Re: E6 processing

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by J?rg Preddimann, Jul 12, 2004.

  1. "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message news:<40ebcab0$>...
    > I want to start shooting slides again, but the thing that is holding me back
    > is that I can't find anyone who can process it. I live in Toowoomba, QLD -
    > a city of 100,000 and have tried all the labs I'm aware of, and none of them
    > do it. Some of the mini-lab type places gave me a dumb look when I asked
    > about E6, when I said "slides" they uhmmed and aahhhed then said no. I
    > tried a couple of the more "pro" type labs and they also don't do it. They
    > did offer to send it away to get done - heck if it's going to get sent to
    > someone I'll send it there myself, that way there is no middle man adding
    > his profit margin on top. So far the best I've been quoted is $15/roll for
    > 5 or more rolls - the sales drone couldn't tell me if that included mounting
    > or not - I wanted a price for process only.
    > So... does anyone know of anywhere in Toowoomba QLD (preferably), or in
    > Brisbane who processes E6?
    > Alternatively, how hard is it to process E6 yourself, and can anyone advise
    > who sells the appropriate chemicals mail-order. I am comfortable with B&W
    > processing - is any extra equipment required to do E6? From what I can
    > gather the steps are pretty straightforward, but are a lot more temperature
    > critical than B&W - would that be a fair assumption?

    The reason you are having difficulty having your slides processed is
    because digital has come into its own. A good digital SLR like the
    Sigma SD10 will give you much more detail and better image quality
    than any E6 slide film up to 8X10 LF. The Sigma SD10 uses the Foveon
    sensor, which records pixels in 3 layers like non-fuji film, and gives
    you the best dynamic range available. The time to switch to digital is
    NOW and it is best if you start with Sigma.

    --

    Jörg Preddimann
    J?rg Preddimann, Jul 12, 2004

  2. J?rg Preddimann

    Crownfield Guest

    J?rg Preddimann wrote:

    > "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message news:<40ebcab0$>...
    > > I want to start shooting slides again, but the thing that is holding me back
    > > is that I can't find anyone who can process it. I live in Toowoomba, QLD -
    > > a city of 100,000 and have tried all the labs I'm aware of, and none of them
    > > do it. Some of the mini-lab type places gave me a dumb look when I asked
    > > about E6, when I said "slides" they uhmmed and aahhhed then said no. I
    > > tried a couple of the more "pro" type labs and they also don't do it. They
    > > did offer to send it away to get done - heck if it's going to get sent to
    > > someone I'll send it there myself, that way there is no middle man adding
    > > his profit margin on top. So far the best I've been quoted is $15/roll for
    > > 5 or more rolls - the sales drone couldn't tell me if that included mounting
    > > or not - I wanted a price for process only.
    > > So... does anyone know of anywhere in Toowoomba QLD (preferably), or in
    > > Brisbane who processes E6?
    > > Alternatively, how hard is it to process E6 yourself, and can anyone advise
    > > who sells the appropriate chemicals mail-order. I am comfortable with B&W
    > > processing - is any extra equipment required to do E6? From what I can
    > > gather the steps are pretty straightforward, but are a lot more temperature
    > > critical than B&W - would that be a fair assumption?

    > The reason you are having difficulty having your slides processed is
    > because digital has come into its own. A good digital SLR like the
    > Sigma SD10 will give you much more detail and better image quality
    > than any E6 slide film up to 8X10 LF. The Sigma SD10 uses the Foveon
    > sensor, which records pixels in 3 layers like non-fuji film, and gives
    > you the best dynamic range available. The time to switch to digital is
    > NOW and it is best if you start with Sigma.

    think of it as a growing up camera-
    when you learn more about cameras,
    you can get a real camera, with choices.
    til then, the sigma with no choices
    will help you to learn what you really should have gotten,
    what you are missing.

    Crownfield, Jul 12, 2004

  3. > "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message news:<40ebcab0$>...

    >>I want to start shooting slides again, but the thing that is holding me back
    >>is that I can't find anyone who can process it. I live in Toowoomba, QLD -
    >>a city of 100,000 and have tried all the labs I'm aware of, and none of them
    >>do it. Some of the mini-lab type places gave me a dumb look when I asked
    >>about E6, when I said "slides" they uhmmed and aahhhed then said no. I
    >>tried a couple of the more "pro" type labs and they also don't do it. They
    >>did offer to send it away to get done - heck if it's going to get sent to
    >>someone I'll send it there myself, that way there is no middle man adding
    >>his profit margin on top. So far the best I've been quoted is $15/roll for
    >>5 or more rolls - the sales drone couldn't tell me if that included mounting
    >>or not - I wanted a price for process only.
    >>So... does anyone know of anywhere in Toowoomba QLD (preferably), or in
    >>Brisbane who processes E6?
    >>Alternatively, how hard is it to process E6 yourself, and can anyone advise
    >>who sells the appropriate chemicals mail-order. I am comfortable with B&W
    >>processing - is any extra equipment required to do E6? From what I can
    >>gather the steps are pretty straightforward, but are a lot more temperature
    >>critical than B&W - would that be a fair assumption?

    I can't help you with sources of developing or chemicals in
    Australia, but I have developed my own slides and it isn't that
    hard to do.

    The only special equipment required for slide development beyond
    what is required for black and white development is a
    thermometer that read up to 110 F.

    The main thing is to keep the temperature of all of your
    chemicals and your wash water the same and relatively constant.
    The easiest way to do this is to fill a dish pan with warm
    water (around 110 F works for me) put your chemical bottles and
    wash water (in pitchers for easy pouring) in the dish pan and
    then go and load your film into your daylight tank. Put the
    daylight tank in the dishpan so that it will warm up and wait.
    As soon as the water temperature drops to the maximum for the
    brand of chemicals you are using start developing.

    My experience is that the temperature of the first developer is
    what is critical and that as long as there is not a significant
    difference in temperature between the fluids used in successive
    steps it works. Incidentally the chemicals I use call for a
    maximum temperature of 104 F and by the time I finish up the
    water in the dishpan is still very close to 100 F.

    HTH

    Jerry
    jerry gitomer, Jul 12, 2004
  4. J?rg Preddimann

    bagal Guest

    hee hee yeh

    like 100% true image data = 33% sampled data + 67% estimated data + errors

    das B

    bagal, Jul 12, 2004
  5. (J?rg Preddimann) wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message news:<40ebcab0$>...
    > > I want to start shooting slides again, but the thing that is holding me back
    > > is that I can't find anyone who can process it. I live in Toowoomba, QLD -
    > > a city of 100,000 and have tried all the labs I'm aware of, and none of them
    > > do it. Some of the mini-lab type places gave me a dumb look when I asked
    > > about E6, when I said "slides" they uhmmed and aahhhed then said no. I
    > > tried a couple of the more "pro" type labs and they also don't do it. They
    > > did offer to send it away to get done - heck if it's going to get sent to
    > > someone I'll send it there myself, that way there is no middle man adding
    > > his profit margin on top. So far the best I've been quoted is $15/roll for
    > > 5 or more rolls - the sales drone couldn't tell me if that included mounting
    > > or not - I wanted a price for process only.
    > > So... does anyone know of anywhere in Toowoomba QLD (preferably), or in
    > > Brisbane who processes E6?
    > > Alternatively, how hard is it to process E6 yourself, and can anyone advise
    > > who sells the appropriate chemicals mail-order. I am comfortable with B&W
    > > processing - is any extra equipment required to do E6? From what I can
    > > gather the steps are pretty straightforward, but are a lot more temperature
    > > critical than B&W - would that be a fair assumption?

    > The reason you are having difficulty having your slides processed is
    > because digital has come into its own. A good digital SLR like the
    > Sigma SD10 will give you much more detail and better image quality
    > than any E6 slide film up to 8X10 LF.

    You're so full of shit it's coming out of your pores....

    Michael Scarpitti, Jul 12, 2004
  6. J?rg Preddimann

    Guest

    I'm in complete agreement with this fellow. Digital is the future, so you better start selling off your MF
    gear quick - while you can. The most obsolete junk you should dump immediately is Hassy gear, Mamiya gear,
    Pentax gear and Bronica gear. Also please dump all of your Polaroid 600SEs and all of the lenses of course,
    since you won't be needing them. I recommend eBay for all of this dumping with low starting bids and of
    course no reserve of any kind. The best prices your going to get for this stuff is now, so you better start
    dumping before you can't buy 120 sized film anymore.

    J?rg Preddimann wrote:

    > "Justin Thyme" <> wrote in message news:<40ebcab0$>...
    > > I want to start shooting slides again, but the thing that is holding me back
    > > is that I can't find anyone who can process it. I live in Toowoomba, QLD -
    > > a city of 100,000 and have tried all the labs I'm aware of, and none of them
    > > do it. Some of the mini-lab type places gave me a dumb look when I asked
    > > about E6, when I said "slides" they uhmmed and aahhhed then said no. I
    > > tried a couple of the more "pro" type labs and they also don't do it. They
    > > did offer to send it away to get done - heck if it's going to get sent to
    > > someone I'll send it there myself, that way there is no middle man adding
    > > his profit margin on top. So far the best I've been quoted is $15/roll for
    > > 5 or more rolls - the sales drone couldn't tell me if that included mounting
    > > or not - I wanted a price for process only.
    > > So... does anyone know of anywhere in Toowoomba QLD (preferably), or in
    > > Brisbane who processes E6?
    > > Alternatively, how hard is it to process E6 yourself, and can anyone advise
    > > who sells the appropriate chemicals mail-order. I am comfortable with B&W
    > > processing - is any extra equipment required to do E6? From what I can
    > > gather the steps are pretty straightforward, but are a lot more temperature
    > > critical than B&W - would that be a fair assumption?

    > The reason you are having difficulty having your slides processed is
    > because digital has come into its own. A good digital SLR like the
    > Sigma SD10 will give you much more detail and better image quality
    > than any E6 slide film up to 8X10 LF. The Sigma SD10 uses the Foveon
    > sensor, which records pixels in 3 layers like non-fuji film, and gives
    > you the best dynamic range available. The time to switch to digital is
    > NOW and it is best if you start with Sigma.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Jörg Preddimann
    , Jul 13, 2004
  7. wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm in complete agreement with this fellow. Digital is the future, so you better start selling off your MF
    > gear quick - while you can. The most obsolete junk you should dump immediately is Hassy gear, Mamiya gear,
    > Pentax gear and Bronica gear. Also please dump all of your Polaroid 600SEs and all of the lenses of course,
    > since you won't be needing them. I recommend eBay for all of this dumping with low starting bids and of
    > course no reserve of any kind. The best prices your going to get for this stuff is now, so you better start
    > dumping before you can't buy 120 sized film anymore.

    Good joke, ha!
    Michael Scarpitti, Jul 13, 2004