Re: Earthlink and Mozilla newsgroups

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by c0smic, Oct 4, 2003.

  1. c0smic

    c0smic Guest

    murple wrote:
    > Recently I've been having problems with Mozilla and newsgroups.
    > I keep having to re-enter my name and password. I can be browing
    > newsgroups and in the middle of downloading a message and all of
    > a sudden the name and password boxes appear. I can have downloaded
    > message headers and viewed the text of 38 messages and out of
    > nowhere it decides I need to re-enter my password info.
    >
    > I'm suspicious that Earthlink changed something in their configurations.
    > Recently they changed my news server from news.mindspring.com to
    > news.east.earthlink.net but even before that I was having this
    > problem with the name and password windows appearing in the
    > middle of my browsing.
    >
    > I've tried updating from Mozilla 1.0.2 to Mozilla 1.4, but that
    > doesn't seem to have solved the problem. It's an ongoing problem.
    > I've had it for weeks now. But I didn't have it back when I used
    > Mozilla 1.0.1 and when I first updated to Mozilla 1.0.2 I didn't
    > have it then. I think Earthlink is to blame, though they won't
    > admit it.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem and, more important, is there
    > a way to solve it. It's sort of a nuisance to have to enter my
    > password info 3 separate times while I'm browsing newsgroups.

    I'm browing this newsgroup for an answer to the same problem. I just
    installed Mozilla 1.4 yesterday as a replacment for Netscape 4.8. I
    loved Netscape for reading text newsgroups, but got tired of it not
    opening some web links. I use Earthlink, but I don't think it's
    Earthlinks fault. Outlook Express and Forte Agent seem to remember the
    user name and password just fine.

    c0smic, Oct 4, 2003

  2. c0smic wrote:
    > murple wrote:
    >
    >> Recently I've been having problems with Mozilla and newsgroups.
    >> I keep having to re-enter my name and password. I can be browing
    >> newsgroups and in the middle of downloading a message and all of
    >> a sudden the name and password boxes appear. I can have downloaded
    >> message headers and viewed the text of 38 messages and out of
    >> nowhere it decides I need to re-enter my password info.
    >>
    >> I'm suspicious that Earthlink changed something in their configurations.
    >> Recently they changed my news server from news.mindspring.com to
    >> news.east.earthlink.net but even before that I was having this
    >> problem with the name and password windows appearing in the
    >> middle of my browsing.
    >>
    >> I've tried updating from Mozilla 1.0.2 to Mozilla 1.4, but that
    >> doesn't seem to have solved the problem. It's an ongoing problem.
    >> I've had it for weeks now. But I didn't have it back when I used
    >> Mozilla 1.0.1 and when I first updated to Mozilla 1.0.2 I didn't
    >> have it then. I think Earthlink is to blame, though they won't
    >> admit it.
    >>
    >> Has anyone else had this problem and, more important, is there
    >> a way to solve it. It's sort of a nuisance to have to enter my
    >> password info 3 separate times while I'm browsing newsgroups.
    >>

    > I'm browing this newsgroup for an answer to the same problem. I just
    > installed Mozilla 1.4 yesterday as a replacment for Netscape 4.8. I
    > loved Netscape for reading text newsgroups, but got tired of it not
    > opening some web links. I use Earthlink, but I don't think it's
    > Earthlinks fault. Outlook Express and Forte Agent seem to remember the
    > user name and password just fine.

    I know this is a pain, and its a longstanding problem. However, I can
    attest that if you just keep inputting your username and password, and
    saving it in Password Manager, it will go away. Takes a couple of weeks
    before Moz sets the username/password combination for all the possible
    enrty points.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 5, 2003

  3. c0smic

    c0smic Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > c0smic wrote:
    >
    >> murple wrote:
    >>
    >>> Recently I've been having problems with Mozilla and newsgroups.
    >>> I keep having to re-enter my name and password. I can be browing
    >>> newsgroups and in the middle of downloading a message and all of
    >>> a sudden the name and password boxes appear. I can have downloaded
    >>> message headers and viewed the text of 38 messages and out of
    >>> nowhere it decides I need to re-enter my password info.
    >>>
    >>> I'm suspicious that Earthlink changed something in their configurations.
    >>> Recently they changed my news server from news.mindspring.com to
    >>> news.east.earthlink.net but even before that I was having this
    >>> problem with the name and password windows appearing in the
    >>> middle of my browsing.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried updating from Mozilla 1.0.2 to Mozilla 1.4, but that
    >>> doesn't seem to have solved the problem. It's an ongoing problem.
    >>> I've had it for weeks now. But I didn't have it back when I used
    >>> Mozilla 1.0.1 and when I first updated to Mozilla 1.0.2 I didn't
    >>> have it then. I think Earthlink is to blame, though they won't
    >>> admit it.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else had this problem and, more important, is there
    >>> a way to solve it. It's sort of a nuisance to have to enter my
    >>> password info 3 separate times while I'm browsing newsgroups.
    >>>

    >> I'm browing this newsgroup for an answer to the same problem. I just
    >> installed Mozilla 1.4 yesterday as a replacment for Netscape 4.8. I
    >> loved Netscape for reading text newsgroups, but got tired of it not
    >> opening some web links. I use Earthlink, but I don't think it's
    >> Earthlinks fault. Outlook Express and Forte Agent seem to remember the
    >> user name and password just fine.
    >>

    > I know this is a pain, and its a longstanding problem. However, I can
    > attest that if you just keep inputting your username and password, and
    > saving it in Password Manager, it will go away. Takes a couple of weeks
    > before Moz sets the username/password combination for all the possible
    > enrty points.
    >
    > Lee

    It is getting better now. I have not had to enter a password so far
    today. I can see many entries in the Password Manager.

    c0smic, Oct 5, 2003