Re: Electric car conversion

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Whiskers, Aug 16, 2009.

  1. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-08-16, philo <> wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 04:42:25 -0500, philo <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Friend of mine built this
    >>>
    >>> http://www.tdlelectronics.com/EV.shtml

    >> Looks like they did a nice job. But failed to mention anything about
    >> speed.
    >>
    >> I wouldn't mind doing something similar but I ain't gonna go to the
    >> expense just to get a 10mph toy. I'd want mine to have at least a
    >> speed of 55mph or better.
    >>

    > His car can easily go over 70 mph

    Would also be interesting to know how long it takes to recharge the
    vehicle's batteries - and how many hours of direct sunlight are required
    to collect the energy for a one-hour journey, and how large the solar
    collector is (and how much it cost).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 16, 2009

  2. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-08-16, philo <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:

    [...]

    > But I can tell you that the solar panel was $100,000 USD
    >

    > http://www.tdlelectronics.com/Barn/Barn Solar.html
    >

    > So this is not a project for the "average home user"

    Indeed not!

    > This being Wisconsin, it will be *many* years before payback is
    > achieved...

    Decades if not life-times, I suspect.

    > but a smaller version of the project...in Arizona might be
    > feasible for many people
    >

    > Main page here http://www.tdlelectronics.com/

    Might be just about useful for an electric bike for short journeys in the
    tropics. Not going to work in London though! There are good reasons why
    plug-in electric vehicles are scarce; you can't have cheap, fast,
    comfortable, and long range, all at once.

    Apart from milk-floats (which were common decades ago but now almost
    extinct) the only electric vehicle that has really made any impression is
    the "G-Wizz" <http://www.goingreen.co.uk/store> which is very limited in
    its appeal, and costs more than a conventional (larger and more
    comfortable) petrol or diesel small car. Its chief attraction is probably
    exemption from the 'Congestion Charge' of £8 a day in central London -
    which you also get with any two-wheeler. As a car, its pretty horrid - and
    it doesn't actually qualify as a car at all, being classified as a 'heavy
    quadricycle'.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 16, 2009

  3. Whiskers

    philo Guest

    >> So this is not a project for the "average home user"

    > Indeed not!
    >
    >> This being Wisconsin, it will be *many* years before payback is
    >> achieved...

    > Decades if not life-times, I suspect.

    Because he produces more power than he uses...Wisconsin Energies issue
    him a check each month...but I am sure it will be 15 more years before
    he has made his money back!!!!

    >> but a smaller version of the project...in Arizona might be
    >> feasible for many people
    >>

    >> Main page here http://www.tdlelectronics.com/

    > Might be just about useful for an electric bike for short journeys in the
    > tropics. Not going to work in London though! There are good reasons why
    > plug-in electric vehicles are scarce; you can't have cheap, fast,
    > comfortable, and long range, all at once.
    >
    > Apart from milk-floats (which were common decades ago but now almost
    > extinct) the only electric vehicle that has really made any impression is
    > the "G-Wizz" <http://www.goingreen.co.uk/store> which is very limited in
    > its appeal, and costs more than a conventional (larger and more
    > comfortable) petrol or diesel small car. Its chief attraction is probably
    > exemption from the 'Congestion Charge' of £8 a day in central London -
    > which you also get with any two-wheeler. As a car, its pretty horrid - and
    > it doesn't actually qualify as a car at all, being classified as a 'heavy
    > quadricycle'.

    I don't know what the future will bring...
    but one thing is for sure:

    I am glad that I have no problem walking to most of my destinations!

    philo, Aug 16, 2009
  4. Whiskers

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2009-08-16, philo <> wrote:

    [...]

    > I don't know what the future will bring...
    > but one thing is for sure:
    >
    > I am glad that I have no problem walking to most of my destinations!

    /That/ is green :))

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Aug 16, 2009
  5. Whiskers

    philo Guest

    Whiskers wrote:
    > On 2009-08-16, philo <> wrote:
    >
    > [...]
    >
    >> I don't know what the future will bring...
    >> but one thing is for sure:
    >>
    >> I am glad that I have no problem walking to most of my destinations!

    > /That/ is green :))

    I am lucky that I live in a city where most of what I need is close by.

    Shopping, coffee shops, restaurants, movie theaters etc

    Best thing for me and the GF is a farmer's market near here.

    Plus...the exercise we get from walking keeps us both in good shape

    ....or in as good a shape as possible for someone of my advanced age <G>

    philo, Aug 16, 2009
  6. Whiskers

    joevan Guest

    On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 08:46:05 -0500, philo <>
    wrote:

    >>> So this is not a project for the "average home user"

    >> Indeed not!
    >>
    >>> This being Wisconsin, it will be *many* years before payback is
    >>> achieved...

    >> Decades if not life-times, I suspect.

    >Because he produces more power than he uses...Wisconsin Energies issue
    >him a check each month...but I am sure it will be 15 more years before
    >he has made his money back!!!!
    >

    >>> but a smaller version of the project...in Arizona might be
    >>> feasible for many people
    >>>

    >>> Main page here http://www.tdlelectronics.com/

    >> Might be just about useful for an electric bike for short journeys in the
    >> tropics. Not going to work in London though! There are good reasons why
    >> plug-in electric vehicles are scarce; you can't have cheap, fast,
    >> comfortable, and long range, all at once.
    >>
    >> Apart from milk-floats (which were common decades ago but now almost
    >> extinct) the only electric vehicle that has really made any impression is
    >> the "G-Wizz" <http://www.goingreen.co.uk/store> which is very limited in
    >> its appeal, and costs more than a conventional (larger and more
    >> comfortable) petrol or diesel small car. Its chief attraction is probably
    >> exemption from the 'Congestion Charge' of £8 a day in central London -
    >> which you also get with any two-wheeler. As a car, its pretty horrid - and
    >> it doesn't actually qualify as a car at all, being classified as a 'heavy
    >> quadricycle'.
    >>

    >I don't know what the future will bring... Ol
    >but one thing is for sure:
    >
    >I am glad that I have no problem walking to most of my destinations!

    Same here, as I happen to live in a wonderful place. Been here 36
    years and it was pretty good back in 73 but each year it has gotten
    better and better. I about 10 minutes I will walk out myback door (
    garage) door and about 150 paces to my favorite resturant ever. I walk
    to the gym, I walk to the food places I like and once in while I take
    the bus for free to further than I want to take the time to walk in
    hot weather.
    Today my 18 year old took me to a big store for a few small parts in
    her car, which she bought with her own money. Paid for the insurance
    and all herself. Got a sticker so she can park anywhere for free.
    Legal spots that is. Just 30 bucks a year the first one and then 20
    bucks a year. Old age has some advantages, and I consider myself
    lucky except for my lack of a wife for 5 years due to cancer.

    joevan, Aug 16, 2009