaround for text is to open with irfanview and save as .bmp
    open in PAINT and add text, marks, etc save.
    open again in Irfanview and save as .jpg

    It's a workaround.
    Robert Macy, Apr 17, 2013
  10. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:55:04 -0700 Oren wrote:

    > Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
    > eventually get to it. I thought to just add a new layer with text
    > only?

    I would NOT add text with Irfanview. Use Paint.NET.
    Muuuuuch easier & more intuitive.
    Danny D., Apr 20, 2013
  11. Danny D.

    Poutnik Guest

    Danny D. posted Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:58:17 +0000 (UTC)

    > On Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:55:04 -0700 Oren wrote:
    >
    > > Adding text is what I need to figure out. I played with it so I will
    > > eventually get to it. I thought to just add a new layer with text
    > > only?

    > I would NOT add text with Irfanview. Use Paint.NET.
    > Muuuuuch easier & more intuitive.

    To defend IV,
    it is rather viewer with added simple editing capabilities.

    --
    Poutnik
    Poutnik, Apr 20, 2013
  12. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:08:39 +0200 Poutnik wrote:

    >> I would NOT add text with Irfanview. Use Paint.NET.
    >> Muuuuuch easier & more intuitive.

    > To defend IV,
    > it is rather viewer with added simple editing capabilities.

    I do agree that IrfanView is absolutely fantastic as the best
    picture "viewer" on the PC, bar none. Mainly it's fast. Really
    really really fast. Twice as fast as most programs, and ten
    times faster than a lot of them.

    Even though IrfanView is only a "viewer", we all know IV also
    does CROPPING wonderfully (click, click, crop). It converts
    to various formats nicely (e.g., JPEG -> GIF); and IrfanView
    is great with batch renamin and resizing operations (which
    aren't so easy on the Windows operating system elsewise).

    However, when it comes to TEXTING, drawing CIRCLES, and
    especially curved ARROWs, IrfanView stinks. For that,
    I'd suggest Paint.NET ...

    The funny thing is that TEXTING is done wrong on almost
    all picture editing programs in that they force you to
    choose the area BEFORE you type a single character!

    What's inexplicable about that is there is no need for
    that. With Paint.NET, you simply type. No need to choose
    any area whatsoever.

    Likewise, arrows are almost atrocious how they're handled
    on most picture-editing programs. With most, all you can do
    is manually draw a curve and then manually draw an arrowhead
    and you can just about forget doing dashed lines.

    With Paint.NET, it's all done for you. You just draw the
    arrow point 1, and then point 2, and it's done for you.
    (You've pre-selected the type of arrow, direction,
    arrowhead, dashes, color, etc., as the default.)

    On the other hand, drawing circles and boxes around things
    is relatively easy in most programs, but heaven forbid
    trying to do it in something powerful like The Gimp. You'll
    go crazy. Sure, it 'can' be done; but you'd die trying.

    Irfanview isn't too bad with drawing circles, but, since
    you NEED paint.net for the arrows and text, you may as
    well draw the circles there.

    In summary, IrfanView is a fantastic picture-viewing program,
    which is fast and simple and powerful ... but it stinks for
    the basic annotation of DIY-style photos. For for that,
    Paint.NET is the best (although others will work too).

    Note: This is all on Windows. For Linux, the corresponding
    best DIY-photo editing program is the combination of
    ImageMagick for batch operations, and Kolourpaint for the
    manual texting, arrowing, and circling of objects.
    Danny D., Apr 20, 2013
  13. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 22:12:17 +0000 Danny D. wrote:

    > However, when it comes to TEXTING, drawing CIRCLES, and
    > especially curved ARROWs, IrfanView stinks.

    For the record, today I needed to reproduce a firefox bug
    on both WinXP and on Linux, so, I created essentially the
    same screenshot on each platform:

    Windows:
    http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12745022/img/12745022.gif
    Linux:
    http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/12745771/img/12745771.png

    OBSERVATION:
    I haven't been on Windows for a while, so, I had forgotten what
    a fantastic dream Paint.net was in terms of usability (as compared
    to what exists on Linux) in performing the three basic screenshot
    annotation tasks of:
    (a) texting (you just click & type ... that's it!)
    (b) circling (you just click & sweep ... that's it!)
    (c) arrowing (you just click & click ... that's it!)

    In comparison the critical annotation triad on Linux was kludgey
    at best.
    (a) texting (you have to pre-select the text area ... yuck)
    (b) circling (you just click and sweep ... so this is good)
    (c) arrowing (all manual ... especially dashes, curves & heads)

    Note: It's amazing that, on Linux, there isn't a single decent
    freeware program for these three simple tasks that even comes
    close to comparing to what exists on Windows - and - on Windows,
    it's amazing that only one program does all three tasks correctly
    (i.e., efficiently).
    Danny D., Apr 21, 2013