Re: Epson Stylus 820 breeds abject hatred

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joseph Meehan, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. I also have one and experienced much the same as you did. However
    someone here suggested leaving it turned on all the time. I don't see what
    this does, but I have not had a problem since. I also print a simple multi
    color strip (small short lines of the basic colors) once a week. I don't
    know if that is really helping as leaving it on seemed to take care of it,
    but that trick has worked for my Canon at work.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "BG250" <> wrote in message
    > I have the 820 photo. With its six ink and resolution, the prints are
    > gorgeous, but if you don't use it for over a week, it is clog city.

    Perhaps
    > making an image file with solid color strips and printing it one per week
    > would help. I tend to print photo quality prints, several at a time, but

    at

    Joseph Meehan, Jul 24, 2003

  2. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 19:08:27 GMT, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    > I also have one and experienced much the same as you did. However
    >someone here suggested leaving it turned on all the time. I don't see what
    >this does, but I have not had a problem since. I also print a simple multi
    >color strip (small short lines of the basic colors) once a week. I don't
    >know if that is really helping as leaving it on seemed to take care of it,
    >but that trick has worked for my Canon at work.

    Mine stays on all the time and it is still finicky. I had a pair of
    800s before they wore out. They were reliable, accurate, and,
    relative to the 820, quiet. The 820 is a definite step backward and,
    I concur with the original posting and followups, will send me to a
    different printer maker.

    A pity, I have been using Epsons since the early FX and RX tractor
    feed dot matrix printers (not that anyone would remember what those
    are), and it seems that market dominance has, as with Nikon, caused
    them to lose their edge.

    Cheers,

    S.

    -------------------
    '01 XL1200S - Satan
    '03 FLSTSI - God
    Sandy Sanders, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Joseph Meehan

    Peter Guest

    Thu, 24 Jul 2003 at 21:04 GMT, Sandy Sanders wrote:
    > [...]
    > A pity, I have been using Epsons since the early FX and RX tractor
    > feed dot matrix printers (not that anyone would remember what those
    > are), and it seems that market dominance has, as with Nikon, caused

    I still have a FX-80, which I actually connected to a linux system a
    couple of years ago. :)

    -peter
    Peter, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Joseph Meehan

    Bob O`Bob Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > Thu, 24 Jul 2003 at 21:04 GMT, Sandy Sanders wrote:
    > > [...]
    > > A pity, I have been using Epsons since the early FX and RX tractor
    > > feed dot matrix printers (not that anyone would remember what those
    > > are), and it seems that market dominance has, as with Nikon, caused

    > I still have a FX-80, which I actually connected to a linux system a
    > couple of years ago. :)

    My brother still *uses* an Epson dot-matrix, I think it's an LQ-810.
    Noisy bugger, slow but quite effective.

    I expect he'll keep using it as long as ribbons are available
    or he can re-ink the ones he's got.

    Bob
    Bob O`Bob, Jul 25, 2003