Re: eBay sham - WARNING !

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jason O'Rourke, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. In article <beup5u$191k$>, maark <> wrote:
    >On eBay auction #2939545013 (didn´t exist now !) was offered a camera
    >FinePix S2 Pro (US$950.00). I payed US$ 950.00 via Western Union after our
    >agreement (Western Union Trackin number: 8786552590 sending on 11th July
    >2003) at below mentioned man and he has sent me a fictitious FedEx tracking
    >number!

    If you haven't heard it before, virtually all Ebay auctions specifying
    payment by Western Union are frauds. And especially those crossing intl
    borders, be it from the US to Russia, or just from the Czech Republic
    to Italy. And then if the price is half what it should be, the odds
    go from 99% to 100.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 14, 2003

  2. Jason O'Rourke

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Re: eBay sham - WARNING !
    >From: (Jason O'Rourke)
    >Date: 7/14/03 12:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >In article <beup5u$191k$>, maark <> wrote:
    >>On eBay auction #2939545013 (didn´t exist now !) was offered a camera
    >>FinePix S2 Pro (US$950.00). I payed US$ 950.00 via Western Union after our
    >>agreement (Western Union Trackin number: 8786552590 sending on 11th July
    >>2003) at below mentioned man and he has sent me a fictitious FedEx tracking
    >>number!

    >If you haven't heard it before, virtually all Ebay auctions specifying
    >payment by Western Union are frauds. And especially those crossing intl
    >borders, be it from the US to Russia, or just from the Czech Republic
    >to Italy. And then if the price is half what it should be, the odds
    >go from 99% to 100.
    >
    >--
    >Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com

    I've gotten many Western Union payments with no problem. I think the key is to
    check the feedbacks on the buyer.
    Arthur Kramer
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    ArtKramr, Jul 14, 2003

  3. Jason O'Rourke

    Matt Guest

    wrote:
    > >>On eBay auction #2939545013 (didn´t exist now !) was offered a camera
    > >>FinePix S2 Pro (US$950.00). I payed US$ 950.00 via Western Union after

    our
    > >>agreement (Western Union Trackin number: 8786552590 sending on 11th July
    > >>2003) at below mentioned man and he has sent me a fictitious FedEx

    tracking
    > >>number!

    > >If you haven't heard it before, virtually all Ebay auctions specifying
    > >payment by Western Union are frauds. And especially those crossing intl
    > >borders, be it from the US to Russia, or just from the Czech Republic
    > >to Italy. And then if the price is half what it should be, the odds
    > >go from 99% to 100.
    > >
    > >--
    > >Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    > >

    > I've gotten many Western Union payments with no problem. I think the key

    is to
    > check the feedbacks on the buyer.
    > Arthur Kramer
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    Yes, feedback is king. Hmm. His feedback looks OK! So whats the deal?
    Matt, Jul 14, 2003

  4. >
    > Yes, feedback is king. Hmm. His feedback looks OK! So whats the deal?

    There's a recent article about such scams. I read it in a waiting room and
    don't remember the magazine. But, it did point out that scammers use
    trivial auctions, buy their own items, use friends, etc. to produce phony
    feedback and inflate their ratings.
    Charles Schuler, Jul 14, 2003
  5. ArtKramr <> wrote:
    >I've gotten many Western Union payments with no problem. I think the key is to
    >check the feedbacks on the buyer.

    This is about the seller, not the buyer. You can always wait for the funds
    to clear before shipping the item anyway.

    Feedback is worthless for identifying these sort of scammers. They either
    fake it with phony auctions, or they just do a lot of honest $10 items
    before moving on to the $1000 ripoffs. Ebay does not have a way of viewing
    the size of the transactions, other than crudely viewing the recent ones.

    The combo is still an axiom - anyone offering a unbelievable deal but will
    only accept a western union wire transfer is about to rip you off.

    --
    Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    Jason O'Rourke, Jul 14, 2003
  6. "Jason O'Rourke" <> wrote in message
    > The combo is still an axiom - anyone offering a unbelievable deal but will
    > only accept a western union wire transfer is about to rip you off.

    That's right. Here's the equation:

    High value goods + Incredible price + Western union cash transfer = SCAM.

    It's not worth the risk for the 1% of honest transactions in the above group.

    --
    Andrew Davidson
    Andrew Davidson, Jul 14, 2003
  7. Jason O'Rourke

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 20:09:05 GMT, "Matt" <>
    found these unused words floating about:

    >"ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    >> >Subject: Re: eBay sham - WARNING !
    >> >From: (Jason O'Rourke)
    >> >Date: 7/14/03 12:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time

    >our

    >tracking
    >> >
    >> >If you haven't heard it before, virtually all Ebay auctions specifying
    >> >payment by Western Union are frauds. And especially those crossing intl
    >> >borders, be it from the US to Russia, or just from the Czech Republic
    >> >to Italy. And then if the price is half what it should be, the odds
    >> >go from 99% to 100.
    >> >
    >> >--
    >> >Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    >> >

    >> I've gotten many Western Union payments with no problem. I think the key

    >is to
    >> check the feedbacks on the buyer.
    >> Arthur Kramer
    >> Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >> http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    >>

    >Yes, feedback is king. Hmm. His feedback looks OK! So whats the deal?

    Since the originating poster couldn't find the auction page a second
    time, perhap he/she/it (or even the sender) mis-typed the Fed-Ex
    number?

    <always scream before checking>
    J. A. Mc., Jul 15, 2003
  8. Jason O'Rourke

    VH-MR2 Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message

    > I've gotten many Western Union payments with no problem. I think the key

    is to
    > check the feedbacks on the buyer.
    > Arthur Kramer
    > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    Be careful because what they do is hijack accounts of others ... the
    best thing to do is to eMail them and watch the story .. if they sound dodgy
    they probably are .. if the price seems to good to be true it probably is.

    What I do is send eMail to them asking them where they are...

    When they respond I reply saying "that's fantastic .. I have a friend who
    lives near there i'll get them to come and pick it up, they'll have money
    with them".

    If they won't accept that then it's time to stop dealing with them.

    The other thing is to use the escrow service .. anyone unwilling to use that
    type of service is not legitimate.
    VH-MR2, Jul 15, 2003
  9. Jason O'Rourke

    Patrick L. Guest

    Matt <> wrote in message

    > "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > > >Subject: Re: eBay sham - WARNING !
    > > >From: (Jason O'Rourke)
    > > >Date: 7/14/03 12:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time

    > our

    July

    > tracking
    > > >
    > > >If you haven't heard it before, virtually all Ebay auctions specifying
    > > >payment by Western Union are frauds. And especially those crossing

    intl
    > > >borders, be it from the US to Russia, or just from the Czech Republic
    > > >to Italy. And then if the price is half what it should be, the odds
    > > >go from 99% to 100.
    > > >
    > > >--
    > > >Jason O'Rourke www.jor.com
    > > >

    > > I've gotten many Western Union payments with no problem. I think the key

    > is to
    > > check the feedbacks on the buyer.
    > > Arthur Kramer
    > > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    > > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    > >

    > Yes, feedback is king. Hmm. His feedback looks OK! So whats the deal?

    Many of the auctions of the feedback items will still be up, did you check
    them? Are they all small, trivial items? 'Feedback inflation'.

    Patrick.
    Patrick L., Jul 15, 2003
  10. Jason O'Rourke

    Gea Jones Guest

    you mentioned the Escrow service,
    I just wanted to say that my son , who was defrauded of $50,000
    on ebay used what he thought was the escrow service,
    it was actually a a fake escrow website , put up by the crooks who stole his
    paintings,
    Ges Jones

    Gea Jones, Jul 15, 2003
  11. Jason O'Rourke

    J. A. Mc. Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 08:03:22 GMT, "Patrick L."
    <> found these unused words floating about:

    >Matt <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message

    >> our

    >July

    >> tracking

    >intl

    >> > I've gotten many Western Union payments with no problem. I think the key

    >> is to
    >> > check the feedbacks on the buyer.
    >> > Arthur Kramer
    >> > Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    >> > http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer
    >> >

    >> Yes, feedback is king. Hmm. His feedback looks OK! So whats the deal?

    >Many of the auctions of the feedback items will still be up, did you check
    >them? Are they all small, trivial items? 'Feedback inflation'.

    One should also check the feedbacks of the feedback posters ... see if
    they've dealt with many others who are -definitely- legit. OTW you've
    got shilling feedback.
    J. A. Mc., Jul 15, 2003
  12. "Charles Schuler" <> writes:

    >There's a recent article about such scams. I read it in a waiting room and
    >don't remember the magazine. But, it did point out that scammers use
    >trivial auctions, buy their own items, use friends, etc. to produce phony
    >feedback and inflate their ratings.

    There are also people who hijack ebay accounts that have good feedback
    to use in selling expensive merchandise that will never be delivered.
    This sometimes starts with the "verify you ebay account details" spam
    email. If you fall for it and give the perpetrator your ebay password,
    they take over your account.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Jul 15, 2003