Re: Encoding/Encryption

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by thanatoid, Feb 8, 2009.

  1. thanatoid

    thanatoid Guest

    "sugaree" <sugaree@just don'ttellthemyouknowme> wrote in

    > Recently, when someone emails me a message with an
    > attachment, such as a music download, the message
    > starts with "begin 666" then the whole message is
    > encrypted. I'm usuing MS IE SP6, and I'm using
    > Gmail. Can anyone help explain why this happens and
    > what I can do to fix it? Thanks anybody

    The following may contain errors, but it should get you on the
    /some/ track, I will doubtlessly be corrected.

    "Begin 666" (or 664 or IIRC 662) indicates a regular uue (AOT
    yEnc or encrypted) Usenet post.= or non-text email attachment.

    Do all the lines start with M? I believe that indicates the
    sender, in their ignorance, used MIME.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME

    If so, you need a mime decoder, since your newsreader/email
    program doesn't decode it automatically.

    One's called mpack, there are others. A REALLY good file manager
    (NOT Windows Explorer) might be able to decode the image as
    well.

    Corrections appreciated, as I have had varying luck with those
    M-starting posts myself.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Feb 8, 2009