Re: Even Lunix will not save you from this..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Jun 16, 2010.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 16, 1:46 pm, Suzie Wong <> wrote:
    > Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation
    >
    > http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7819201/Nasa-warns-solar-fla...

    This reminds me of a 'Giles' cartoon from the 1950's. A teacher asked
    a class what was the last thing they would do before the world ended.
    Kid said "go and see 'Suzie Wong' ".

    I think you were wrong. Computers running Linux will play a big part
    in prediction and the aftermath. The alternative toy operating system
    is not suited to such heavy duty work.
    peterwn, Jun 16, 2010

  2. peterwn

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-06-16, peterwn <> wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 1:46 pm, Suzie Wong <> wrote:
    >> Nasa warns solar flares from 'huge space storm' will cause devastation
    >>
    >> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/7819201/Nasa-warns-solar-fla...

    > This reminds me of a 'Giles' cartoon from the 1950's. A teacher asked
    > a class what was the last thing they would do before the world ended.
    > Kid said "go and see 'Suzie Wong' ".
    >
    > I think you were wrong. Computers running Linux will play a big part
    > in prediction and the aftermath. The alternative toy operating system
    > is not suited to such heavy duty work.

    The irony is that Ms Penguin's far off distant relative Unix was delivering
    the goods. Probably still is. So is Linux, in all of its re-incarnations.
    Gordon, Jun 17, 2010

  3. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    On Jun 17, 6:30 pm, Gordon <> wrote:

    > The irony is that Ms Penguin's far off distant relative Unix was delivering
    > the goods. Probably still is. So is Linux, in all of its re-incarnations.

    ????? Developers whose job it was to develop apps for UNIX big iron
    computers would take their work home and use their Linux home
    computers to do their development homework. So it is a bit closer than
    a 'far off distant relative'.
    peterwn, Jun 17, 2010