Re: DVD-ROM drive freezes Win98SE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Shep©, Jul 8, 2003.

  1. Shep©

    Shep© Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 18:19:49 +1000, In this world we created Stephen
    Davidson <> wrote :

    >G'day All!
    >
    >My problem,
    >I've just recently installed a LiteOn 16X DVD-ROM drive replacing an
    >AOpen 52X CDROM drive (which worked fine and caused no problems). Now
    >whenever I put a CDROM disk into the DVD drive in Win98SE, it freezes
    >the computer stone cold. I can't eject the CDROM and I have to reboot
    >the puter.
    >
    >The DVD drive works fine under Win2000 or Red Hat Linux 8.0.
    >
    >I have a tri boot system in the following order -
    >1. Win98se (my main OS used)
    >2. Win 2000 with SP3
    >3. Red Hat Linux 8.0
    >
    >all in separate partitions using an AMD K6-2-550MHz CPU, FIC VA-503+
    >Motherboard with 320Mb SDRAM, Quantum 40Gb and 3.2 Gb HDD's and LS120
    >3.5" superdrive.
    >
    >I've tried turning autorun off on the DVD drive and when a CD is put in
    >the DVD drive, the puter won't freeze. However when I try to access the
    >CD the puter will freeze completely (I can eject the CD however).
    >I've tried removing the DVD drive in the Device Manager (which reappears
    >on the next bootup) but gives the same freezing problems as above.
    >I've had a look around the Microsoft Knowledge Base but there doesn't
    >appear to be anything in it about this problem.
    >I've booted with a Win98SE boot disk with CD drivers and I can access
    >the CD's no probs.
    >The DVD drive looks like it has the latest firware (CH11). The boot
    >screen and device manager identify the DVD drive as JLMS XJ-HD165H.
    >I've had a look around the LiteOn site but the FAQ/Problems sections
    >don't have anything on this.
    >It doesn't look like the drive is a dud, but it looks like it's a
    >software/driver issue with Win98SE for some dumb reason.
    >
    >I've run out of ideas. Can anyone suggest what to try, or how to fix the
    >freezing problem?
    >
    >Many thanks in advance!!
    >
    >Davo esq

    G'day :)

    Boot to Safemode and remove,"ALL" device entries under the Cdrom
    section in the Device Manager and re-boot to let windows re-install
    the drivers.
    Click here for why,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/drivers.html
    check for compatibility mode as well,