Re: Exchange problem (WEIRD)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jimchip, Jul 12, 2003.

  1. Jimchip

    Jimchip Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 00:18:03 -0500, -=Chris=- wrote:
    [snip]
    > System:
    > Dual PII 700Mhz, 1GB ram
    > Windows 2000 Server SP3
    > Exchange 2000 Standard SP3
    > Active directory domain controller
    >
    > Problem: Emails delivered to a MS Exchange 2000 mailbox are deleted within
    > 1 minute of receipt, apparently by a background process that seems to cyle
    > every 60 seconds or so. Only mail in the inbox is deleted, but every email
    > is deleted within the inbox, including read and unread messages.
    > Apparently, at this point in time, it is only happening with one particular
    > mailbox(mine, thankfully). As a temporary fix, I've created a rule to move a
    > copy of all inbound messages to another folder, since the problem affects
    > only the inbox. This of course, is unacceptable as a permanent solution.

    By any chance do you have the auto-archive feature enabled?
    Tools|Options|Other

    If it were set then you could see that behavior with the messages being
    sent to an archive file (archive.pst)

    [snip]
    > 11. Turned off Auto-Protect on Norton Antivirus for Exchange 7.5 Corporate
    > Edition.

    Oh, Norton...

    > With auto-protect disabled, the problem seemed to go away. I then
    > re-enabled auto-protect, with no further problems. At first glance, it
    > would seem that somehow, auto-protect was interfering and deleting messages.
    > However, in step 10, I rebooted the entire server, and the problem
    > persisted. The only link between NAV for exchange, and the problematic
    > mailbox, is that the problematic mailbox is the only email address set to
    > receive administrative(virus) alerts from the Exchange anti-virus service.
    > However, NAV hasn't reported a virus in forever, and nothing erroneous
    > appears in the NAV, or Win 2K event logs.

    Try manually setting the alert mailbox to something other than the
    'problematic mailbox'- Give NAV it's own mailbox

    --
    We will have solar energy as soon as the utility companies solve
    one technical problem -- how to run sunlight through a meter.

    Jimchip, Jul 12, 2003