Re: Etymology of "Sinister

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ray Fischer, Jan 24, 2009.

  1. Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer Guest

    HEMI - Powered <> wrote:
    >Take a gander at these for the root of the word "sinister".
    >
    >http://www.dpjs.co.uk/moon.html
    >http://www.yourdictionary.com/sinister
    >
    >Quite a number of countries, regions, religions, races, and ethnic
    >groups have some varient of "sinister" from it's probably Latin
    >origins. These groups/countries view being left handed as somehow
    >evil, which goes right along with similar views by the same
    >groups/countries that one should never eat with the left hand, as
    >it is "unclean". This latter particularly goes back to Biblical
    >Times in what is now the Middle East and Palestine because of the
    >fundamental problem that there was no toilet paper nor any eating
    >utensils.

    [...]
    >So, you can imagine my surprise when I saw that President Obama not
    >only signs things like Executive Orders with his left hand, but
    >even uses the over-the-top writing style that traces it's origins
    >to the pen-and-ink days where penmanship students needed to keep
    >their hand from smearing the ink as then moved across the paper.
    >
    >Draw your own conclusions from this, of course. And, Happy TGIF!

    My conclusion is that you're an insane bigot looking for any
    justification to hate.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Jan 24, 2009

  2. On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 03:10:37 +0000, Ray Fischer wrote:

    > HEMI - Powered <> wrote:
    >>Take a gander at these for the root of the word "sinister".
    >>
    >>http://www.dpjs.co.uk/moon.html
    >>http://www.yourdictionary.com/sinister
    >>
    >>Quite a number of countries, regions, religions, races, and ethnic
    >>groups have some varient of "sinister" from it's probably Latin origins.
    >>These groups/countries view being left handed as somehow evil, which
    >>goes right along with similar views by the same groups/countries that
    >>one should never eat with the left hand, as it is "unclean". This latter
    >>particularly goes back to Biblical Times in what is now the Middle East
    >>and Palestine because of the fundamental problem that there was no
    >>toilet paper nor any eating utensils.

    > [...]
    >>So, you can imagine my surprise when I saw that President Obama not only
    >>signs things like Executive Orders with his left hand, but even uses the
    >>over-the-top writing style that traces it's origins to the pen-and-ink
    >>days where penmanship students needed to keep their hand from smearing
    >>the ink as then moved across the paper.
    >>
    >>Draw your own conclusions from this, of course. And, Happy TGIF!

    > My conclusion is that you're an insane bigot looking for any
    > justification to hate.

    Hemiroid has never really needed any justification at all, for anything he
    does. But if necessary, he will create some on the fly.

    But yes, he is indeed an insane bigot and more; he also thrives on being
    disliked, or better still, hated.

    Even with professional training, attempting to understand the very
    malleable and changeable rationales of the psychotic mind is a very
    difficult task.

    Truly, he's not worth the effort.

    --
    "I have heard that "Commentary" and "Dissent" had merged and formed "Dysentery."

    -- A.R. duChat

    Gaston Ryan Coake, Jan 24, 2009