Re: Email Question on W-7

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Sep 11, 2010.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Valorie wrote:
    > Whay can't my anti-Virus program (Avast) scan my email in WindowsLive
    > mail in W/7? ?

    There are many good reasons to not AV scan your incoming or outgoing
    mail and such AV ware as MS's Security Essentials does not even provide
    a configuration for doing so.

    AV scanning email can cause corruption of your WLM stores.

    Here's an article which explains
    http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm Why
    You Don't Need Your Anti-Virus Program to Scan Your E-Mail

    Other articles such as Tbird's provide more pros and cons to the argument.

    > I get a window that says I have to disable SSL/TSL in my mail client
    > to have my mail scanned. Where is this located and how is it
    > disabled?

    You cannot/ must not/ disable a required configuration between your mail
    server and your mail client or you won't be able to get your mail.

    Better you should disable your AV agent's scanning your mail.

    > Also, why are years old messages on the server being
    > downloaded? How do I set this mail program to only download new
    > messages from gmail, not ones from 2006?

    If you set up an IMAP account for gmail, then the contents of the
    folders on gmail will be reflected in the contents of the folders of
    your WLM client.

    If you set up a POP account for gmail (instead) then the mail client
    will just download new email.

    There are advantages to IMAP over POP. Gmail explains the differences in
    this help article
    http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=75725 Getting
    started with IMAP for Gmail -- What's the difference between IMAP and
    POP? ... If you're trying to decide between using POP and using IMAP
    with Gmail, we recommend IMAP.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 11, 2010

  2. Mike Easter

    Meat Plow Guest

    Re: Email Question on W-7 = Another Question reemail/WindowsLiveMail

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 13:17:47 -0500, Valorie *~~ wrote:

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> There are advantages to IMAP over POP. Gmail explains the differences
    >> in this help article
    >> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=75725
    >> Getting started with IMAP for Gmail -- What's the difference between
    >> IMAP and POP? ... If you're trying to decide between using POP and
    >> using IMAP with Gmail, we recommend IMAP.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Mike Easter

    > I don't need IMAP since I only get email at home on my PC.
    >
    > How do I delete all the hundreds of old unwanted sent messages WLM sent
    > down? There is no "select all" that I can find. It takes 10 seconds to
    > delete each one individually. I'll be here for weeks getting rid of
    > them.
    > :mad:

    Can you select/highlight one and then hit control + A ?

    Meat Plow, Sep 11, 2010

  3. Re: Email Question on W-7 = Another Question re email/WindowsLiveMail

    Valorie *~~ wrote:

    > How do I delete all the hundreds of old unwanted sent messages WLM
    > sent down? There is no "select all" that I can find. It takes 10
    > seconds to delete each one individually. I'll be here for weeks
    > getting rid of them.
    >>: (

    Select the first one. Scroll to the end, hold down the Shift key and
    click the last one. Click the Delete button.

    You may also use Control-Click to select individual ones. These
    techniques are more-or-less standard operating functions in a lot of
    software.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 11, 2010
  4. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 17:21:44 -0500, Valorie *~~ wrote:

    >>> How do I delete all the hundreds of old unwanted sent messages WLM
    >>> sent down? There is no "select all" that I can find. It takes 10
    >>> seconds to delete each one individually. I'll be here for weeks
    >>> getting rid of them.
    >>> :mad:

    >> Can you select/highlight one and then hit control + A ?

    > That worked!!!! Thanks. :))))

    Duh...

    It's a standard fucking key combination for pretty much any Windoze
    application, you ignoramus.

    Who ties your shoelaces for you in the mornings?

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he put Spanish Fly in Christopher Robin's drink.

    Dan C, Sep 12, 2010
  5. Re: Email Question on W-7 = Another Question re email/WindowsLiveMail

    Dan C wrote:

    > It's a standard fucking key combination for pretty much any Windoze
    > application, you ignoramus.

    Probably works in Slackware, too. <lol>

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 12, 2010
  6. Mike Easter

    Meat Plow Guest

    Re: Email Question on W-7 = Another Question reemail/WindowsLiveMail

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:29:35 +0000, Dan C shit out:

    > Duh...
    >
    > It's a standard fucking key combination for pretty much any Windoze
    > application, you ignoramus.

    LOL PWNED! Windroid!

    Meat Plow, Sep 12, 2010
  7. Mike Easter

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:52:47 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> It's a standard fucking key combination for pretty much any Windoze
    >> application, you ignoramus.

    > Probably works in Slackware, too. <lol>

    Only if you have a decade old PC that Shitware will run on.

    Meat Plow, Sep 12, 2010
  8. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    Re: Email Question on W-7 = Another Question reemail/WindowsLiveMail

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:52:47 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Dan C wrote:
    >
    >> It's a standard fucking key combination for pretty much any Windoze
    >> application, you ignoramus.

    > Probably works in Slackware, too. <lol>

    Matter of fact, it does!

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as the antimatter containment vessel ruptured.

    Dan C, Sep 12, 2010
  9. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:57:52 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 19:52:47 -0400, Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Dan C wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's a standard fucking key combination for pretty much any Windoze
    >>> application, you ignoramus.

    >> Probably works in Slackware, too. <lol>

    > Only if you have a decade old PC that Shitware will run on.

    Heh. Funny, Slackware 13.1 is running perfectly on this (brand new)
    Lenovo Thinkpad T510. Cutting edge hardware, and a rock solid OS, a
    perfect combination!

    Oh, yeah. You're the one who can't get Slackware installed. See my sig
    block for a clue, n00b. LOL!

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as Kanga sneezed in his honey pot.

    Dan C, Sep 12, 2010
  10. Mike Easter

    Dan C Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:56:18 +0000, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:29:35 +0000, Dan C shit out:
    >
    >> Duh...
    >>
    >> It's a standard fucking key combination for pretty much any Windoze
    >> application, you ignoramus.

    > LOL PWNED! Windroid!

    Huh? How do you figure that, shit-fer-brains? Did I say I was using
    Windoze? Nope. The above is just general fucking knowledge that any
    serious computer user (or even a casual ignorant stooge such as yourself)
    should know.

    LOL! Reversal PWNED!

    "Bother!" said Pooh, as he found his pit crew eating ice cream.

    Dan C, Sep 12, 2010