Re: DVD Replication (Follow-up from Dec. 1 post)

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by everythingafter, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Hi, I posted a topic on Dec. 1st about a company that I had in question.
    Here is the follow-up. Thanks for all who responded. Here is my original
    post:
    *****************
    Can anyone tell me what DVD replication really means? I am a retailer
    and am looking at buying some DVD's to sell, but on the company's
    website, they say this:

    *WE DO NOT SELL BURNT DVD'S. NO -R,+R, RW. THESE ARE AUTHENTIC
    REPLICATIONS!!! (DVD9 FORMAT A+ QUALITY) ALL DVD'S COME SHRINK WRAPPED!
    DELIVERY TIME IS 10-13 BUSINESS DAYS AFTER FUNDS CLEAR.
    ALL SHIPMENTS HAVE ORDER TRACKING, I.E., (UPS, FED-EX, DHL).*

    I want the same quality of DVD that you would find in walmart or
    blockbuster. Is this term just synonomous with them being mass
    distributed, or is replication like an inferior product to what's on the
    shelf at retail electronics stores? Thanks for your help.
    Jeremy S.
    Lightshire Designs
    ******************

    I see from looking on google that people were debating about the
    idea of replication and were needing the website of the company so they
    can look for themselves. The website if http://www.atoplinemovie.com
    I received some DVDs from them today and here is the information
    that I have so far:

    1. They all have a little DTS 9 logo on the front with "Dual Layers *
    Quality * Region 1" inside the logo.
    2. They are all sealed and look fine
    3. When I try to put the UPC number in ebay or half.com, it either
    doesn't bring up the right movie or doesn't bring up a movie at all.
    When I put in Harry Potter 3, it brought up the picture for Harry Potter
    2, for instance. The UPC seem to be similar up to the first 6 or 7
    numbers, then they vary from the Real numbers listed on ebay for that
    same release.
    4. The picture on the front looks great, but it often isn't precisely
    what ebay of half.com shows as the artwork for that title.
    5. They all have a NTSC 1 logo on the back
    6. Some of them have this hologram star pattern showing up as you turn
    the DVD cover in light.
    7. From looking at them, I would certainly have no problem buying them
    and I don't think anyone that I sell to locally would, but discerning
    ebayers might, I just don't know.
    Thanks a bunch for any comments you can give after this new information.
    Jeremy S.
    everythingafter, Jan 4, 2005

  2. everythingafter

    Justin Guest

    everythingafter wrote on [Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:12:45 GMT]:
    > Hi, I posted a topic on Dec. 1st about a company that I had in question.
    > Here is the follow-up. Thanks for all who responded. Here is my original
    > post:
    > *****************
    > Can anyone tell me what DVD replication really means? I am a retailer
    > and am looking at buying some DVD's to sell, but on the company's
    > website, they say this:
    >
    > *WE DO NOT SELL BURNT DVD'S. NO -R,+R, RW. THESE ARE AUTHENTIC
    > REPLICATIONS!!! (DVD9 FORMAT A+ QUALITY) ALL DVD'S COME SHRINK WRAPPED!
    > DELIVERY TIME IS 10-13 BUSINESS DAYS AFTER FUNDS CLEAR.
    > ALL SHIPMENTS HAVE ORDER TRACKING, I.E., (UPS, FED-EX, DHL).*
    >
    > I want the same quality of DVD that you would find in walmart or
    > blockbuster. Is this term just synonomous with them being mass
    > distributed, or is replication like an inferior product to what's on the
    > shelf at retail electronics stores? Thanks for your help.
    > Jeremy S.
    > Lightshire Designs
    > ******************
    >
    > I see from looking on google that people were debating about the
    > idea of replication and were needing the website of the company so they
    > can look for themselves. The website if http://www.atoplinemovie.com
    > I received some DVDs from them today and here is the information
    > that I have so far:
    >
    > 1. They all have a little DTS 9 logo on the front with "Dual Layers *
    > Quality * Region 1" inside the logo.
    > 2. They are all sealed and look fine
    > 3. When I try to put the UPC number in ebay or half.com, it either
    > doesn't bring up the right movie or doesn't bring up a movie at all.
    > When I put in Harry Potter 3, it brought up the picture for Harry Potter
    > 2, for instance. The UPC seem to be similar up to the first 6 or 7
    > numbers, then they vary from the Real numbers listed on ebay for that
    > same release.
    > 4. The picture on the front looks great, but it often isn't precisely
    > what ebay of half.com shows as the artwork for that title.
    > 5. They all have a NTSC 1 logo on the back
    > 6. Some of them have this hologram star pattern showing up as you turn
    > the DVD cover in light.
    > 7. From looking at them, I would certainly have no problem buying them
    > and I don't think anyone that I sell to locally would, but discerning
    > ebayers might, I just don't know.
    > Thanks a bunch for any comments you can give after this new information.
    > Jeremy S.

    They are bootlegs. You sell them on ebay and you should be locked up
    Justin, Jan 4, 2005

  3. everythingafter

    Biz Guest

    They are bootlegs just like you were told they would be a month ago when you
    inquired then.

    Biz, Jan 4, 2005
  4. If the DVDs are bootlegs (or if you suspect they are), you should not purchase
    the stock and then resell.

    It is strictly against eBay policy to sell pirated items. Any auctions may
    face cancellation and your eBay membership could be revoked. It could also
    lead to legal action against you if eBay decides to report your activities to
    the authorities.

    If you know they aren't genuine or if you aren't confident in the product's
    legitimacy, then don't buy for the purpose to resell. Quite simply, you can
    get yourself in very big trouble. - Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, Jan 4, 2005
  5. no need to be so quick on the matter...i got mixed opinions when i
    posted before...i read all the posts from google on the topic. some
    people told me they might be, others weren't so sure.

    everythingafter, Jan 4, 2005
  6. everythingafter

    Joe S Guest

    LASERandDVDfan wrote:
    > If the DVDs are bootlegs (or if you suspect they are), you should not purchase
    > the stock and then resell.
    >
    > It is strictly against eBay policy to sell pirated items. Any auctions may
    > face cancellation and your eBay membership could be revoked. It could also
    > lead to legal action against you if eBay decides to report your activities to
    > the authorities.
    >
    > If you know they aren't genuine or if you aren't confident in the product's
    > legitimacy, then don't buy for the purpose to resell. Quite simply, you can
    > get yourself in very big trouble. - Reinhart

    Are you now convinced that my assessment was correct?

    $5 each. Well, at least they use the word "replication". <eyeroll>

    Joe
    Joe S, Jan 4, 2005
  7. everythingafter

    Justin Guest

    everythingafter wrote on [Tue, 04 Jan 2005 08:10:40 GMT]:
    > no need to be so quick on the matter...i got mixed opinions when i
    > posted before...i read all the posts from google on the topic. some
    > people told me they might be, others weren't so sure.

    They are bootlegs. End of story.

    Justin, Jan 4, 2005
  8. Here is a very good example of what the DVD's I have look like:
    http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/sg/auction/88683590?aucview=0x23

    There seems to be variations on the DVD covers on a lot of them too. I
    saw several different covers for shrek 2 searching singapore auctions
    and for Garfield and Chonicles of Riddick, etc. They Are Region 1,
    shrin wrapped and look nice...but I'm afraid they are not legit...
    Thanks for everyone's help. Any more comments?
    litbylightning, Jan 4, 2005
  9. sorry..i should have clarified...i am everythingafter, the original
    poster. just posting from google groups and not from my home computer.
    litbylightning, Jan 4, 2005
  10. everythingafter

    Justin Guest

    litbylightning wrote on [4 Jan 2005 08:04:08 -0800]:
    > Here is a very good example of what the DVD's I have look like:
    > http://page.auctions.shopping.yahoo.com/sg/auction/88683590?aucview=0x23
    >
    > There seems to be variations on the DVD covers on a lot of them too. I
    > saw several different covers for shrek 2 searching singapore auctions
    > and for Garfield and Chonicles of Riddick, etc. They Are Region 1,
    > shrin wrapped and look nice...but I'm afraid they are not legit...
    > Thanks for everyone's help. Any more comments?

    How many times do you have to be told they are not legit?
    Justin, Jan 4, 2005
  11. to repeat, there were people who were saying both things when i was
    reading the thread from last time on google. i was just curious where
    those types of cd's were being sold...and wanted to find out for myself
    as well. anyway...can i have some advice about what i should do? if
    choose to report it, who do i go to? the MPAA? thanks for your help --
    litbylightning, Jan 4, 2005
  12. everythingafter

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    litbylightning wrote:
    > to repeat, there were people who were saying both things when i was
    > reading the thread from last time on google. i was just curious where
    > those types of cd's were being sold...and wanted to find out for myself
    > as well. anyway...can i have some advice about what i should do? if
    > choose to report it, who do i go to? the MPAA? thanks for your help --

    On USENet people will say anything. There are always going to be
    differences of opinion. You can bank on it.

    dick
    Dick Sidbury, Jan 4, 2005
  13. i know....the basic thing is...these DVDs are not what you would find
    in retail stores in america...if they are legit, they are overseas
    released, but that does me no good here.
    litbylightning, Jan 4, 2005
  14. everythingafter

    Justin Guest

    litbylightning wrote on [4 Jan 2005 14:28:24 -0800]:
    > i know....the basic thing is...these DVDs are not what you would find
    > in retail stores in america...if they are legit, they are overseas
    > released, but that does me no good here.

    Region 1 is USA and Canada. While there are a few discs with differences
    between the USA and Canadian releases, they're not like what you are
    seeing. They are bootlegs.
    Justin, Jan 4, 2005
  15. everythingafter

    Joe S Guest

    litbylightning wrote:
    > to repeat, there were people who were saying both things when i was
    > reading the thread from last time on google. i was just curious where
    > those types of cd's were being sold...and wanted to find out for myself
    > as well. anyway...can i have some advice about what i should do? if
    > choose to report it, who do i go to? the MPAA? thanks for your help --

    If I recall correctly, there were about 5 or 6 people telling you what
    you now know, and 1 person telling you they could be legit because they
    use the word "replication".

    So, now you know.

    Joe
    Joe S, Jan 5, 2005
  16. Thanks. Who I should report it to?
    litbylightning, Jan 5, 2005
  17. everythingafter

    Mike Kohary Guest

    everythingafter wrote:
    > Hi, I posted a topic on Dec. 1st about a company that I had in
    > question. Here is the follow-up. Thanks for all who responded. Here
    > is my original post:
    > *****************
    > Can anyone tell me what DVD replication really means? I am a retailer
    > and am looking at buying some DVD's to sell, but on the company's
    > website, they say this:
    >
    > *WE DO NOT SELL BURNT DVD'S. NO -R,+R, RW. THESE ARE AUTHENTIC
    > REPLICATIONS!!! (DVD9 FORMAT A+ QUALITY) ALL DVD'S COME SHRINK
    > WRAPPED! DELIVERY TIME IS 10-13 BUSINESS DAYS AFTER FUNDS CLEAR.
    > ALL SHIPMENTS HAVE ORDER TRACKING, I.E., (UPS, FED-EX, DHL).*
    >
    > I want the same quality of DVD that you would find in walmart or
    > blockbuster. Is this term just synonomous with them being mass
    > distributed, or is replication like an inferior product to what's on
    > the shelf at retail electronics stores? Thanks for your help.
    > Jeremy S.
    > Lightshire Designs
    > ******************
    >
    > I see from looking on google that people were debating about the
    > idea of replication and were needing the website of the company so
    > they can look for themselves. The website if
    > http://www.atoplinemovie.com I received some DVDs from them today
    > and here is the information that I have so far:
    >
    > 1. They all have a little DTS 9 logo on the front with "Dual Layers *
    > Quality * Region 1" inside the logo.
    > 2. They are all sealed and look fine
    > 3. When I try to put the UPC number in ebay or half.com, it either
    > doesn't bring up the right movie or doesn't bring up a movie at all.
    > When I put in Harry Potter 3, it brought up the picture for Harry
    > Potter 2, for instance. The UPC seem to be similar up to the first 6
    > or 7 numbers, then they vary from the Real numbers listed on ebay for
    > that same release.
    > 4. The picture on the front looks great, but it often isn't precisely
    > what ebay of half.com shows as the artwork for that title.
    > 5. They all have a NTSC 1 logo on the back
    > 6. Some of them have this hologram star pattern showing up as you turn
    > the DVD cover in light.
    > 7. From looking at them, I would certainly have no problem buying them
    > and I don't think anyone that I sell to locally would, but discerning
    > ebayers might, I just don't know.
    > Thanks a bunch for any comments you can give after this new
    > information. Jeremy S.

    What makes you think anything might be different now than it was then? Why
    do you persist in so badly wanting to believe a certain thing, even when
    it's obvious it's not true? If nothing else will convince you, your own
    point #3 should - that's the surest sign of all that THESE ARE ABSOLUTELY,
    POSITIVELY BOOTLEGS. Not that there was ever really any question to begin
    with, but now you know for sure.

    Mike Kohary, Jan 6, 2005
  18. everythingafter

    Mike Kohary Guest

    litbylightning wrote:
    > to repeat, there were people who were saying both things when i was
    > reading the thread from last time on google.

    I believe there was ONE person who said that, and he was clearly wrong.

    What is it that you're looking for here? Validation? What?

    Mike Kohary, Jan 6, 2005
  19. everythingafter

    Joe S Guest

    Joe S, Jan 6, 2005
  20. everythingafter

    Allan Guest

    NOBODY is saying they are legit.

    On 4 Jan 2005 12:07:25 -0800, "litbylightning" <>
    wrote:

    >to repeat, there were people who were saying both things when i was
    >reading the thread from last time on google. i was just curious where
    >those types of cd's were being sold...and wanted to find out for myself
    >as well. anyway...can i have some advice about what i should do? if
    >choose to report it, who do i go to? the MPAA? thanks for your help --

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Jan 11, 2005