Re: Esata card?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Apr 29, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jane Galt wrote:
    > Who makes a good but low cost Esata controller card?

    I don't know how good, but there are some $20 cards. I'm assuming you
    are just trying to enable one of your IDE boxes to be able to use an
    eSATA external hdd. For the cheap cards, you generally get 1 eSATA and
    1 internal.

    > Should I get one for the PCI-express, 16 bit slot or what?

    Yes. Shop PCIe eSATA.

    > Asus tells me that I have 3 expansion slots in this thing, if I recall, a PCI
    > Express, a 16 bit or something, dont recall now.

    The general situation is that you have 1 PCIe and some PCIs. The
    problem is if you have populated your pci-e PCI Express with a vid card.

    > He said tehy didn't have a diagram of the mainboard, I just gotta pop the
    > case and look.

    I think it is a good idea to have/make a little list of all of your
    hardware's features, name/modelno of mobo, cpu, ramsticks, cards -- and
    also know the support chipsets on the mobo to help with configuring the
    onboard LAN, audio, video, modem. And the bios and version. All of
    that stuff/info comes with the parts when you buy them or the machine if
    you buy it preassembled.

    Some preassembled OEMs you have to do a little research to find out what
    kind of mobo they put in there. Or mobo derivative.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 29, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jane Galt wrote:
    > Mike Easter

    > E4576_P5QL-VM EPU . That would give me two PCI slots and one PCI-Express.
    >
    > If I use the PCI-Express, that would prevent ever upgrading the video in
    > this, but can I get the 3gb speed without using it?

    Yes. You can get 3G in a PCI card and preserve your PCIe for video.

    Realize that this 'business' (of external hdd/s) is an evolving
    technology and your shopping should be very careful about the specs.

    There are (plenty of) cards that don't do 3G.

    Also, the SATA specs are evolving, as are the USB and firewire. USB 3
    is almost here. SATA 6G is not far away.

    While the specs are evolving there will be 'pre-standard'
    implementations of upcoming tech, like there were with wireless N in the
    years before N became properly standard.

    And that affects cost. If you buy an 'over-the-hill' product, prices
    are typically cheaper because they are clearing them out. And, for your
    backup, you might want to be faster than plain old USB 2, but you might
    be able to live with SATA I speed (1.5G) instead of 3G.

    There are also some nomenclature confusions about the SATA names or
    revisions.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 29, 2010