Re: EMI Protected Audio Disks..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter S, Aug 18, 2003.

  1. Peter S

    Peter S Guest

    "Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message

    > Seems to me its wise to avoid all EMI CD's, we have now 3 Players that

    cant
    > play the Norah Jones CD, 2 Panasonic and one NAD..
    >
    > Here is some thing of interest , that even modern players can't play these
    > protected CD's.
    >
    > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/15/1060871749949.html
    >
    > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/05/1059849381595.html

    No, I like Norah Jones music too much. I appreciate the artist, and don't
    care about copy protected CD's at all. It is a non issue as they can be
    easily copied, and I don't really care about making a point that doesn't
    matter when it only affects a small amount of CD players. Time moves on, I
    would boycott the CD player manufacturers.

    We'll see how I feel when I try putting the album on an iPod however.

    Me.
    Peter S, Aug 18, 2003

  2. On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:50:22 +1200, "Peter S" <>
    wrote:

    >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Seems to me its wise to avoid all EMI CD's, we have now 3 Players that

    >cant
    >> play the Norah Jones CD, 2 Panasonic and one NAD..
    >>
    >> Here is some thing of interest , that even modern players can't play these
    >> protected CD's.
    >>
    >> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/15/1060871749949.html
    >>
    >> http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/05/1059849381595.html
    >>

    >No, I like Norah Jones music too much. I appreciate the artist, and don't
    >care about copy protected CD's at all. It is a non issue as they can be
    >easily copied, and I don't really care about making a point that doesn't
    >matter when it only affects a small amount of CD players. Time moves on, I
    >would boycott the CD player manufacturers.
    >
    >We'll see how I feel when I try putting the album on an iPod however.
    >
    >Me.

    What a Dick head you are, as its the CD's fault not the Players, the CD's are
    not made to the Philips Red Book standard..
    Robert Mathews, Aug 18, 2003

  3. Out from under a rock popped Peter S and said

    > Ah, how polite you are! A true gentleman!
    >
    > Time and technology moves on and evolves - What we call a CD Player in
    > the past and now are two different things. Similarly, I consider that
    > CD's now and in the past are two different things. Indeed they do not
    > obey the Philips Red Book standard, but the fact is that technology
    > and society necessitates moving beyond that and music publishers and
    > artists have a right to try and protect their work.

    Yes Roger is quite a chump. I don't think the issue is whether or not the
    CD follows the Red book standard as plenty of CDs haven't since it was
    drafted. The issue is the CD not being fit for purpose under normal
    consumer law. What is farcical about them is that it's new CD players with
    anti-skip technology that seem to have the most problems with them, so we
    have new technology that won't work with new technology.

    In the end the recording industry is damaging the reputation of the artists
    by implimenting the wrong solution to the wrong problem.
    Robert Singers, Aug 18, 2003
  4. On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:25:33 +1200, "Peter S" <>
    wrote:

    >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:50:22 +1200, "Peter S" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message

    >> >cant

    >these

    >> >No, I like Norah Jones music too much. I appreciate the artist, and don't
    >> >care about copy protected CD's at all. It is a non issue as they can be
    >> >easily copied, and I don't really care about making a point that doesn't
    >> >matter when it only affects a small amount of CD players. Time moves on,

    >> >would boycott the CD player manufacturers.
    >> >
    >> >We'll see how I feel when I try putting the album on an iPod however.
    >> >
    >> >Me.
    >> >

    >> What a Dick head you are, as its the CD's fault not the Players, the CD's

    >are
    >> not made to the Philips Red Book standard..

    >Ah, how polite you are! A true gentleman!

    No you stated some thing that got right up my nose, seem to me you are a
    teenager from the comments you made.

    >Time and technology moves on and evolves - What we call a CD Player in the
    >past and now are two different things. Similarly, I consider that CD's now
    >and in the past are two different things. Indeed they do not obey the
    >Philips Red Book standard, but the fact is that technology and society
    >necessitates moving beyond that and music publishers and artists have a
    >right to try and protect their work.

    But not at the expense of customers.
    Robert Mathews, Aug 19, 2003
  5. Peter S

    rj Guest

    In article <%A30b.12280$>,
    says...

    >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 23:50:22 +1200, "Peter S" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message

    >> >cant

    >these

    >> >No, I like Norah Jones music too much. I appreciate the artist, and don't
    >> >care about copy protected CD's at all. It is a non issue as they can be
    >> >easily copied, and I don't really care about making a point that doesn't
    >> >matter when it only affects a small amount of CD players. Time moves on,

    >> >would boycott the CD player manufacturers.
    >> >
    >> >We'll see how I feel when I try putting the album on an iPod however.
    >> >
    >> >Me.
    >> >

    >> What a Dick head you are, as its the CD's fault not the Players, the CD's

    >are
    >> not made to the Philips Red Book standard..

    >Ah, how polite you are! A true gentleman!
    >
    >Time and technology moves on and evolves - What we call a CD Player in the
    >past and now are two different things. Similarly, I consider that CD's now
    >and in the past are two different things. Indeed they do not obey the
    >Philips Red Book standard, but the fact is that technology and society
    >necessitates moving beyond that and music publishers and artists have a
    >right to try and protect their work.

    In which case the consumer has a right to be supplied with a product
    that works, otherwise it should be clearly labelled.
    "THIS CD MAY NOT PLAY IN SOME CD PLAYERS"
    Heh, let's see what that does for sales.

    A Brazilian court agrees:

    EMI Loses Out To Brazil

    "Music giant EMI could potentially be in a huge hole after losing a
    court case over the copy protection of its CDs in South America. A
    Brazilian native, Pablo Enrique Andrade, took action against the
    company after a CD, which was bought completely legally, failed to
    play in his car. Apparently the reason for the problem was that the
    anti-piracy measures installed on all EMI discs interfered with the
    mechanism of this particular player. The court upheld his complaint,
    ordered that the record label fix the problem, and awarded Mr Andrade
    R$1,000 (around £250) in costs. EMI is appealing.

    Such a small payout will obviously not hurt a company as rich as EMI.
    It coul be, however, that this is just the tip of a very dangerous
    iceberg. When you consider that Brazil alone has a population of over
    150 million, a large proportion of whom probably own at least one EMI
    CD, you can see that this is setting a significant precedent. 150
    million times £250 equals a lot of money..."
    rj, Aug 19, 2003
  6. "Peter S" <> wrote in message
    > "Robert Mathews" <> wrote in message
    > >

    > > Seems to me its wise to avoid all EMI CD's, we have now 3 Players that

    > cant
    > > play the Norah Jones CD, 2 Panasonic and one NAD..
    > >
    > > Here is some thing of interest , that even modern players can't play

    these
    > > protected CD's.
    > >
    > > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/15/1060871749949.html
    > >
    > > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/05/1059849381595.html
    > >

    > No, I like Norah Jones music too much. I appreciate the artist, and don't
    > care about copy protected CD's at all. It is a non issue as they can be
    > easily copied, and I don't really care about making a point that doesn't
    > matter when it only affects a small amount of CD players. Time moves on, I
    > would boycott the CD player manufacturers.
    >
    > We'll see how I feel when I try putting the album on an iPod however.
    >
    > Me.

    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    The record companies have protected their market from the effect of online
    file sharing at the expense of reducing the utility of their product.
    If mp3 players and minidisc players can now no longer be used for people to
    make their own compilations of current music off their PCs, they will just
    discard them.
    Once upon a time in the olden days people used to buy CDs and listen to them
    in the lounge.
    Those days have gone, music on the move is now the norm, 15-30 yr olds with
    the disposable income love their minidisk compilations.
    The record companies are shooting at their feet, increasing their share of a
    reduced size cake.
    You would have to be incredibly naive about consumers to believe that these
    tactics will result in and increase in CD sales.
    There is a market now for non copy protected compilations, so that portable
    player users have some source material
    Howard Johnson, Aug 19, 2003
  7. Peter S

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 15:46:27 +1200, Howard Johnson wrote:

    > Once upon a time in the olden days people used to buy CDs and listen to them
    > in the lounge.

    Still happens.

    --
    Gordon

    Google knows where to find things, ask at http://www.google.com
    Works for me, will work for you, so be it.
    Gordon, Aug 19, 2003