Re: EOS-6D - 20 Mpix FF [ WiFi, GPS ]

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by otter, Sep 18, 2012.

  1. otter

    otter Guest

    On Sep 17, 9:03 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > from  http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-6d/
    >
    > One of the key themes of Photokina 2012 is shaping up be the resurgence
    > of the full frame format, with the launch of a raft of cameras featuring
    > 24x36mm sensors. First up was Sony, with its SLR-like Alpha SLT-A99 and
    > Cyber-Shot RX1 fixed-lens compact. Now, just four days after arch-rival
    > Nikon announced what it billed as the 'smallest and lightest full frame
    > DSLR' in the shape of the D600, Canon has revealed its own contender -
    > the EOS 6D.
    >
    > The EOS 6D is best seen as a full frame version of the EOS 60D - indeed
    > it's very similar in both control layout and dimensions. Its front
    > profile is very similar to the Nikon D600, but it's rather slimmer
    > front-to-back, and lighter too. However it differs from the Nikon in a
    > number of key respects; for example it has Wi-Fi and GPS built-in, while
    > the D600 offers a distinctly higher spec'ed autofocus system, dual card
    > slots and a built-in flash.
    >
    > Canon EOS 6D key specifications
    >
    > 20.2MP full frame CMOS sensor
    > DIGIC 5+ image processor
    > ISO 100-25600 standard, 50-102800 expanded
    > 4.5 fps continuous shooting
    > 'Silent' shutter mode
    > 1080p30 video recording, stereo sound via external mic
    > 11 point AF system, center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV
    > 63 zone iFCL metering system
    > 97% viewfinder coverage; interchangeable screens (including Eg-D grid
    > and Eg-S fine-focus)
    > 1040k dot 3:2 3" ClearView LCD (fixed)
    > Single SD card slot
    > Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
    > Single-axis electronic level
    >
    > --
    > "C'mon boys, you're not laying pipe!".
    >                                  -John Keating.

    My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the
    D600, as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled
    enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3. I think if they price it low
    enough, they will be able to sell some of them. Not a very compelling
    camera for enthusiasts, but they can probably move a bunch at Costco.

    otter, Sep 18, 2012

  2. "otter" <> wrote in message

    > My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the
    > D600, as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled
    > enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3. I think if they price it low
    > enough, they will be able to sell some of them. Not a very compelling
    > camera for enthusiasts, but they can probably move a bunch at Costco.

    This sounds like how Canon treat customers at the Powershot end of the
    range. Welcome to the club.

    --
    Charles E. Hardwidge

    Charles E. Hardwidge, Sep 18, 2012

  3. otter

    Noons Guest

    Charles E. Hardwidge wrote,on my timestamp of 18/09/2012 6:06 PM:

    > This sounds like how Canon treat customers at the Powershot end of the range.
    > Welcome to the club.

    No thanks, that's one club I'll NEVER be in!

    Noons, Sep 18, 2012
  4. otter <> wrote:
    > On Sep 17, 9:03 pm, Alan Browne <>

    >> The EOS 6D is best seen as a full frame version of the EOS 60D - indeed
    >> it's very similar in both control layout and dimensions. Its front
    >> profile is very similar to the Nikon D600, but it's rather slimmer
    >> front-to-back, and lighter too. However it differs from the Nikon in a
    >> number of key respects; for example it has Wi-Fi and GPS built-in, while
    >> the D600 offers a distinctly higher spec'ed autofocus system, dual card
    >> slots and a built-in flash.

    >> Canon EOS 6D key specifications

    >> 20.2MP full frame CMOS sensor
    >> DIGIC 5+ image processor
    >> ISO 100-25600 standard, 50-102800 expanded
    >> 4.5 fps continuous shooting
    >> 'Silent' shutter mode
    >> 1080p30 video recording, stereo sound via external mic
    >> 11 point AF system, center point cross-type and sensitive to -3 EV
    >> 63 zone iFCL metering system
    >> 97% viewfinder coverage; interchangeable screens (including Eg-D grid
    >> and Eg-S fine-focus)
    >> 1040k dot 3:2 3" ClearView LCD (fixed)
    >> Single SD card slot
    >> Built-in Wi-Fi and GPS
    >> Single-axis electronic level

    > My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the
    > D600,

    Exactly what does the D600 have over the 6D so that people would
    change to Nikon? "It's body is 10 gramms less (without battery)
    compared to the 6D (with battery)?" "It's larger than the 6D?"

    Yes, it's probably a good camera, and surely has interesting
    features ... but so is and has the 6D, which steals all the
    thunder of the "smallest (and lightest) fullframe camera" claim.
    And probably it'll not be the cheapest either ...

    > as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled
    > enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3.

    The 6D may be the new 5D (Mark I).

    Anyway, why *should* Canon build a camera that threatens the
    5D3, but won't be interesting to those masses who don't want an
    almost-5D3 at almost-5D3 prices?

    > I think if they price it low
    > enough, they will be able to sell some of them. Not a very compelling
    > camera for enthusiasts,

    Based on the fact that enthusiasts already have the 7D and will
    all buy the 5D3 at least?

    Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
    enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 18, 2012
  5. otter

    otter Guest

    On Sep 18, 3:06 am, "Charles E. Hardwidge" <>
    wrote:
    > "otter" <> wrote in message

    > > My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the
    > > D600, as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled
    > > enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3.  I think if they price it low
    > > enough, they will be able to sell some of them.  Not a very compelling
    > > camera for enthusiasts, but they can probably move a bunch at Costco.

    > This sounds like how Canon treat customers at the Powershot end of the
    > range. Welcome to the club.
    >
    > --
    > Charles E. Hardwidge

    There is no law that says anyone is required to buy one, and I'm not
    going to. If I had some EF lenses and was looking for a cheap Canon
    full frame camera, I might consider it, though. Or I might buy a
    Nikon D600 or D800.

    Or I might blow a lot of money on a different camera that I want more
    than I need.

    otter, Sep 19, 2012
  6. otter

    Noons Guest

    otter wrote,on my timestamp of 19/09/2012 9:06 AM:

    > Or I might blow a lot of money on a different camera that I want more
    > than I need.

    Dang, that Sony A99 is looking sooooo good!...

    Noons, Sep 19, 2012
  7. otter

    Whisky-dave Guest

    On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:06:15 AM UTC+1, otter wrote:
    > On Sep 18, 3:06 am, "Charles E. Hardwidge" <>
    >
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "otter" <> wrote in message

    > > > My take is that with the 6D Canon isn't looking to compete with the

    > > > D600, as much as it is to create a low cost FF camera but crippled

    > > > enough that it didn't threaten the 5D3.  I think if they price it low

    > > > enough, they will be able to sell some of them.  Not a very compelling

    > > > camera for enthusiasts, but they can probably move a bunch at Costco.

    > > This sounds like how Canon treat customers at the Powershot end of the

    > > range. Welcome to the club.

    > > --

    > > Charles E. Hardwidge

    > There is no law that says anyone is required to buy one, and I'm not
    >
    > going to. If I had some EF lenses and was looking for a cheap Canon
    >
    > full frame camera, I might consider it, though. Or I might buy a
    >
    > Nikon D600 or D800.
    >

    > Or I might blow a lot of money on a different camera that I want more
    >
    > than I need.

    I tend to do that with most purchases.

    Whisky-dave, Sep 19, 2012
  8. otter

    Noons Guest

    On Sep 19, 7:17 am, Wolfgang Weisselberg <>
    wrote:

    > Exactly what does the D600 have over the 6D so that people would
    > change to Nikon?  "It's body is 10 gramms less (without battery)
    > compared to the 6D (with battery)?"  "It's larger than the 6D?"

    Er.... Lessee: the D400 is here and available now, the 6D isn't and
    won't be until December. Is that enough reality already?

    > And probably it'll not be the cheapest either ...

    Given the 6D is not yet available from anywhere, that would be a good
    prediction...

    > Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
    > enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

    Indeed.

    Noons, Sep 21, 2012
  9. otter

    PeterN Guest

    On 9/20/2012 10:57 PM, Noons wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 7:17 am, Wolfgang Weisselberg <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Exactly what does the D600 have over the 6D so that people would
    >> change to Nikon? "It's body is 10 gramms less (without battery)
    >> compared to the 6D (with battery)?" "It's larger than the 6D?"

    > Er.... Lessee: the D400 is here and available now, the 6D isn't and
    > won't be until December. Is that enough reality already?
    >

    >> And probably it'll not be the cheapest either ...

    > Given the 6D is not yet available from anywhere, that would be a good
    > prediction...
    >

    >> Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
    >> enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

    > Indeed.

    What store has the D400 for immediate delivery.
    Have you seen the official announcement?
    Link please

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Sep 21, 2012
  10. Noons <> wrote:
    > On Sep 19, 7:17 am, Wolfgang Weisselberg <>
    > wrote:

    >> Exactly what does the D600 have over the 6D so that people would
    >> change to Nikon?  "It's body is 10 gramms less (without battery)
    >> compared to the 6D (with battery)?"  "It's larger than the 6D?"

    > Er.... Lessee: the D400 is here and available now, the 6D isn't and
    > won't be until December. Is that enough reality already?

    The D400 isn't available. Not even for pre-order.
    There isn't any official announcement of the D400.
    Rumors put the D400 as a crop camera, while the 6D is a full
    frame camera.

    >> And probably it'll not be the cheapest either ...

    > Given the 6D is not yet available from anywhere, that would be a good
    > prediction...

    And yet is was billed as lightest, smallest, cheapest ...

    >> Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
    >> enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

    > Indeed.

    But it was a complete success ...
    Maybe your standards are not exactly relevant ...

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 22, 2012
  11. otter

    Noons Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote,on my timestamp of 22/09/2012 8:19 PM:

    > The D400 isn't available. Not even for pre-order.
    > There isn't any official announcement of the D400.
    > Rumors put the D400 as a crop camera, while the 6D is a full
    > frame camera.

    Obviously, I meant the D600. Which as I said: is here and available now.
    While the 6D is vaporware and will be for a long while.

    > And yet is was billed as lightest, smallest, cheapest ...

    and yet it's not available from anywhere for confirmation...

    >>> Well, the original 5D wasn't a very compelling camera for
    >>> enthusiasts either ... by your standards.

    >> Indeed.

    > But it was a complete success ...
    > Maybe your standards are not exactly relevant ...

    or maybe the 5d is not exactly relevant to me and was never a complete success...

    Noons, Sep 23, 2012
  12. Noons <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote,on my timestamp of 22/09/2012 8:19 PM:

    >> The D400 isn't available. Not even for pre-order.
    >> There isn't any official announcement of the D400.
    >> Rumors put the D400 as a crop camera, while the 6D is a full
    >> frame camera.

    > Obviously, I meant the D600.

    Naah, that's not so very obvious --- I don't follow Nikon cameras
    closely. You could well have meant some other camera.

    > Which as I said: is here and available now.
    > While the 6D is vaporware and will be for a long while.

    For decades at least! Probably centuries!

    >> And yet is was billed as lightest, smallest, cheapest ...

    > and yet it's not available from anywhere for confirmation...

    You could have had your confirmation at Photokina, others
    managed, if you didn't it was your fault:

    >>> Indeed.

    >> But it was a complete success ...
    >> Maybe your standards are not exactly relevant ...

    > or maybe the 5d is not exactly relevant to me

    Yep, back then Nikon was all "DX forever", so it wasn't relevant
    for you ...

    > and was never a complete success...

    You not buying a camera does not make the camera "never a complete
    success".

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 23, 2012
  13. otter

    Noons Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote,on my timestamp of 24/09/2012 6:57 AM:

    >> Obviously, I meant the D600.

    > Naah, that's not so very obvious --- I don't follow Nikon cameras
    > closely. You could well have meant some other camera.

    Hey, what can I say: you only follow a minor maker?...

    >> and yet it's not available from anywhere for confirmation...

    > You could have had your confirmation at Photokina, others
    > managed, if you didn't it was your fault:

    And yet, amazingly, I go to B&H and this:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892427-REG/Nikon_D600_Digital_Camera_Body.html

    has the magic words "In Stock" attached to it.

    While this:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892349-REG/Canon_8035b002_EOS_6D_Digital_Camera.html

    says "Available for pre-order"
    which I'm sure is Canon-speak for "available real soon now"?...

    > Yep, back then Nikon was all "DX forever", so it wasn't relevant
    > for you ...

    Back then I did not use Nikon dslrs, so that one is missed.

    > You not buying a camera does not make the camera "never a complete
    > success".

    Together with me, a lot of others...

    Noons, Sep 24, 2012
  14. Noons <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote,on my timestamp of 24/09/2012 6:57 AM:

    >>> Obviously, I meant the D600.

    >> Naah, that's not so very obvious --- I don't follow Nikon cameras
    >> closely. You could well have meant some other camera.

    > Hey, what can I say: you only follow a minor maker?...

    You can say that I *don't* follow minor makers.

    >>> and yet it's not available from anywhere for confirmation...

    >> You could have had your confirmation at Photokina, others
    >> managed, if you didn't it was your fault:

    > And yet, amazingly, I go to B&H

    If you can go to B&H, you can go to Photokina.

    > and this:
    > has the magic words "In Stock" attached to it.

    > While this:
    > says "Available for pre-order"

    So if you need a camera right now, you might sell all your lenses
    and start anew with the D600. Yep, sounds ideal.

    Whereas, if you are less impulsive, you know which cameras will
    be available from Canon soon, so you can plan to buy the right
    one and not be surprised tomorrow with a better matching camera.

    > which I'm sure is Canon-speak for "available real soon now"?...

    It's B&H-speak.
    Ask THEM what that means.

    >> Yep, back then Nikon was all "DX forever", so it wasn't relevant
    >> for you ...

    > Back then I did not use Nikon dslrs, so that one is missed.

    So which DSLRs did you use?
    Did you use any DSLR?
    Or ... maybe ... did you just follow some minor P&S maker?

    >> You not buying a camera does not make the camera "never a complete
    >> success".

    > Together with me, a lot of others...

    .... will never buy a single Nikon DSLR. So Nikon's DSLRs
    never were and never will be a complete success.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 24, 2012
  15. otter

    mariehoney

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Please Read This

    READING THIS COULD CHANGE YOUR LIFE! IT DOES WORK!

    I found this on a bulletin board and decided to try it. A little while
    back, I was browsing through newsgroups, just like you are now and
    came
    across an article similar to this that said you could make thousands
    of
    dollars within weeks with only an initial investment of $6.00! So I
    thought, 'Yeah right, this must be a scam', but like most of us, I was
    curious, so I kept reading. Anyway, it said that you send $1.00 to
    each
    of the 6 names and address stated in the article. You then place your
    own name and address in the bottom of the list at #6, and post the
    article in at least 200 newsgroups. There are thousands! No catch,
    that
    was it. So after thinking it over, and talking to a few people first,
    thought about trying it. I figured: 'what have I got to lose except 6
    stamps and $6.00, right?' Then I invested the measly $6.00. Well GUESS
    WHAT!?... within 7 days, I started getting money in the mail! I was
    shocked! I figured it would end soon, but the money just kept coming
    in.

    In my first week, I made about $25.00. By the end of the second week I
    had made a total of over $1,000.00! In the third week I had over
    $10,000.00 and it's still growing. This is now my fourth week and I
    have made a total of just over $42,000.00 and it's still coming in
    rapidly. It's certainly worth $6.00, and 6 stamps, I have spent more
    than that on the lottery!! Let me tell you how this works and most
    importantly, WHY it works... Also, make sure you print a copy of this
    article NOW, so you can get the information off of it as you need it.

    I promise you that if you follow the directions exactly, that you will
    start making more money than you thought possible by doing something
    so
    easy!

    Suggestion: Read this entire message carefully! (print it out or
    download it.) Follow the simple directions and watch the money come
    in!

    It's easy. It's legal. And, your investment is only $6.00 (Plus
    postage).

    IMPORTANT: This is not a rip-off; it is not indecent; it is not
    illegal; and it is 99% no risk - it really works!

    If all of the following instructions are adhered to, you will receive
    extraordinary dividends.

    PLEASE NOTE:
    Please follow these directions EXACTLY, and $50,000 or more can be
    yours in 20 to 60 days. This program remains successful because of the
    honesty and integrity of the participants. Please continue its success
    by carefully adhering to the instructions.

    You will now become part of the Mail Order business. In this business
    your product is not solid and tangible, it's a service. You are in the
    business of developing Mailing Lists. Many large corporations are
    happy
    to pay big bucks for quality lists. However, the money made from the
    mailing lists is secondary to the income which is made from people
    like
    you and me asking to be included in that list.

    Here are the 4 easy steps to success:

    STEP 1: Get 6 separate pieces of paper and write the following on each
    piece of paper 'PLEASE PUT ME ON YOUR MAILING LIST.' Now get 6 US
    $1.00
    bills and place ONE inside EACH of the 6 pieces of paper so the bill
    will not be seen through the envelope (to prevent thievery). Next,
    place one paper in each of the 6 envelopes and seal them. You should
    now have 6 sealed envelopes, each with a piece of paper stating the
    above phrase, your name and address, and a $1.00 bill. What you are
    doing is creating a service. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY LEGAL! You are
    requesting a legitimate service and you are paying for it! Like most
    of
    us I was a little skeptical and a little worried about the legal
    aspects of it all. So I checked it out with the U.S. Post Office
    (1-800-725-2161) and they confirmed that it is indeed legal. Mail the
    6
    envelopes to the following addresses:

    #1) T. Linkous
    115 Lee St.
    Greenville, NC 27858

    #2) E.H. Johnson
    P.O.Box 409
    Clearlake Oaks, CA 95423

    #3) L. Johnson
    5700 Ridge Club Loop, #302
    Orlando, FL 32839

    #4)J. Wine
    4502 Jouster Ct, #203
    Orlando, FL 32817

    #5) M. Ferguson
    828 Locust street
    Williamsport, PA 17701

    #6) R.M. Leedy
    34511 Jackson II Rd
    Carthage, NY 13619

    STEP 2: Now take the #1 name off the list that you see above, move the
    other names up (6 becomes 5, 5 becomes 4, etc...) and add YOUR Name as
    number 6 on the list.

    STEP 3: Change anything you need to, but try to keep this article as
    close to original as possible. Now, post your amended article to at
    least 200 newsgroups. (I think there are close to 24,000 groups) All
    you need is 200, but remember, the more you post, the more money you
    make! You won't get very much unless you post like crazy. :)

    This is perfectly legal! If you have any doubts, refer to Title 18
    Sec.
    1302 & 1341 of the Postal lottery laws. Keep a copy of these steps for
    yourself and, whenever you need money, you can use it again, and
    again.

    PLEASE REMEMBER that this program remains successful because of the
    honesty and integrity of the participants and by their carefully
    adhering to the directions. Look at it this way. If you are of
    integrity, the program will continue and the money that so many others
    have received will come your way.

    NOTE: You may want to retain every name and address sent to you,
    either
    on a computer or hard copy and keep the notes people send you.This
    VERIFIES that you are truly providing a service. (Also, it might be a
    good idea to wrap the $1 bill in dark paper to reduce the risk of mail
    theft.)

    So, as each post is downloaded and the directions carefully followed,
    six members will be reimbursed for their participation as a List
    Developer with one dollar each. Your name will move up the list
    geometrically so that when your name reaches the #1 position you will
    be receiving thousands of dollars in CASH!!! What an opportunity for
    only $6.00 ($1.00 for each of the first six people listed above) Send
    it now, add your own name to the list and you're in business!

    ---DIRECTIONS ----- FOR HOW TO POST TO NEWSGROUPS------------

    Step 1) You do not need to re-type this entire letter to do your own
    posting. Simply put your cursor at the beginning of this letter and
    drag your cursor to the bottom of this document, and select 'copy'
    from
    the edit menu. This will copy the entire letter into the computer's
    memory.

    Step 2) Open a blank 'notepad' file and place your cursor at the top
    of
    the blank page. From the 'edit' menu select 'paste'. This will paste a
    copy of the letter into notepad so that you can add your name to the
    list.

    Step 3) Save your new notepad file as a .txt file. If you want to do
    your postings in different settings, you'll always have this file to
    go
    back to.

    Step 4) Use Netscape or Internet explorer and try searching for
    various newsgroups (on-line forums, message boards, chat sites,
    discussions.)

    Step 5) Visit these message boards and post this article as a new
    message by highlighting the text of this letter and selecting paste
    from the edit menu. Fill in the Subject, this will be the header that
    everyone sees as they scroll through the list of postings in a
    particular group, click the post message button. You're done with your
    first one! Congratulations...THAT'S IT! All you have to do is
    jump to different newsgroups and post away, after you get the hang of
    it, it will take about 30 seconds for each newsgroup! **REMEMBER, THE
    MORE NEWSGROUPS YOU POST IN, THE MORE MONEY YOU WILL MAKE! BUT :YOU
    HAVE TO POST A MINIMUM OF 200** That's it! You will begin receiving
    money from around the world within days! You may eventually want to
    rent a P.O.Box due to the large amount of mail you will receive. If
    you
    wish to stay anonymous, you can invent a name to use, as long as the
    postman will deliver it. **JUST MAKE SURE ALL THE ADDRESSES ARE
    CORRECT.**

    Now, each of the 5 persons who just sent me $1.00 make the MINIMUM 200
    postings, each with my name at #5 and only 5 persons respond to each
    of
    the original 5, that is another $25.00 for me, now those 25 each make
    200 MINIMUM posts with my name at #4 and only 5 replies each, I will
    bring in an additional $125.00! Now, those 125 persons turn around and
    post the MINIMUM 200 with my name at #3 and only receive 5 replies
    each, I will make an additional $625.00! OK, now here is the fun part,
    each of those 625 persons post a MINIMUM 200 letters with my name at
    and they each only receive 5 replies, that just made me $3,125.00!!!
    Those 3,125 persons will all deliver this message to 200 newsgroups
    with my name at #1 and if still 5 persons per 200 newsgroups react I
    will receive $15,625,00! With an original investment of only $6.00!
    AMAZING! When your name is no longer on the list, you just take the
    latest posting in the newsgroups, and send out another $6.00 to names
    on the list, putting your name at number 6 again. And start posting
    again.

    The thing to remember is: do you realize that thousands of people all
    over the world are joining the internet and reading these articles
    everyday?, JUST LIKE YOU are now!! So, can you afford $6.00 and see if
    it really works?? I think so... People have said, 'what if the plan is
    played out and no one sends you the money? So what! What are the
    chances of that happening when there are tons of new honest users and
    new honest people who are joining the internet and newsgroups everyday
    and are willing to give it a try? Estimates are at 20,000 to 50,000
    new
    users, every day, with thousands of those joining the actual internet.
    Remember, play FAIRLY and HONESTLY and this will really work.

    mariehoney, Sep 24, 2012
  16. otter

    Noons Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote,on my timestamp of 25/09/2012 2:36 AM:

    > You can say that I *don't* follow minor makers.

    Pity, your loss. Size of maker means nothing and has never meant anything.

    > If you can go to B&H, you can go to Photokina.

    Why go to a once in a blue moon site when I can go to a permanently open dealer?
    Recall that bit about "minor"?

    > So if you need a camera right now, you might sell all your lenses
    > and start anew with the D600. Yep, sounds ideal.

    Why on Earth would I ever do that? Most of my lenses are either Nikon or Zeiss
    ZF. With a few Voigtlander and Leica thrown in for good measure. As well as Mamiya.

    > Whereas, if you are less impulsive, you know which cameras will
    > be available from Canon soon, so you can plan to buy the right
    > one and not be surprised tomorrow with a better matching camera.

    Sure. Just like in real soon now...

    > It's B&H-speak.
    > Ask THEM what that means.

    Narh, I don't have to. It's perfectly clear.
    It means: "Canon was caught with their pants down".

    > So which DSLRs did you use?

    None.

    > Did you use any DSLR?

    Nope.

    > Or ... maybe ... did you just follow some minor P&S maker?

    No. I used 35mm film. And still do.
    As well as dslrs (now) and m4/3 as well.
    Ah yes: and medium format film.

    > ... will never buy a single Nikon DSLR. So Nikon's DSLRs
    > never were and never will be a complete success

    ....just like Canon's.

    Noons, Sep 25, 2012
  17. Noons <> wrote:
    > Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote,on my timestamp of 25/09/2012 2:36 AM:

    >> You can say that I *don't* follow minor makers.

    > Pity, your loss. Size of maker means nothing and has never meant anything.

    Except things like much higher chances of survival of the mount,
    a larger, often much larger camera portfolio, a large or huge lens
    collection *with* all the amenities like fast AF and nowadays IS
    (which minor makers only get when they adopt an old mount without
    such amenities), a borad user base for buying and selling used
    gear, easier access to repair shops, ... shall I go on? Or will
    you next say that being sighted or not does mean nothing either?

    >> If you can go to B&H, you can go to Photokina.

    > Why go to a once in a blue moon site when I can go to a permanently open dealer?

    B&H does observe holidays, and not always when you would expect
    them to. "permanently open" is what the police or the fire
    brigade is.

    > Recall that bit about "minor"?

    Yes, what about it? Doesn't B&H carry minor makers?

    >> So if you need a camera right now, you might sell all your lenses
    >> and start anew with the D600. Yep, sounds ideal.

    > Why on Earth would I ever do that? Most of my lenses are either Nikon or Zeiss
    > ZF. With a few Voigtlander and Leica thrown in for good measure. As well as Mamiya.

    I see --- everyone is just like you and has only Nikon and Zeiss
    lenses ... and a few Voigtlander and Leica and Mamiya ones.

    >> Whereas, if you are less impulsive, you know which cameras will
    >> be available from Canon soon, so you can plan to buy the right
    >> one and not be surprised tomorrow with a better matching camera.

    > Sure. Just like in real soon now...

    Last I heard, less than 3 months.

    >> It's B&H-speak.
    >> Ask THEM what that means.

    > Narh, I don't have to. It's perfectly clear.
    > It means: "Canon was caught with their pants down".

    Yep, for maybe 3 months. How long did it take for Nikon to
    find out that people actually wanted FF after the 5D arrived?

    >> So which DSLRs did you use?

    > None.

    >> Did you use any DSLR?

    > Nope.

    Ah, so you're a newcomer to the field. Welcome, enjoy your stay.

    >> Or ... maybe ... did you just follow some minor P&S maker?

    > No. I used 35mm film. And still do.

    35mm film: Something only minor makers carter for any more.
    And something very often used in P&S cameras back then.

    > As well as dslrs (now) and m4/3 as well.

    Welcome, newbie.

    > Ah yes: and medium format film.

    What, no large format? No 8×11 mm film either?

    >> ... will never buy a single Nikon DSLR. So Nikon's DSLRs
    >> never were and never will be a complete success

    > ...just like Canon's.

    So your 'never a complete success' was just a misunderstanding on
    my part --- I should have gotten that you're writing in bad faith.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 25, 2012
  18. otter

    Robert Coe Guest

    :
[...]

    And we should have gotten that you're simply gibbering. "Last you heard", the
    6D will be available in less than three months? <guffaw!> What did you "hear",
    and from whom? And how often has that source been right?

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Sep 28, 2012
  19. Robert Coe <> wrote:

    > And we should have gotten that you're simply gibbering. "Last you heard", the
    > 6D will be available in less than three months? <guffaw!> What did you "hear",
    > and from whom? And how often has that source been right?

    Official Canon press release:
    http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e0248065d8c4

    Reputable sellers:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?is=REG&Q=&A=details&O=productlist&sku=892349

    News on the internet:
    http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/17/canon-eos-6d-dslr/
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/17/ca...d-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-aps-c-at-2099/
    http://www.techradar.com/news/photo...eras/canon-unveils-super-light-eos-6d-1097835
    http://mashable.com/2012/09/17/canon-eos-6d/
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/17/3...ull-frame-dslr-wi-fi-release-date-price-specs
    http://www.gizmag.com/canon-eos-6d/24164/
    http://gizmodo.com/5943763/canon-eos-6d-the-cheapest-full frame-dslr-ever
    http://www.petapixel.com/2012/09/17...allest-lightest-and-cheapest-full-frame-dslr/
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=3063
    http://seamlessphoto.com/beinspired/2012/09/just-announced-canon-6d-full-frame-dslr/
    http://www.videouniversity.com/canon-6d-is-full-frame-with-gps-and-wi-fi/
    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/436472/canon_launches_eos_6d_entry-level_full-frame_dslr/
    http://community.futureshop.ca/t5/T...nnounced-Coming-to-Future-Shop-in/ba-p/385422
    http://www.cnet.com.au/hands-on-with-the-canon-eos-6d-339341530.htm
    http://www.bjp-online.com/british-j...n-launches-its-smallest-fullframe-digital-slr
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/camera-reviews/canon/eos-6d/canon-eos-6d-review.html
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/new...hoes-rival-launches-affordable-full-frame-slr
    http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/09/17/canon-eos-6d-price-specs-release-date-confirmed/
    http://www.pluggedin.co.uk/article/canon-eos-6d-vs-nikon-d600-full-frame-dslr-battle
    (and that's just a few)

    Even wikipedia has that info (*and* a link to the press release):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_6D

    Who's simply gibbering, Robert?

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Sep 28, 2012
  20. otter

    Noons Guest

    Wolfgang Weisselberg wrote,on my timestamp of 25/09/2012 11:52 PM:

    >> Pity, your loss. Size of maker means nothing and has never meant anything.

    > Except things like much higher chances of survival of the mount,
    > a larger, often much larger camera portfolio, a large or huge lens
    > collection *with* all the amenities like fast AF and nowadays IS
    > (which minor makers only get when they adopt an old mount without
    > such amenities), a borad user base for buying and selling used
    > gear, easier access to repair shops, ... shall I go on? Or will
    > you next say that being sighted or not does mean nothing either?

    "used gear"??? But.... Isn't that Canon rubbish a "perfect camera/lens"combo
    that never needs updating? Frankly, I'm disappointed! You mean people actually
    stop using Canon? Heathen!

    > Yes, what about it? Doesn't B&H carry minor makers?

    Yeah, sure: B&H is a minor dealer. Of course.
    And from now on, I'm the Dalai Lama.

    > I see --- everyone is just like you and has only Nikon and Zeiss
    > lenses ... and a few Voigtlander and Leica and Mamiya ones.

    Hey, what can I say except that greatness is something to aspire to?

    > Last I heard, less than 3 months.

    BWAHAHAHAHA! So is Xmas.

    > Yep, for maybe 3 months. How long did it take for Nikon to
    > find out that people actually wanted FF after the 5D arrived?

    3 months? BWAHAHAHAHA!
    Nikon? Dunno. Not even interested.

    > Ah, so you're a newcomer to the field. Welcome, enjoy your stay.

    Not really.

    > 35mm film: Something only minor makers carter for any more.

    Sure. Like Canon.

    > And something very often used in P&S cameras back then.

    Sure. Just like the iPhone now. And by the same kind of crowd.

    >> As well as dslrs (now) and m4/3 as well.

    > Welcome, newbie.

    Thank you.

    >> Ah yes: and medium format film.

    > What, no large format? No 8×11 mm film either?

    No. I don't see what's the point with large format other than for weird
    perspective manipulations. As for 8X11, not really: I leave that sort of
    "quality" to modern p&s digital.

    > my part --- I should have gotten that you're writing in bad faith.

    Sorry, I don't do religion.

    Noons, Sep 28, 2012