Re: Editors...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Peter, Mar 6, 2010.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Longfellow" <> wrote in message
    > Some comments and questions:
    >
    > First, a comment:
    >
    > GIMP is fairly powerful and the matter of "intuitive interface" is a
    > personal call. It does, however, lack color depth. (Recent versions
    > are supposed to have a non default "Use GEGL" for 16 and 32 bpc, but
    > apparently it's very slow.) It also cannot do CMYK, or that used to be
    > the case... haven't checked lately.
    >
    > Second, what I've got:
    >
    > I've got an Epson 3800 that I've just unpacked and set up (after 7
    > months: wife died the day it arrived). And I bought a barn burner HP
    > Pavilion Quad-core with 8g of RAM running Windows 7 64 bit. So far, all
    > I've done is get the latest drivers for the 3800. I've not chosen
    > editing software at all.
    >
    > The issues are:
    >
    > 1) 64 bit OS and what will and will not run on Windows 7 64 bit. PSE
    > 7-8 apparently will not. CS-4 is said to be 64 bit enabled but CS-5 is
    > said to be due out in April, and is said to have much more solid 64 bit
    > capability (compiled specifically for W7? Dunno.) Does anyone have any
    > idea about CS-5? It would be worth waiting a month or so if it indeed
    > runs W7 64 bit more reliably that CS-4.
    >
    > 2) CS-x is said to to be the industry standard, but some say there are
    > better apps out there that haven't gained enough market share to be
    > widely evaluated. The apparent presumption is that the best money can
    > buy is CS {latest} and Lightroom {latest}, that they interface smoothly
    > and compliment each other for capabilities. That said, there are
    > niggling complaints, for instance, about RAW capabilities. What's the
    > reality?
    >
    > 3) Color depth is an issue, which is why I don't use the GIMP now.
    > I've used Cinepaint for scanned negs, just for 16 bpc. I really do
    > prefer *NIX systems, and I do despise Microsoft products, but it's
    > effectively the only game in town for good color. Thing is, there are
    > some parameters involved: The neg scanner is a Minolta Dimage Scan
    > Elite 5400 (1st version) that puts out 16 bit .tiffs. And 16 versus 8
    > bpc does make a very noticeable difference in prints, which is why I
    > regard it as important.
    >
    > Now, however, I'm shooting digital with a Canon 5D2 w/ "L" glass. Very
    > nice images, but I gather they only have 14 bpc depth. Seems to me that
    > the difference between 14 and 16 bpc would be very hard to detect, but I
    > don't know for sure. Does anyone have a handle on this matter?
    >
    > I'm looking for specific responses that aren't just general opinions
    > and/or trolls.
    >
    > Thanks for reading, and thanks for any and all useful responses.

    FWIIW

    I am running CS3 under Windows7 on a 64 bit machine under a 32 bit mode. I
    find it extremely fast. CS4 will install both as a 32 bit and 64 bit app.
    According to my friends with CS4, the plugins run as 32 bit apps.
    My personal choice is to upgrade every other version, unless there is a
    feature I really need. I will wait until CS5 comes out. It just went into
    beta testing. I have been told that a beta copy is available through NAPP. I
    am not a member so I cannot say for certain. Meanwhile you can always get a
    free 60 day trial version of CS4.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Mar 6, 2010

  2. Peter

    nospam Guest

    In article <4b92aec1$0$27758$-secrets.com>, Peter
    <> wrote:

    > According to my friends with CS4, the plugins run as 32 bit apps.

    only if the plugins haven't been updated for 64 bit.

    nospam, Mar 6, 2010

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "nospam" <> wrote in message
    > In article <4b92aec1$0$27758$-secrets.com>, Peter
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> According to my friends with CS4, the plugins run as 32 bit apps.

    > only if the plugins haven't been updated for 64 bit.

    Of course. But if you are planning an upgrade, unless you have a need, then
    you may as well wait for CS5. If you don't use the plugins then it is not an
    issue.

    --
    Peter

    Peter, Mar 6, 2010
  4. Peter

    nospam Guest

    In article <4b92d343$0$27730$-secrets.com>, Peter
    <> wrote:

    > >> According to my friends with CS4, the plugins run as 32 bit apps.

    > > only if the plugins haven't been updated for 64 bit.

    > Of course. But if you are planning an upgrade, unless you have a need, then
    > you may as well wait for CS5. If you don't use the plugins then it is not an
    > issue.

    upgrading to cs4 now is silly since cs5 is due very soon. might as well
    wait another month or two (it's likely to be announced at photoshop
    world in a few weeks, but that's a guess).

    however, a year or so ago, there was no reason *not* to upgrade to cs4.

    nospam, Mar 6, 2010