Re: Epson Stylus 820 breeds abject hatred

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Todd Walker, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I didnt think it was possible to actually experience
    > abject hatred for an inanimate thing like the
    > Epson Stylus Photo 820, but I truly do hate this
    > printer with every fiber of my being.
    >
    > I would like to sue Epson for pain and suffering for ever making
    > this POS.
    >
    > the next time it refuses to load the paper or takes 10 cleanings
    > to make a decent print will be the last, which is to say the next time
    > I ever use it, which will be a cold day in Redmond

    I got to that point about a year ago with my Epson 780. I got fed up and
    bought a Canon S820. I have been in photo printer nirvana since then.
    The Canon has never clogged ONCE and I don't use it that often -- maybe
    once every 2-3 weeks. It just WORKS. Unlike the Epson...

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Todd Walker

    Simon Guest

    Canon abject hatred

    Todd,

    Funny you say this - I had a "lemon" Canon printer (if you could even call
    it a printer) once that I wasted so many good hours on trying to make it
    print basic things let alone photos.

    I replaced cartridges, took it to the repair shop regularly - finally, I
    reached a point that it was cheaper to toss the lot and cut my losses. I
    did just that and I'll never buy another junk Canon product again.

    I brought an Epson 890 printer quite a while ago and it works faultlessly -
    I'd swear by the Epson name - it works great.

    We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a theory that
    some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.

    - Simon, Sydney

    Simon, Jul 24, 2003

  3. Re: Canon abject hatred

    Buy enough stuff and you"ll eventually get some junk,
    then judge the company by whether they make good on it or not.

    --
    Check out my website @
    http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank

    Considering eating out?; You may end up spending a fortune in cookies.
    Gregory W. Blank, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Todd Walker

    Todd Walker Guest

    Re: Canon abject hatred

    In article <KYKTa.11624$>,
    says...
    > Todd,
    >
    > Funny you say this - I had a "lemon" Canon printer (if you could even call
    > it a printer) once that I wasted so many good hours on trying to make it
    > print basic things let alone photos.
    >
    > I replaced cartridges, took it to the repair shop regularly - finally, I
    > reached a point that it was cheaper to toss the lot and cut my losses. I
    > did just that and I'll never buy another junk Canon product again.
    >
    > I brought an Epson 890 printer quite a while ago and it works faultlessly -
    > I'd swear by the Epson name - it works great.
    >
    > We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a theory that
    > some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.

    The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A year
    or so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website showing
    people one method of trying to clean the heads.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Todd Walker

    Mark M Guest

    Re: Canon abject hatred

    >> We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a
    >> theory that some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.

    > The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A
    > year
    > or so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website showing
    > people one method of trying to clean the heads.

    I must be the luckiest Epson guy on Earth...

    ....I've used my 1270 ever since it was released a few years ago, and have
    NEVER had one single clog. That's in spite of being sometimes left for
    months without a print...from days...to constant use. Never one clog.

    Why do you suppose that is?
    Mark M, Jul 24, 2003
  6. Todd Walker

    John M Guest

    Re: Canon abject hatred

    "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    > >> We have opposite stories with two similiar products. I have a
    > >> theory that some "units" are just jinxed, no matter whomakes them.

    > > The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A
    > > year
    > > or so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website showing
    > > people one method of trying to clean the heads.

    > I must be the luckiest Epson guy on Earth...
    >
    > ...I've used my 1270 ever since it was released a few years ago, and have
    > NEVER had one single clog. That's in spite of being sometimes left for
    > months without a print...from days...to constant use. Never one clog.
    >
    > Why do you suppose that is?

    It was cold and snowy last winter - global warming is a crock. My uncle
    smoked 3 packs a day and lived to 93 - smoking won't hurt you.

    My point is that sample sizes of 1 are worthless in general - especially to
    buyers researching a product. OTOH, they mean everything to that 1 person
    who has the great unit (or the lemon).
    John M, Jul 24, 2003
  7. Todd Walker

    Mark M Guest

    Re: Canon abject hatred

    John M wrote:
    > "Mark M" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A
    >>> year
    >>> or so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website
    >>> showing people one method of trying to clean the heads.

    >> I must be the luckiest Epson guy on Earth...
    >>
    >> ...I've used my 1270 ever since it was released a few years ago, and
    >> have NEVER had one single clog. That's in spite of being sometimes
    >> left for months without a print...from days...to constant use.
    >> Never one clog.
    >>
    >> Why do you suppose that is?

    > It was cold and snowy last winter - global warming is a crock. My
    > uncle smoked 3 packs a day and lived to 93 - smoking won't hurt you.
    >
    > My point is that sample sizes of 1 are worthless in general -
    > especially to buyers researching a product. OTOH, they mean
    > everything to that 1 person who has the great unit (or the lemon).

    That's all very nice, ecxept that I wasn't making any broader claims about
    Epson.
    I was just telling my experience, and wondering why I'm so lucky. Really.
    What could be the reason? I wasn't being sarcastic at all.
    Mark M, Jul 24, 2003
  8. Todd Walker

    Charlie D Guest

    Re: Canon abject hatred

    The Epson head clog problems are very well documented on the net. A
    yearor so ago it was such a problem, I put a page up at my website
    showing people one method of trying to clean the heads.

    So you're the SOB! ;)
    I had constant clogging on my 900 and finally, no matter how many head
    cleanings I did, it wouldn't print correctly. I always used Epson ctgs.

    Finally I tried the Windex technique. I don't know if that's what you
    posted. As I'm likely to do, I figured, if a little is good, a lot is
    better. Furthermore, I couldn't tell if I was getting any in there.

    Anyway, it then started dragging ink across the page. Either because I
    used too much Windex, or because the sponge was already saturated from
    the MANY previous cleanings.

    I trashed it and got an HP. A friend also has an Epson 900 and has had
    no problems. I'll give it to him for spare parts, also any cartridges I
    have left.

    I bought the 900 because of it's micro droplets. A friend at work had a
    cheap HP with photo ret and I compared prints under a magnifying glass.
    Mine had a tad more resolution, but for all practical purposes, his were
    fine.

    If I ever want a "real" photo printer, from what I read recently, I'll
    buy a Canon.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Jul 24, 2003
  9. Todd Walker

    David Cohen Guest

    Re: Canon abject hatred

    I have a Lexmark 3200. Some cartridges work fine, others show heavy
    banding right out of the box. Got a package of two color on sale, one
    works fine, other is just unuseable. I don't use it much, also have an
    HP 5L laser. Ink is too expensive to do much with inkjet printers.
    Dave Cohen

    David Cohen, Jul 24, 2003