    <> wrote in message
    news:50ba4599$0$27339$...
    > Easy mode :D
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 1, 2012

  2. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:
    > What's the matter with you?
    >

    > <> wrote in message
    > news:50ba4599$0$27339$...
    >> Easy mode :D

    1) Some USENET servers are filtering those.
    E-S and AIOE are filtering off those posts.
    I know they're happening, because the post count
    on alt.computer goes up, but there are no new
    posts. So I know there is currently a flood
    under way (at one posting every five minutes).

    2) Use a filter in your USENET client. Block
    all posts from "@kpnmail.nl" and you're done.
    I have that filter installed too, just in case.

    The flood is automated or scripted, so nobody
    is reading your reply.

    When really big floods are involved, eventually
    the admins come up with a plan. This guy is a
    "small fry". So just use the filter in your client.

    The reason the flood doesn't run at a higher rate,
    is the flooder doesn't want to trigger any
    "hammering protection" installed on the source server.
    On most servers, if you tried to send a thousand
    posts per second, hammering protection would get
    triggered. The five minute delay between posts,
    is intended to avoid filtering at the source.

    All sorts of things happen to USENET servers, that
    you never hear about. Such as DDOS attacks, where
    the server is pounded by repetitive garbage packets.
    The admins do a lot of work behind the scenes, that
    you never have to deal with.

    HTH,
    Paul
    Paul, Dec 1, 2012

  3. "Paul" <> wrote in message
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >> What's the matter with you?
    >>

    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> Easy mode :D

    > 1) Some USENET servers are filtering those.
    > E-S and AIOE are filtering off those posts.
    > I know they're happening, because the post count
    > on alt.computer goes up, but there are no new
    > posts. So I know there is currently a flood
    > under way (at one posting every five minutes).
    >
    > 2) Use a filter in your USENET client. Block
    > all posts from "@kpnmail.nl" and you're done.
    > I have that filter installed too, just in case.
    >
    > The flood is automated or scripted, so nobody
    > is reading your reply.
    >
    > When really big floods are involved, eventually
    > the admins come up with a plan. This guy is a
    > "small fry". So just use the filter in your client.
    >
    > The reason the flood doesn't run at a higher rate,
    > is the flooder doesn't want to trigger any
    > "hammering protection" installed on the source server.
    > On most servers, if you tried to send a thousand
    > posts per second, hammering protection would get
    > triggered. The five minute delay between posts,
    > is intended to avoid filtering at the source.
    >
    > All sorts of things happen to USENET servers, that
    > you never hear about. Such as DDOS attacks, where
    > the server is pounded by repetitive garbage packets.
    > The admins do a lot of work behind the scenes, that
    > you never have to deal with.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Paul

    Two posters that each post every ten minutes, on alternating intervals.

    What's the point?
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 1, 2012
  4. Jeff Strickland

    Paul Guest

    Jeff Strickland wrote:

    > "Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >>> What's the matter with you?
    >>>

    >>> <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> 1) Some USENET servers are filtering those.
    >> E-S and AIOE are filtering off those posts.
    >> I know they're happening, because the post count
    >> on alt.computer goes up, but there are no new
    >> posts. So I know there is currently a flood
    >> under way (at one posting every five minutes).
    >>
    >> 2) Use a filter in your USENET client. Block
    >> all posts from "@kpnmail.nl" and you're done.
    >> I have that filter installed too, just in case.
    >>
    >> The flood is automated or scripted, so nobody
    >> is reading your reply.
    >>
    >> When really big floods are involved, eventually
    >> the admins come up with a plan. This guy is a
    >> "small fry". So just use the filter in your client.
    >>
    >> The reason the flood doesn't run at a higher rate,
    >> is the flooder doesn't want to trigger any
    >> "hammering protection" installed on the source server.
    >> On most servers, if you tried to send a thousand
    >> posts per second, hammering protection would get
    >> triggered. The five minute delay between posts,
    >> is intended to avoid filtering at the source.
    >>
    >> All sorts of things happen to USENET servers, that
    >> you never hear about. Such as DDOS attacks, where
    >> the server is pounded by repetitive garbage packets.
    >> The admins do a lot of work behind the scenes, that
    >> you never have to deal with.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >> Paul

    > Two posters that each post every ten minutes, on alternating intervals.
    >
    > What's the point?

    It's a flood. It doesn't have a point.

    Maybe someone thinks they're "getting even" with the ISP.

    Whatever it is, it isn't meant to make sense.

    There's no point even guessing.

    Paul
    Paul, Dec 1, 2012