Re DVD+RW Stopped working

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fastmoggy, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. fastmoggy

    fastmoggy Guest

    "pengulin" <> wrote in message
    time (but that begs the question did you add anything to your
    > system recently, specifically a drive of any sort on the same cable). The
    > one question I still have is whether there was something obstructing the
    > drive door from opening (like a broken disk inside the drive or system
    > bezel)? Your last post seems to indicate this is not the case.

    Nothing new added and the disk was removed manually.
    The only thing i can think of that's changed was that i updated nero 6 which
    came with the drive but that was not until after the drive failed to see if
    there was a software problem.The drive is set to slave with a msi dvd reader
    set to master so all setup correctly, i checked to see if the jumper had
    come loose but was firmly in.
    My very last resort if there is some sort of device problem is to format the
    computer and try a fresh reinstall.
    Thinking about the reinstall i did do that a week ago changing the fat32 to
    ntfs would that have a bearing on the problem?
    Just seen this reference in the error log

    The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.
    Then everytime windows loaded i get

    fastmoggy, Jul 6, 2005

  2. fastmoggy

    pengulin Guest

    Fat32 converted to NTFS on your HD should have no bearing on this
    situation..

    > The driver detected a controller error on
    > \Device\CdRom1.

    I overlooked this when you last posted it. Seems to indicate some form of
    internal diagnostic on the drive. communicating with the driver. I suspect
    you do not want to reload Windows just to find out the drive is defective.

    pengulin, Jul 6, 2005

  3. fastmoggy

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "pengulin" <> wrote in message
    > Fat32 converted to NTFS on your HD should have no bearing on this
    > situation..
    >
    >> The driver detected a controller error on
    >> \Device\CdRom1.

    > I overlooked this when you last posted it. Seems to indicate some form of
    > internal diagnostic on the drive. communicating with the driver. I suspect
    > you do not want to reload Windows just to find out the drive is defective.

    I agree. It's very unlikely that it's the OS. Borrow a drive from a friend,
    put it on that cable, and see if it works. If it works, toss the original
    and buy yourself a new drive.

    Toolman Tim, Jul 7, 2005