Re: Ebay getting crochety in its old age..

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by tony cooper, Jul 30, 2011.

  1. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:49:51 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >I got a message from them saying I had a listing violation. It was for a
    >lens and I didn't "use their catalog description." I never knew you now
    >have to use their mfg's boilerplate to sell! Anyway, of course the lens,
    >from the 1970's, which was not in their catalog so I told them to get lost
    >and come back when they find the lens in their catalog, which they won't.
    >Apparently, if you don't use their catalog listings, they can remove the
    >listing!

    All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
    boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
    specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
    compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
    any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
    Even you could figure it out.

    Here's an example for a 1972 lens:

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-PC-Nikkor...81902734?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item20bb55998e

    In addition to the Item Specifics you can add whatever text and
    illustrations/photos you want to add. The bold face text has been
    added by the seller and is not part of the eBay requirement.

    It's not a bad thing. For example, under "Condition", you must state
    that it is new, refurbished, used, or for parts. Previously, you
    weren't required to specify and bidders could be misled. Refurbished
    items could be represented as new.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 30, 2011

  2. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/30/2011 10:09 PM, Rich wrote:
    > tony cooper<> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:49:51 -0500, Rich<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I got a message from them saying I had a listing violation. It was
    >>> for a lens and I didn't "use their catalog description." I never knew
    >>> you now have to use their mfg's boilerplate to sell! Anyway, of
    >>> course the lens, from the 1970's, which was not in their catalog so I
    >>> told them to get lost and come back when they find the lens in their
    >>> catalog, which they won't. Apparently, if you don't use their catalog
    >>> listings, they can remove the listing!

    >> All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
    >> boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
    >> specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
    >> compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
    >> any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
    >> Even you could figure it out.
    >>
    >> Here's an example for a 1972 lens:
    >>

    > Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.

    Somehow, I believe you. You did it oddly.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 31, 2011

  3. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich <> wrote:

    >tony cooper <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:49:51 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I got a message from them saying I had a listing violation. It was
    >>>for a lens and I didn't "use their catalog description." I never knew
    >>>you now have to use their mfg's boilerplate to sell! Anyway, of
    >>>course the lens, from the 1970's, which was not in their catalog so I
    >>>told them to get lost and come back when they find the lens in their
    >>>catalog, which they won't. Apparently, if you don't use their catalog
    >>>listings, they can remove the listing!

    >> All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
    >> boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
    >> specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
    >> compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
    >> any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
    >> Even you could figure it out.
    >>
    >> Here's an example for a 1972 lens:
    >>

    >Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.

    If you did that, and did it correctly, it's then obvious that they
    banned you because they didn't like you. eBay has a little-known
    in-house policy that they ban one person each day for no good reason
    just because they can. It was your day in the barrel.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 31, 2011
  4. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/30/2011 10:48 PM, tony cooper wrote:
    > On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich<> wrote:
    >
    >> tony cooper<> wrote in

    >>> All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
    >>> boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
    >>> specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
    >>> compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
    >>> any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
    >>> Even you could figure it out.
    >>>
    >>> Here's an example for a 1972 lens:
    >>>

    >> Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.
    >>>

    > If you did that, and did it correctly, it's then obvious that they
    > banned you because they didn't like you. eBay has a little-known
    > in-house policy that they ban one person each day for no good reason
    > just because they can. It was your day in the barrel.

    LOL

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 31, 2011
  5. tony cooper

    John A. Guest

    On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:48:09 -0400, tony cooper
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >
    >>tony cooper <> wrote in

    >>> All you have to do is add the item to the catalog. It isn't
    >>> boilerplate. What they are requiring are just the "Item
    >>> specifics"...condition, camera type, brand, maximum aperture,
    >>> compatible brand, type, focus type, and camera technology. Look at
    >>> any lens ad and you will see that it's simple to plug in the info.
    >>> Even you could figure it out.
    >>>
    >>> Here's an example for a 1972 lens:
    >>>

    >>Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.
    >>>

    >If you did that, and did it correctly, it's then obvious that they
    >banned you because they didn't like you. eBay has a little-known
    >in-house policy that they ban one person each day for no good reason
    >just because they can. It was your day in the barrel.

    Hmmm... considering how many people are on eBay, along with the
    inevitability of human error, I wonder how many are banned per day for
    no good reason, just by random chance.
    John A., Jul 31, 2011
  6. tony cooper

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 01:00:58 -0400, John A. <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:48:09 -0400, tony cooper
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>tony cooper <> wrote in

    >>>Oddly enough I did add all that stuff. Filled all the blanks.
    >>>>

    >>If you did that, and did it correctly, it's then obvious that they
    >>banned you because they didn't like you. eBay has a little-known
    >>in-house policy that they ban one person each day for no good reason
    >>just because they can. It was your day in the barrel.

    >Hmmm... considering how many people are on eBay, along with the
    >inevitability of human error, I wonder how many are banned per day for
    >no good reason, just by random chance.

    Doesn't make any difference as long as they give RichA a hard time.
    RichA is the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    tony cooper, Jul 31, 2011
  7. tony cooper

    Bob Dobbs Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    >the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.

    If that's the Vancouver pig farmer, as I recall,
    I thought he had done a mortality check,
    if not, then it's about time...
    --

    http://bit.ly/g2PCII
    Bob Dobbs, Jul 31, 2011
  8. tony cooper

    Mike Guest

    On 31/07/2011 1:34 AM, tony cooper wrote:

    > Doesn't make any difference as long as they give RichA a hard time.
    > RichA is the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.

    Colin Thatcher
    Conrad Black
    Hal Banks
    Brian Mulroney
    Alan Eagleson
    Paul Bernado
    Karla Homolka
    Robert Pickton
    Clifford Olsen
    ---
    Rich Anderson
    Mike, Aug 3, 2011
  9. tony cooper

    PeterN Guest

    On 8/3/2011 12:12 AM, Rich wrote:
    > tony cooper<> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 01:00:58 -0400, John A.<>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Hmmm... considering how many people are on eBay, along with the
    >>> inevitability of human error, I wonder how many are banned per day for
    >>> no good reason, just by random chance.

    >> Doesn't make any difference as long as they give RichA a hard time.
    >> RichA is the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.
    >>

    > Liberals like you would blame society for Picton.with your lack of popularity?

    And that has what to do with your lack of popularity. Besides your
    statement is hysterical, considering your communistic postings.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Aug 3, 2011
  10. tony cooper

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 08:16:54 -0400, PeterN <>
    wrote:
    : On 8/3/2011 12:12 AM, Rich wrote:
    : > tony cooper<> wrote in
    : > news::
    : >
    : >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 01:00:58 -0400, John A.<>
    : >> wrote:
    : >>
    : >>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 22:48:09 -0400, tony cooper
    : >>> <> wrote:
    : >>>
    : >>>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2011 21:09:47 -0500, Rich<> wrote:
    : >>>>
    : >>>>> tony cooper<> wrote in
    : >>>>> news::
    : >>>>>
    : >>>>>> On Fri, 29 Jul 2011 20:49:51 -0500, Rich<> wrote:
    : >>>>>>
    : >>>>>>> I got a message from them saying I had a listing violation. It
    : >>>>>>> was for a lens and I didn't "use their catalog description." I
    : >>>>>>> never knew you now have to use their mfg's boilerplate to sell!
    : >>>>>>> Anyway, of course the lens, from the 1970's, which was not in
    : >>>>>>> their catalog so I told them to get lost and come back when they
    : >>>>>>> find the lens in their catalog, which they won't. Apparently, if
    : >>>>>>> you don't use their catalog listings, they can remove the listing!
    : >>>>>>>
    : >>>>>>
    :
    : And that has what to do with your lack of popularity. Besides your
    : statement is hysterical, considering your communistic postings.

    Rich wouldn't know a communist from a cubist.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Aug 4, 2011
  11. tony cooper

    John Turco Guest

    tony cooper wrote:

    <edited for brevity>

    > In addition to the Item Specifics you can add whatever text and
    > illustrations/photos you want to add. The bold face text has been
    > added by the seller and is not part of the eBay requirement.
    >
    > It's not a bad thing. For example, under "Condition", you must state
    > that it is new, refurbished, used, or for parts. Previously, you
    > weren't required to specify and bidders could be misled. Refurbished
    > items could be represented as new.
    >
    > In addition to the Item Specifics you can add whatever text and
    > illustrations/photos you want to add.

    But, you repeat yourself. (A copy-and-paste move gone awry, I take
    it?)

    --
    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Aug 6, 2011
  12. tony cooper

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Rich <> wrote:
    >tony cooper <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 01:00:58 -0400, John A. <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Hmmm... considering how many people are on eBay, along with the
    >>>inevitability of human error, I wonder how many are banned per day for
    >>>no good reason, just by random chance.

    >> Doesn't make any difference as long as they give RichA a hard time.
    >> RichA is the only Canadian less popular than Robert Pickton.

    >Liberals like you would blame society for Picton.

    Fascists like you hate lie about liberals.

    Ray Fischer, Aug 7, 2011