Re: Eee one year on

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009.

  1. Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle, Jan 9, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    eyes Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    windows key?
    eyes, Jan 9, 2009
  4. eyes wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    > windows key?

    Haven't got a key with that symbol on it.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > eyes wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    >> windows key?

    > Haven't got a key with that symbol on it.

    He means the 'Start' key.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.
    Enkidu, Jan 9, 2009
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    EMB Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    F1
    EMB, Jan 9, 2009
  7. In message <gk71v8$8cf$>, Gib Bogle wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    Aw come on, I don't write "Eee" THAT often. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 9, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gk71v8$8cf$>, Gib Bogle wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    > Aw come on, I don't write "Eee" THAT often. :)

    I believe 'e' is the most used letter in the English language.
    Gib Bogle, Jan 9, 2009
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Enkidu Guest

    Gib Bogle wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> Aw come on, I don't write "Eee" THAT often. :)

    > I believe 'e' is the most used letter in the English language.

    Yeah but the space bar must get a good work out. <- 4 'e', 10 'space bar'.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Linux is theft.
    Enkidu, Jan 10, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >> Aw come on, I don't write "Eee" THAT often. :)

    > I believe 'e' is the most used letter in the English language.

    e t a o i n s h r d l c u m w f g y p b v k j x q z
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 10, 2009
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Aw come on, I don't write "Eee" THAT often. :)

    >> I believe 'e' is the most used letter in the English language.
    > >

    > Yeah but the space bar must get a good work out. <- 4 'e', 10 'space bar'.

    Frequency of space in English is 1.07 times more than 'e'.
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 10, 2009
  12. In message <gk8qia$33i$>, Nik Coughlin wrote:

    > "Gib Bogle" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I believe 'e' is the most used letter in the English language.

    > e t a o i n s h r d l c u m w f g y p b v k j x q z

    Varies slightly, depending on the source material
    <http://www.deafandblind.com/word_frequency.htm>.

    And then there's this <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ETAOIN_SHRDLU>.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 10, 2009
  13. In message <gk71b8$81h$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    OK, it's the down-arrow key. Which also doubles as the page-down key.

    So obviously I use both functions a lot.

    The next question is: why?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 12, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gib Bogle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <gk71b8$81h$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    > OK, it's the down-arrow key. Which also doubles as the page-down key.
    >
    > So obviously I use both functions a lot.
    >
    > The next question is: why?

    No, the next question is: who cares?
    Gib Bogle, Jan 12, 2009
  15. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-12, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <gk71b8$81h$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    > OK, it's the down-arrow key. Which also doubles as the page-down key.
    >
    > So obviously I use both functions a lot.
    >
    > The next question is: why?

    Indeed. Think about it readers
    Gordon, Jan 13, 2009
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-01-12, Gib Bogle <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <gk71b8$81h$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    >> OK, it's the down-arrow key. Which also doubles as the page-down key.
    >>
    >> So obviously I use both functions a lot.
    >>
    >> The next question is: why?

    > No, the next question is: who cares?

    One who does and finds the key munted
    Gordon, Jan 13, 2009
  17. In message <gkf2kl$ol$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <gk71b8$81h$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    > OK, it's the down-arrow key. Which also doubles as the page-down key.
    >
    > So obviously I use both functions a lot.
    >
    > The next question is: why?

    Because I find the touchpad such a pain to use, I avoid it whenever
    possible.

    My main application on the thing is Firefox. And I use the arrow keys to
    scroll through web pages. Naturally, the predominant direction is down...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 19, 2009
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Damos Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:43:06 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <gkf2kl$ol$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In message <gk71b8$81h$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> Guess which key on my Eee's keyboard is on its last legs...

    >> OK, it's the down-arrow key. Which also doubles as the page-down key.
    >>
    >> So obviously I use both functions a lot.
    >>
    >> The next question is: why?

    > Because I find the touchpad such a pain to use, I avoid it whenever
    > possible.
    >
    > My main application on the thing is Firefox. And I use the arrow keys to
    > scroll through web pages. Naturally, the predominant direction is down...

    Well I use Opera on mine so use the space bar to scroll down one page at a
    time and
    use a two finger scroll on the touchpad to scroll within the window.
    (E901 with XP SP3)

    Saves the keyboard I think...

    D.

    Damos, Jan 19, 2009
  19. In message <op.unzwc4eib54j00@avon>, Damos wrote:

    > On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 13:43:06 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> My main application on the thing is Firefox. And I use the arrow keys to
    >> scroll through web pages. Naturally, the predominant direction is down...

    > Well I ... use the space bar to scroll down one page at a time ...

    That works in Firefox too. But then I use the other arrow keys to move in
    other directions, and the space bar is some distance away, which makes it
    less convenient to use.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 19, 2009