Re: Evidence Eliminator... NOT AN AD, I promise

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Bill Crocker, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker Guest

    I've always been Leary of Evidence Eliminator. As hard as that one has been
    pushed, in the newsgroups, and by e-mail spammers, I've always been a little
    suspicious of a possible sting operation. By this I mean, "what if" it
    gathered all the info you wanted to wipe out, and sent it to some agency,
    for analysis? Scary thought!

    Bill Crocker

    "Charles Summers" <> wrote in message
    > I see they are spamming the newsgroups AGAIN!, but I do have a serious
    > question about EE.
    >
    > I have a laptop that I use for my business that has alot of business

    account
    > numbers etc. I'll probably be upgrading it, and will probably sell the old
    > one or use it as a trade in. I was thinking that after shredding the
    > documents that I don't want to fall into the wrong hands, I was going to

    try
    > this EE as a follow-up.
    >
    > Is EE all they say it is, or would there be a better way, short of

    removing

    Bill Crocker, Jun 22, 2003

  2. Bill Crocker

    18436572 Guest

    I'm not that paranoid... but after reading the info about the company that
    make EE, I highly doubt that would be the case. Sounds like just another
    couple of guys wanting to get rich to me, and doing whatever they can to get
    their product known. Glad that Secret Weapon Lures doesn't need to spam like
    that. (Shameless plug, not intended. LOL)

    I did load it on my laptop, with Zone Alarm Pro running, and it didn't try
    to make any outbound connections.

    18436572, Jun 23, 2003

  3. Bill Crocker

    Richard Guest

    I doubt that EE stores and sends the info wiped off to FBI, MI5 etc.
    If EE was used for a 'sting operation', it would surely be free, or
    much cheaper so it is accessible to all.
    EE does not attempt to connect to the internet (apart from during
    updates) so it can't be sending anything via the internet.
    I have never been able to recover any file deleted by EE with a number
    of data recovery tools, so EE wipes the files very securely.

    Richard, Jun 30, 2003