Re: Encryption software for XP?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by VanguardLH, Nov 20, 2008.

  1. VanguardLH

    VanguardLH Guest

    Sarah Houston wrote:

    > I use Pegasus mail on Windows XP Home edition.
    >
    > Is there some kind of software for sending encrypted emails to friends,
    > with strong encryption, but pretty much transparently done ( don't have to
    > fast and meditate to be able to use it? ) and that doesn't cost much for
    > the software?

    Doesn't the Pegasus e-mail client support x.509 e-mail certificates?
    You can get them for free at Thawte (acquired by Verisign but the e-mail
    certs from Thawte are still free). You don't encrypt your e-mails. You
    decrypt those that you receive. Encryption is by invite: someone sends
    you a digitally signed e-mail using the public key from their e-mail
    cert. You then encrypt your e-mail using THEIR public key. When they
    get your e-mail, they decrypt using THEIR private key which only they
    have. For you to *get* encrypted e-mails, you send the other person
    your public key by digitally signing your e-mail to them which they used
    to decrypt their e-mail which you use your private key to decrypt. The
    sender needs the public key from the recipient's e-mail cert. If the
    recipient doesn't want to get encrypted e-mails, they just never bother
    sending you their public key, so they invite you to encrypt to them.

    Been awhile since I trialed Pegasus but I doubt that it doesn't support
    encrypted e-mails. http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm
    mentions encryption but it mentions PGP. I've never wasted my time with
    PGP (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy) but instead just
    used the standardized X.509 certs primarily because support has been
    built into the e-mail clients that I've used.
    VanguardLH, Nov 20, 2008

  2. VanguardLH

    Russ Guest

    Neil - Salem, MA USA wrote:
    > "Sarah Houston" <> wrote in message
    >> VanguardLH <> wrote :

    >>> Doesn't the Pegasus e-mail client support x.509 e-mail certificates?

    >> I honestly don't know, I've never used encryption before.
    >>
    >> I tried years ago ( mid-90's ), but it was REALLY hard to use, at least
    >> for me.
    >>
    >>> You can get them for free at Thawte (acquired by Verisign but the
    >>> e-mail certs from Thawte are still free). You don't encrypt your
    >>> e-mails. You decrypt those that you receive. Encryption is by
    >>> invite: someone sends you a digitally signed e-mail using the public
    >>> key from their e-mail cert. You then encrypt your e-mail using THEIR
    >>> public key. When they get your e-mail, they decrypt using THEIR
    >>> private key which only they have. For you to *get* encrypted
    >>> e-mails, you send the other person your public key by digitally
    >>> signing your e-mail to them which they used to decrypt their e-mail
    >>> which you use your private key to decrypt. The sender needs the
    >>> public key from the recipient's e-mail cert. If the recipient
    >>> doesn't want to get encrypted e-mails, they just never bother sending
    >>> you their public key, so they invite you to encrypt to them.
    >>>
    >>> Been awhile since I trialed Pegasus but I doubt that it doesn't
    >>> support encrypted e-mails.
    >>> http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_winpmail.htm mentions encryption
    >>> but it mentions PGP. I've never wasted my time with PGP
    >>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Good_Privacy) but instead just
    >>> used the standardized X.509 certs primarily because support has been
    >>> built into the e-mail clients that I've used.

    >> I know so little about this yet, which is why I was asking.
    >>

    > As VanguardLH says, X.509 Certificates are supported by many email clients.
    > You can get one from Thawte for free
    > (http://www.thawte.com/secure-email/personal-email-certificates/) or you can
    > generate your own using OpenSSL.
    >
    > I have create my own self-signed Certificate and private key using OpenSSL.
    > It's very easy and it's free.
    >
    > If you want some guidance on how to create your own Certificate using
    > OpenSSL, post back here and I'll give you some links that will help you.
    >
    > You probably know that you can get PGP Desktop for free
    > (http://www.pgp.com/downloads/desktoptrial/desktoptrial2.htm) and then
    > purchase a license for $99 that will allow you to automate your email
    > encryption and decryption as you send and receive emails. I've chosen to
    > use this option along with using X.509 Certificates.
    >
    > Neil - Salem, MA USA

    You mean http://www.pgp.com/downloads/desktoptrial/desktoptrial2.html
    (missed the "L" on the end)
    I guess some browsers might ignore it..Firefox didn't.

    Russ, Nov 22, 2008