Re: email infection again

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rob, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Nina" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I downloaded a patch from MS but how are they to communicate with me? I

    dare not
    > read any MS message...ever again?
    >
    > Nina

    Microsoft don't send email warning about virii, trojans, or information
    about patches. The only email anyone is likely to receive from Microsoft
    would be in response to a support request etc. So basically, if you receive
    any unsolicited email purporting to be from MS, it is most probably a virus
    and should be deleted without opening.

    Rob
    Rob, Sep 23, 2003

  2. "Rob" <> wrote in message

    > "Nina" <> wrote in message
    > > I downloaded a patch from MS but how are they to communicate with me? I

    > dare not
    > > read any MS message...ever again?
    > >
    > > Nina

    > Microsoft don't send email warning about virii, trojans, or information
    > about patches. The only email anyone is likely to receive from Microsoft
    > would be in response to a support request etc. So basically, if you

    receive
    > any unsolicited email purporting to be from MS, it is most probably a

    virus
    > and should be deleted without opening.
    >
    > Rob

    Microsoft *does* send emails about potential issues (for example, you can
    sign up for email update alerts at
    www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/decision.asp ) but we
    ***NEVER*** send updates or patches as email attachments.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
    Brett Roberts, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Rob

    Rob Guest

    "Brett Roberts" <> wrote in message
    > "Rob" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Nina" <> wrote in message
    > > > I downloaded a patch from MS but how are they to communicate with me?

    > > dare not
    > > > read any MS message...ever again?
    > > >
    > > > Nina

    > > Microsoft don't send email warning about virii, trojans, or information
    > > about patches. The only email anyone is likely to receive from Microsoft
    > > would be in response to a support request etc. So basically, if you

    > receive
    > > any unsolicited email purporting to be from MS, it is most probably a

    > virus
    > > and should be deleted without opening.
    > >
    > > Rob
    > >

    > Microsoft *does* send emails about potential issues (for example, you can
    > sign up for email update alerts at
    > www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/decision.asp ) but we
    > ***NEVER*** send updates or patches as email attachments.
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ

    Ooops, forgot about the sign-up services. But that only reinforces my point
    about _unsolicited_ email.

    Rob
    Rob, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Rob

    T-Boy Guest

    In article <>,
    *@*.* says...
    > In article <bko2hi$k2c$>, phstpok@cold-hot-warm-tepid-
    > mail.com says...
    > >
    > > "Nina" <> wrote in message
    > > > I downloaded a patch from MS but how are they to communicate with me? I

    > > dare not
    > > > read any MS message...ever again?
    > > >
    > > > Nina

    > > Microsoft don't send email warning about virii, trojans, or information
    > > about patches.

    > Rubbish
    >
    > If you sign up to any Microsoft mailing list they do send you this
    > information.

    They don't send *unsolicited* email warning... (you know that
    was implied).

    --
    Duncan
    T-Boy, Sep 24, 2003