Re: E6400: Can it work with GT701-WG?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2009.

  1. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sarah Austin wrote:

    > Our setup here is pretty basic. We have 2 PC's in different rooms of

    the
    > house, both wired to a Actiontec GT701-WG with ethernet cables.

    > This unit only has 2 ports though, so we cant plug the laptop in, BUT

    it
    > has an antenna on top.

    You should go to the Actiontec site so that you can find your model so
    that you can communicate with us here.

    http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=71 54Mbps
    Wireless DSL Gateway
    GT701WG/GT701WGA User Manual - GT701-WG NCS 3.0.1.0.6.0 This is the
    User Manual for version 3.0.1.0.6.0 of the NCS (Non-Customer Specific)
    firmware used on our Retail GT701-WG, a 54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway
    http://snipurl.com/qpxup (.pdf manual)

    Interestingly, the actiontec site sez that you need a router with this
    model, but you actually don't, because the gateway is doing enough for
    you. I bought a 5 port ethernet switch the other day on sale for $10
    which would also work to 'boost' the connectivity of this gateway.

    In the manual I see the rear panel of the gateway contains 7 ports,
    line, phone, usb, ethernet and power. If you have two computers
    accessing, one must be accessing via the USB and one via the ethernet.
    With a computer that is accessing the gateway go to http://192.168.0.1
    and access the gateway's setup/config wireless settings.

    You will see that the gateway's default name is ACTIONTEC - most would
    recommend that you change that to your own choice, but the name doesn't
    provide any security. Your security settings include WEP & WPA. WPA is
    better if the E6400 will do it, which I haven't checked yet. That
    configuration information is on page 55 of the manual. Setup the
    wireless security, which should have been done when you brought it into
    the house or else you have been providing wireless access for anyone
    within range.

    > Got a refurbed Dell E6400.

    http://snipr.com/qpz8o Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop Product Details

    The e6400 handles the WPA and it might see the ACTIONTEC out of the box.
    Configure it for your WPA PSK security.

    > Can I use that to get into our network easily, without buying anything
    > else, or using an ethernet cable?

    Yes. Use the existing connection to configure the actiontec gateway.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2009

  2. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > In the manual I see the rear panel of the gateway contains 7 ports,
    > line, phone, usb, ethernet and power. If you have two computers
    > accessing, one must be accessing via the USB and one via the ethernet.

    The /manual/ sez 7 ports. The sketchy pic in the manual shows 1 each
    line, phone. usb, ethernet, reset hole, power, and wifi antenna, if
    anyone is counting so-called ports for the actiontec manual writers and
    illustrationists.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2009

  3. Mike Easter

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > User Manual for version 3.0.1.0.6.0 of the NCS (Non-Customer Specific)
    > firmware used on our Retail GT701-WG, a 54 Mbps Wireless DSL Gateway
    > http://snipurl.com/qpxup (.pdf manual)

    > With a computer that is accessing the gateway go to http://192.168.0.1
    > and access the gateway's setup/config wireless settings.

    > Use the existing connection to configure the actiontec gateway.

    Starting on p 69 the Actiontec gateway's manual Chap 7 walks you thu'
    Setting Up a Network using the Window's software and the Installation
    Buddy. The first parts are that which you already have established, DSL
    connectivity + 1 ethernet & 1 USB, until you get to additional computers
    which then refers you back to the networking part p.55 referenced
    earlier.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2009