Re: DVD Shrink causing jerky video in PowerDVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by BigJIm, Apr 2, 2005.

  1. BigJIm

    BigJIm Guest

    jerky video is usually caused by a bad burn or the dma is not set for the
    dvd player.

    BigJIm, Apr 2, 2005

  2. BigJIm

    Pon Guest

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:20:13 -0500, "BigJIm" <>
    wrote:

    >jerky video is usually caused by a bad burn or the dma is not set for the
    >dvd player.
    >
    >"J Belly" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I'm hoping someone can help me...been pulling out my hair trying to
    >> figure this one out:
    >>
    >> I was using Shrink v3.1.7 without any problems, and then decided to
    >> upgrade to v3.2.0.15. Ever since then, a few of the dvd's I've played
    >> in Cyberlink PowerDVD (v5) show slightly jerky video -- and the really
    >> odd thing is it always happens in the same exact points in the last
    >> few chapters or so. (The beginning and middle chapters are fine.)
    >>
    >> Also, even though this problem occurs when I'm playing the dvd
    >> straight from my player (before I even run it through Shrink), I'm
    >> convinced that the new version of Shrink must somehow be involved
    >> because the upgrade was the only change I had made to my system. (I
    >> had never had this problem with previous versions of Shrink in the
    >> past.)
    >>
    >> I've ascertained that it's not a hardware problem, as I've also tried
    >> playback in my 2nd drive (and it still shows the same jerky video in
    >> the same chapters). It's also not a disc surface problem because it's
    >> been happening in other dvd's, as well.
    >>
    >> And, again, this all started occuring after I upgraded to Shrink
    >> 3.2.0.15 -- I'm convinced that maybe Shrink installed some file that's
    >> screwing up my comp's video output.
    >>
    >> I've already tried going back to the previous version (3.1.7.6) and
    >> that didn't fix it. I also tried XP's System Restore and that didn't
    >> work either. (However, I don't think SP can always change every file
    >> back to a previous state).
    >>
    >> Anyone experience a similar problem or have any suggestions I can try?
    >> I've already googled like crazy trying to find an answer, and nothing.
    >> I'm really hoping someone here can shed some light.
    >>
    >> Thanks a lot!

    I had occasional similar experiences with PowerDVD when I had
    DVDIdlePro on my system. So - I might suggest a test whereby you
    remove any such protection defeat mechanisms you may have - DVD43 etc
    - and see what happens to the jerky playback then .....

    Good luck .......

    Pon, Apr 2, 2005

  3. BigJIm

    J Belly Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:21:38 +1200, Pon <> wrote:

    ><snip>
    >
    >I had occasional similar experiences with PowerDVD when I had
    >DVDIdlePro on my system. So - I might suggest a test whereby you
    >remove any such protection defeat mechanisms you may have - DVD43 etc
    >- and see what happens to the jerky playback then .....
    >
    >Good luck .......

    Thanks for your reply. Could you please explain how to *remove
    protection defeat mechanisms*? (What's DVD43?)

    J Belly, Apr 2, 2005
  4. BigJIm

    J Belly Guest

    wrote:

    >jerky video is usually caused by a bad burn or the dma is not set for the
    >dvd player.

    I checked the settings for the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels and
    the transfer mode is set to "DMA if available" for both.

    J Belly, Apr 2, 2005
  5. BigJIm

    Joe S Guest

    J Belly wrote:
    > On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:20:13 -0500, "BigJIm" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>jerky video is usually caused by a bad burn or the dma is not set for the
    >>dvd player.

    > I checked the settings for the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels and
    > the transfer mode is set to "DMA if available" for both.

    What does it say for "Current Transfer Mode"?

    --
    Joe

    Joe S, Apr 2, 2005
  6. BigJIm

    Bratboy Guest

    "J Belly" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:21:38 +1200, Pon <> wrote:
    >
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>I had occasional similar experiences with PowerDVD when I had
    >>DVDIdlePro on my system. So - I might suggest a test whereby you
    >>remove any such protection defeat mechanisms you may have - DVD43 etc
    >>- and see what happens to the jerky playback then .....
    >>
    >>Good luck .......

    > Thanks for your reply. Could you please explain how to *remove
    > protection defeat mechanisms*? (What's DVD43?)

    Any chance that at the same time you changerd to newer DVDShrink that you
    might of switched brands of Blank DVD's also? I only ask as the few times I
    had any issues at the last few chapters was when I used some really lowgrade
    blanks. They seemed to not like being written completely full so would get
    pauses/stutering. Went back to the disc brand (Verbatim 4x Digital Movie
    DVD-R's) that I used to use and no such problem has cropped back up for me
    at least. The "Digital Movie" blanks are actually kind of neat, their done
    on the non burn side with art to look like Canned film reels hehe. Alot of
    times places like Best buy have em on sale think I picked up 3x 25 disc
    spindles for around $36.
    Cheers

    Bratboy, Apr 2, 2005
  7. BigJIm

    J Belly Guest

    On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 10:18:10 -0700, "Bratboy"
    <> wrote:

    >Any chance that at the same time you changerd to newer DVDShrink that you
    >might of switched brands of Blank DVD's also? I only ask as the few times I
    >had any issues at the last few chapters was when I used some really lowgrade
    >blanks. They seemed to not like being written completely full so would get
    >pauses/stutering. Went back to the disc brand (Verbatim 4x Digital Movie
    >DVD-R's) that I used to use and no such problem has cropped back up for me
    >at least. The "Digital Movie" blanks are actually kind of neat, their done
    >on the non burn side with art to look like Canned film reels hehe. Alot of
    >times places like Best buy have em on sale think I picked up 3x 25 disc
    >spindles for around $36.
    >Cheers

    Thanks for replying. No, I didn't change blank dvd brands. Also, the
    problem is with the original (studio) dvd's.

    J Belly, Apr 2, 2005
  8. BigJIm

    J Belly Guest

    On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 16:47:31 GMT, Joe S <> wrote:

    >J Belly wrote:
    >> On Sat, 2 Apr 2005 01:20:13 -0500, "BigJIm" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>jerky video is usually caused by a bad burn or the dma is not set for the
    >>>dvd player.

    >> I checked the settings for the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels and
    >> the transfer mode is set to "DMA if available" for both.

    >What does it say for "Current Transfer Mode"?

    For the Primary Channel, it lists "Ultra DMA Mode 5" for Device 0 and
    "Not Applicable" for Device 1.

    For the Secondary, "Ultra DMA Mode 2" for both Device 0 and 1.

    Thanks.

    J Belly, Apr 2, 2005