Re: Epson Printer Ink Cartridges

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by johnblack09878@gmail.com, Oct 1, 2013.

  1. Guest

    On Saturday, March 10, 2001 2:36:05 PM UTC-5, HC wrote:
    > I have recently purchased an Epson Stylus Colour 680 printer but have just
    > found out that there is an "IC chip" on the ink cartridges which do not
    > allow me to refill them.
    >
    > Instead, it automatically remembers how much ink is in the cartridge and I
    > must purchase a new one each time it empties.
    >
    > This is going to cost too much!! Is there any way to disable this memory
    > chip, so I can refill old cartridges?

    get third party ink cartridges from http://inkfarm.notionsell.com

    , Oct 1, 2013

  2. <> wrote in message
    > On Saturday, March 10, 2001 2:36:05 PM UTC-5, HC wrote:
    >> I have recently purchased an Epson Stylus Colour 680 printer but have
    >> just
    >> found out that there is an "IC chip" on the ink cartridges which do not
    >> allow me to refill them.
    >>
    >> Instead, it automatically remembers how much ink is in the cartridge and
    >> must purchase a new one each time it empties.
    >>
    >> This is going to cost too much!! Is there any way to disable this memory
    >> chip, so I can refill old cartridges?

    > get third party ink cartridges from http://inkfarm.notionsell.com

    Screw that, get a whole new printer for the price of some ink cartridges.

    Laser printers have a far lower cost per page than an ink printer will ever
    hope to have.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 1, 2013

  3. Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >> On Saturday, March 10, 2001 2:36:05 PM UTC-5, HC wrote:
    >>> I have recently purchased an Epson Stylus Colour 680 printer but have
    >>> just
    >>> found out that there is an "IC chip" on the ink cartridges which do not
    >>> allow me to refill them.
    >>>
    >>> Instead, it automatically remembers how much ink is in the cartridge
    >>> and I
    >>> must purchase a new one each time it empties.
    >>>
    >>> This is going to cost too much!! Is there any way to disable this memory
    >>> chip, so I can refill old cartridges?

    >> get third party ink cartridges from http://inkfarm.notionsell.com

    > Screw that, get a whole new printer for the price of some ink cartridges.
    >
    > Laser printers have a far lower cost per page than an ink printer will
    > ever hope to have.

    I was told that the printer remembers the serial number (or some such)
    of the printer cartridge, so if it ran out of ink and you re-filled the
    cartridge, the printer complains.

    However, if you had a second cartridge (which had a different s/n), you
    could pull out the empty cartridge, then re-fill the other and stick it
    in the printer and you'd be hot to trot. Then just keep the cartridge
    you took out to put back in next time.

    Might be worth a try!

    Daniel

    , Oct 3, 2013
  4. "" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message

    >>> get third party ink cartridges from http://inkfarm.notionsell.com

    >> Screw that, get a whole new printer for the price of some ink cartridges.
    >>
    >> Laser printers have a far lower cost per page than an ink printer will
    >> ever hope to have.

    > I was told that the printer remembers the serial number (or some such) of
    > the printer cartridge, so if it ran out of ink and you re-filled the
    > cartridge, the printer complains.
    >
    > However, if you had a second cartridge (which had a different s/n), you
    > could pull out the empty cartridge, then re-fill the other and stick it in
    > the printer and you'd be hot to trot. Then just keep the cartridge you
    > took out to put back in next time.
    >
    > Might be worth a try!
    >
    > Daniel

    I once worked for Toshiba, in the division where copiers were made. We were
    just getting started in taking over the printer division -- which was
    formerly part of the computer business before the engineers and marketing
    people figured out that the engine that spits out pages is the same engine
    for copiers, faxes, and printers, and only the user interface was
    different -- and the ink cartridges were "controlled", but I forget how it
    was accomplished. There was a way to defeat the control mechanism, but I
    can't recall how we did it. We didn't spend much time defeating the controls
    because our position in the food-chain was with prototype equipment, and we
    had pallets of ink for free. The point of the control mechanism was purely
    to make people buy ink cartridges.

    The original that comes with the machine is a short-fill that gives hundreds
    of pages, not lots of hundreds but two or three, tops. The cartridges you
    buy should give more than a thousand pages, but this depends on the image
    density -- low density = more pages, high density = few pages.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 3, 2013