Re: Editing: is better a HD with 8MB cache?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Jones, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. Jones

    Jones Guest

    >Well you didn't state what hard drive your OS is currently installed on
    >however if its a IDE (ATA) 100/166 2Mb cache (usually the standard) then

    I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA/133 fon my OS (win XP).
    Even if there is a very little difference,
    in your opinion is it better to get more cache in the second HD
    (without OS)?

    thanks

    Jones, Dec 25, 2004

  2. Jones

    JD Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:58:56 +0000, Jones wrote:

    >>Well you didn't state what hard drive your OS is currently installed on
    >>however if its a IDE (ATA) 100/166 2Mb cache (usually the standard) then

    > I have a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 ATA/133 fon my OS (win XP).
    > Even if there is a very little difference,
    > in your opinion is it better to get more cache in the second HD
    > (without OS)?
    >
    > thanks

    The buffering on the hard drive is used for caching commonly used files
    and providing a buffer for when the drive heads are moving so as not to
    interfere with reading / writing.

    when I'm buying hard drives I usually go for the 8Mb and 16Mb cache sizes
    they usually don't cost that much more especially when buying OEM.

    It defiantly wont hurt when doing video editing you might also want to
    make sure your second drive is a master on the second ATA (IDE) channel
    and the optical drive is the slave assuming you have one. I'd always put
    the least used device on the system as a slave.

    JD, Dec 25, 2004