Re: EULA how enforcible in NZ OT?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Richard, Oct 4, 2011.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    On 10/4/2011 3:49 PM, Robert Cooze wrote:
    > Kind of off topic and kind of on topic
    >
    > The EULA from sony on there playstation 3 and BlueRay players. In the
    > later case of the player, It had a EULA with a agree decline button. but
    > trying to read the EULA written in total legalease it is very hard to
    > work out if I want to decline or accept and what my actual risks are.
    >
    > There where some funny bits about not suitable for fail-safe uses as in
    > weapons control and life support and saying death may result.
    >
    > Any way have written to sony and there has been no response, I might
    > talk to the retailer about my problem.
    >
    > It would not have been to bad If I could get a copy of the net or print
    > a hard copy. but thems the breaks. there was a total refund clause if I
    > rejected the EULA if I red it right but cant find it now....

    Wait? A blu-ray player has a EULA on it? WTF?!
    Richard, Oct 4, 2011

  2. On Tue, 04 Oct 2011 21:15:00 +1300, Robert Cooze
    <c_o-o_z-e_r-b_@-c-o-o-z-eD_O_Tc_oD_O_Tnz> wrote:

    >On 04/10/11 20:56, Richard wrote:
    >> On 10/4/2011 3:49 PM, Robert Cooze wrote:
    >>> Kind of off topic and kind of on topic
    >>>
    >>> The EULA from sony on there playstation 3 and BlueRay players. In the
    >>> later case of the player, It had a EULA with a agree decline button. but
    >>> trying to read the EULA written in total legalease it is very hard to
    >>> work out if I want to decline or accept and what my actual risks are.
    >>>
    >>> There where some funny bits about not suitable for fail-safe uses as in
    >>> weapons control and life support and saying death may result.
    >>>
    >>> Any way have written to sony and there has been no response, I might
    >>> talk to the retailer about my problem.
    >>>
    >>> It would not have been to bad If I could get a copy of the net or print
    >>> a hard copy. but thems the breaks. there was a total refund clause if I
    >>> rejected the EULA if I red it right but cant find it now....

    >> Wait? A blu-ray player has a EULA on it? WTF?!
    >>

    >Yep it does and after 4 hours of trying to make sense of it. The feel
    >good purchase has become a big load of heart ache. It is so complex and
    >you need to think like a lawyer to understand it.

    From what I have Read they are putting out new EULA's so you cant take
    a class action suit against them..
    Frank Williams, Oct 4, 2011

  3. In article <4e8ac0b6$>, Robert Cooze <c_o-o_z-e_r-b_@-c-o-o-z-eD_O_Tc_oD_O_Tnz> wrote:
    >On 04/10/11 20:56, Richard wrote:

    (snip)

    >> Wait? A blu-ray player has a EULA on it? WTF?!
    >>

    >Yep it does and after 4 hours of trying to make sense of it. The feel
    >good purchase has become a big load of heart ache. It is so complex and
    >you need to think like a lawyer to understand it.

    Taking it back and getting one without a licence agreement sounds like the
    thing to do here. Otherwise we'll just be encouraging them. :) :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 5, 2011