Re: Eric Stevens' comments On the Road

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Aug 28, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Aug 27, 10:26 pm, Eric Stevens <> wrote:

    > Otter:
    > On-Road-01:    http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485069
    > Presumably this is a stop on the road.

    The road is on the left. The truck is parked in the middle of it,
    while the guy is buying beer.

    > I like this photograph. It
    > captures the feel of emerging from the dark into the light very
    > nicely. There is very little camera shake for 1/6 second on 70mm. Did
    > you steady the camera in some way?

    I can't remember if I did or not for this particular shot. IS was
    turned on, though. I wasn't using a tripod.

    > On-Road-02:    http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485070
    > Another stop? ... or merely by the road? It's a nice sharp
    > well-composed photograph but I can't help feeling it's got more to
    > give. I would be tempted to play around with the tint of the image. I
    > don't know whether or not that is the right way to go.

    I may play with it some more later, don't know. I thought about
    adding selective color, maybe to the sign or the little girl. Need to
    let it simmer for awhile, though.

    > On-Road-03:    http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485071
    > Were you drunk?    :)

    That was the idea. :)
    otter, Aug 28, 2012

  2. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:41:30 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485070
    >> Another stop? ... or merely by the road? It's a nice sharp
    >> well-composed photograph but I can't help feeling it's got more to
    >> give. I would be tempted to play around with the tint of the image. I
    >> don't know whether or not that is the right way to go.

    >I may play with it some more later, don't know. I thought about
    >adding selective color, maybe to the sign or the little girl. Need to
    >let it simmer for awhile, though.

    If there's to be an intervention, let me know. I'll sit in.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 28, 2012

  3. otter

    otter Guest

    On Aug 28, 12:07 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:41:30 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485070
    >
    > >> Another stop? ... or merely by the road? It's a nice sharp
    > >> well-composed photograph but I can't help feeling it's got more to
    > >> give. I would be tempted to play around with the tint of the image. I
    > >> don't know whether or not that is the right way to go.

    > >I may play with it some more later, don't know.  I thought about
    > >adding selective color, maybe to the sign or the little girl.  Need to
    > >let it simmer for awhile, though.

    > If there's to be an intervention, let me know.  I'll sit in.

    Sure, if I come up with something I like I'll post it here. Don't
    want to work on it right now, though. Maybe in a few months or years.
    otter, Aug 28, 2012
  4. otter

    tony cooper Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 23:23:24 -0700 (PDT), otter
    <> wrote:

    >On Aug 28, 12:07 am, tony cooper <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:41:30 -0700 (PDT), otter
    >>
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/shootin/image/145485070

    >> >I may play with it some more later, don't know.  I thought about
    >> >adding selective color, maybe to the sign or the little girl.  Need to
    >> >let it simmer for awhile, though.

    >> If there's to be an intervention, let me know.  I'll sit in.

    >Sure, if I come up with something I like I'll post it here. Don't
    >want to work on it right now, though. Maybe in a few months or years.

    C'mon, Eric. An intervention is something to *stop* someone from doing
    something. The photo's fine the way it is. Selective color is evil.

    I did a selective color image back in 2009 and I'm still ashamed of
    myself:

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vnlvyv64rms3xy/2009-12-31-004.jpg

    Selective color is neither fish nor flesh nor good red herring.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Aug 28, 2012