Re: Esata card?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Meat Plow, Apr 29, 2010.

  1. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:41:19 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > Who makes a good but low cost Esata controller card?
    >
    > Should I get one for the PCI-express, 16 bit slot or what?
    >
    > Asus tells me that I have 3 expansion slots in this thing, if I recall,
    > a PCI Express, a 16 bit or something, dont recall now.
    >
    > He said tehy didn't have a diagram of the mainboard, I just gotta pop
    > the case and look.

    Check to see if you have any unused SATA connectors on the motherboard.
    If you do, buy an extender that brings that port to the back of the PC.
    If not, any SATA card supported by your OS will be fine. Most of the OEM
    cards use the same "guts" from Silicone Image, Promise, Highpoint, Marvel
    etc...Also check that if you are looking at a PCIe SATA controller
    you have a PCIe slot other than for your video adapter.

    Meat Plow, Apr 29, 2010

  2. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:33:13 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >
    >> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 00:41:19 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:
    >>
    >>> Who makes a good but low cost Esata controller card?
    >>>
    >>> Should I get one for the PCI-express, 16 bit slot or what?
    >>>
    >>> Asus tells me that I have 3 expansion slots in this thing, if I
    >>> recall, a PCI Express, a 16 bit or something, dont recall now.
    >>>
    >>> He said tehy didn't have a diagram of the mainboard, I just gotta pop
    >>> the case and look.

    >> Check to see if you have any unused SATA connectors on the motherboard.
    >> If you do, buy an extender that brings that port to the back of the PC.

    > I never thought of that, thank you. :)
    >
    > That will be as fast as the bus then, right? Same 3gb transfer speed?

    It will be as fast as its rated speed. Check the motherboard manufacturer
    for that spec.

    >> If not, any SATA card supported by your OS will be fine. Most of the
    >> OEM cards use the same "guts" from Silicone Image, Promise, Highpoint,
    >> Marvel etc...Also check that if you are looking at a PCIe SATA
    >> controller you have a PCIe slot other than for your video adapter.

    > That's the prob. Only one PCI-E slot. I havent upgraded video ( yet )
    > and it's the slowest thing in this machine, BUT I dont do games either.

    If the PCIe slot is for video I'm not certain that you can stick any
    old PCIe card in it not personally having experimented with it.

    Is there a reason for an external SATA drive? If so I didn't happen
    to catch it the first time around.

    Meat Plow, Apr 29, 2010

  3. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 12:39:42 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > Jane Galt <> wrote :
    >
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote :

    >>> Check to see if you have any unused SATA connectors on the
    >>> motherboard. If you do, buy an extender that brings that port to the
    >>> back of the PC.

    >> I never thought of that, thank you. :)

    > This huh?

    Cant parse that URL, try snipurl.com next time. If it's a picture of a
    bracket that bolts in a card opening in the back and a cable to connect to
    the motherboard SATA port that's what I was talking about. I have one
    myself but opted to move the drive inside after using it externally for
    a year. I then bought a new drive and hooked the external SATA to my
    cable tv DVR. Those hi-definition movies eat up a lot of space and the
    DVR only could record about 20 hours in hi-def on its internal drive. I
    now have 60 hours of hi-def capability.

    Meat Plow, Apr 29, 2010
  4. Meat Plow

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jane Galt wrote:

    > Backup. We were talking about USB 2 and someone asked why I didn't just use
    > an Esata for better speed. Indeed, why not.

    Actual transfer speeds in MB/s
    eSATA/SATA300 = 300
    USB 2 = 60

    Even SATA I is 2.5x as fast as usb2 (at 150)

    futuristic
    eSATA/SATA600 = 600
    USB 3 = 400

    Just so firewire IEEE 1394 fans won't feel left out:
    400/800/3200 = 49/98/393

    However, most of the people using external hdd/s for backup don't just
    sit there and watch the bits/bytes go by - they set it up and do
    something else.

    I'm surprised at how many people buy usb externals because they are
    running out of space on their 'old' desktop hdd. Many times such an
    external buyer would have been better off - cheaper and faster - with
    another internal, but they aren't up for opening the case and installing
    the hdd.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 29, 2010
  5. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 16:28:52 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >
    >>> That will be as fast as the bus then, right? Same 3gb transfer speed?

    >> It will be as fast as its rated speed. Check the motherboard
    >> manufacturer for that spec.

    > Wow, if I do indeed have the Asus E4576_P5QL-VM EPU it has 6 onboard 3gb
    > SATA connectors.

    >>> That's the prob. Only one PCI-E slot. I havent upgraded video ( yet )
    >>> and it's the slowest thing in this machine, BUT I dont do games
    >>> either.

    >> If the PCIe slot is for video I'm not certain that you can stick any
    >> old PCIe card in it not personally having experimented with it.
    >>
    >> Is there a reason for an external SATA drive? If so I didn't happen to
    >> catch it the first time around.

    > Backup. We were talking about USB 2 and someone asked why I didn't just
    > use an Esata for better speed. Indeed, why not.

    I meant a need for an 'external' backup drive. If you have room inside
    just mount it inside.Most new drives will spin down when inactive and Win
    7 might be able to do it through power management.

    Meat Plow, Apr 29, 2010
  6. Meat Plow

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 19:57:29 -0500, Jane Galt wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote :
    >

    >>> Backup. We were talking about USB 2 and someone asked why I didn't
    >>> just use an Esata for better speed. Indeed, why not.

    >> I meant a need for an 'external' backup drive. If you have room inside
    >> just mount it inside.Most new drives will spin down when inactive and
    >> Win 7 might be able to do it through power management.
    >>

    > I know what you meant. This is for doing a complete image with Acronis
    > and putting it in the safe. If the house is robbed or burns down, we
    > still have a complete drive ready to boot.

    Better get a lockbox at a bank. If your place burns down you'll need a
    hell of a good safe to keep the drive from roasting like Sunday's baked
    ham.

    Meat Plow, Apr 30, 2010